Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All That Jazz

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
51 of 56

Mose Allison may not be strictly a Jazz singer, either, but as he says, "if the shoe fits, wear it."

52 of 56

Great rendition of a great song, although the lyrics are considerably different from the original English lyrics I posted in the Poetry thread:

53 of 56

Another seasonal piece, since it's almost spring. For the longest time, I thought the title was Joy of Spring, but regardless, it's a classic tune by a classic combo.

54 of 56

Here's a definitive version of a Coltrane composition, that's especially appropriate today. Also, it didn't even occur to me when I chose this selection, but the sax solophonist here, the much underrated Harold Land, was also the sax soloist on my previous selection, "Joy Spring".

55 of 56

This isn't a high quality video, but the vocal comes through fine. I'll Remember April was something of a signature song for Sassy -- she opened her shows with it often. As a bonus, her trio includes the great drummer Jimmy Cobb, who played with almost everyone, but notably on the great Miles Davis recording Kind of Blue. For a second bonus, the divine one also sings East of the Sun, something she recorded with Dizzy Gillespie when she was just starting out.

56 of 56

Since I mentioned drummer Jimmy Cobb's contribution to the classic Kind of Blue album by Miles Davis, it's a good time to play a piece from it. There's some question about whether this tune and the one that followed were incorrectly titled when the album was manufactured, in which case it was supposed to be called Flamenco Sketches rather than All Blues but I think not because it is a twelve-bar blues, but in 6/8 time rather than the normal 4/4. Cobb seamlessly switches from brushes to drumsticks as Miles takes off his trademark trumpet mute before soloing. A couple of musicians I've featured earlier, Bill Evans and John Coltrane, are also featured along with other greats Cannonball Adderley and Paul Chambers.