Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All That Jazz

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
61 of 73

Hi Phyllis,

Thanks for flagging! We're currently looking into why links to videos on this thread are broken.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
62 of 73

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Phyllis,

Thanks for flagging! We're currently looking into why links to videos on this thread are broken.

Thank you!!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
63 of 73

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Phyllis,

Valeria, much gratitude to you and the team for taking the time to fixing this. Cat Very Happy

I'm celebrating by posting a much-covered song by the originator, a short time before he passed away. It's a bit leisurely, but sometimes it's good to be laid back. FYI, the song is based on a Native American peyote chant. Also, the video has a typo, the title is Witchi Tai To, not Witchi To Tai. Cat Wink

Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
64 of 73

Not sure if I've ever posted this.  There is a radio station in New Orleans - WWOZ - which features jazz 24 hours a day.  They have streaming so it should be readily available to all.  It's a non-profit which consistently struggles so donations are greatly appreciated.  (For those who watched the HBO series Treme over the years, WWOZ is featured many times in the story.)  (And if this should interest you in watching the series, I was a background actor in almost every episode - although rarely seen!)

Highlighted
Community Guru
65 of 73

I occurred to me that I hadn't featured any Jazz cover versions of pop songs. Jazz musicians do use pop material on occasion. So here's an artist who specialized at this. She covered tunes like Here Comes the Sun, Isn't It a Pity, and even Everyone's Gone to the Moon, but I especially like this poignant rendition of the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band original. FYI, Ms. Simone is an accomplished pianist, having studied piano at Juilliard.

66 of 73

Not sure I've done unusual time signatures in this thread, so here's one in 11/8 time, with some fusion heavyweights. Of the 4 musicians on the track, the only one I never saw in person is the bassist Dave Holland, but maybe I'll catch him one of these days.

67 of 73

Haven't been diligent maintaining my thread, but it's just 3 days from the 100th anniversary of the birth of the immortal Charlie Parker, I had to post something. I could easily choose several dozen examples of his opus, but here's one of his celebrated compositions, and as a bonus, a cool vocalise version by singer/pianist Bob Dorough.

Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
68 of 73

Thanks, John! Just listening to the first eight bars makes me feel happier.

Highlighted
Riz T Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
69 of 73

I love Diana Krall. Hope you all enjoy this.

Highlighted
Riz T Member Since: Jun 29, 2019
70 of 73

Another one. This is Bria Skonberg.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS