cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An applicant by any other name

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
1 of 21

Logically, if 'proposal' is preferable to 'application', then there ought to be a term preferable to 'applicant', but I can't think of one that's any good. 'Proposer' is obvious, but seems inadequate to me. This might be your chance to make a lasting impact on Upwork -- come up with a good term, and you might be seeing it on every job description. Cat Surprised

2 of 21

I just googled synonyms for applicant lol. "Prospects" seems to go nicely with proposal but doesn't sound appropriate!

Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
3 of 21

Ok, my topic hasn't attracted as much attention as I hoped for, so I will 'propose' one myself -- 'candidate'. I wish it didn't have a political connotation, but it's a decent alternative I think. Out of all the writers, editors, translators, and so forth contributing to the forum, surely a couple more could participate in this topic. Cat Frustrated

4 of 21

'"...candidate'. I wish it didn't have a political connotation, but it's a decent alternative I think..."

John, I wouldn't go with candidate myself and not just because it carries a political connotation. I just don't like the way it seems to send me back to school to do or die (read pass or fail). Who wants the tension that comes with it?

Anyway, I'm poking holes at your suggestion/proposal (not the proposal of applicationSmiley Happy) just because I've nothing good to offer as substitute.

Looking forward to more 'proposals' too...

Ace Contributor
Rudi G Member Since: Jun 6, 2009
5 of 21

How about 'Connector'? Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 21

A) "applicant" works just fine.

B) I am certainly not seeing a better alternative.

Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
7 of 21

Smiley LOL

"How about 'Connector'?"

How creative Rudi! 'Connector', the proud owner of 5 dozen connects before use or additional pay...

Or 'Connector', the proud spender of connects to make a proposal... mh... there's seems to be something there...Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
8 of 21

John

Preston says he can't see a better alternative, and I agree. On a site that can call a conversation a room, they might just change it to anything at a whim: okapi, or suitcase....

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 21

Dang it, Stephen, don't tempt them or give them ideas like this. If I start seeing myself listed as an "okapi" when I send in a job proposal, I'm blaming you.

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
10 of 21

RE: "Dang it, Stephen, don't tempt them or give them ideas like this. If I start seeing myself listed as an "okapi" when I send in a job proposal, I'm blaming you"

Ehm.... Stephen/Preston , I think reading " 17 Okapis have applied for this job." is more bearable than reading :

"17 suitcases have applied for this job." Seriously .

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS