cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An applicant by any other name

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
11 of 21

You guys DO know an Okapi is family of the giraffe although it looks like a cross between a giraffe and a zebra...don't you? Soooo...we would be *20 creatures who don't know exactly what they are supposed to be* have applied....well....I have seen some people applying for jobs....excuse me...sending in job proposals ... for editing, whereas when you read their profiles you go *ah...ello ello.....do you realise you can't actually speak English properly?*

okapi

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
12 of 21

Irene, thank you for posting the photo of an okapi.

It is indeed a handsome animal.

For the record, it was Stephen's suggestion that people who submit job applications - now called proposals - be called "okapis."

I actually would not mind if Upwork rebranded itself to become "Okapi.com" (yeah, I know that domain name is already in use. They would need to buy it, or become "Okapiwork.com.")

They could have a whole brown fur and zebra stripes visual motif instead of the current aggressive green.

I think a lot of contractors would actually support this move (especially the Elancers), although I doubt this will happen.

Community Guru
13 of 21

@ Preston. Lol...I think it (the Okapi) has an identity crises. However, having said that, I sometimes think Upwork has as well. Be that as it may, the green is indeed  an eye sore causing an eye sore... *Shrugs* Oh well, ours is not to reason why...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
14 of 21

@Irene B wrote:

You guys DO know an Okapi is family of the giraffe although it looks like a cross between a giraffe and a zebra...don't you? Soooo...we would be *20 creatures who don't know exactly what they are supposed to be* have applied....well....I have seen some people applying for jobs....excuse me...sending in job proposals ... for editing, whereas when you read their profiles you go *ah...ello ello.....do you realise you can't actually speak English properly?*

okapi

This looks like a really genetically confused deer.

Community Guru
Oreofe J Member Since: May 8, 2015
15 of 21

RE: Irene, thank you for posting the photo of an okapi. It is indeed a handsome animal.

Dear Irene/Preston.

1. Thank you for making my weekend with  the picture and rejoinder . Smiley Happy

2. I would love to do more than Kudo your post and give you guys a well deserved treat.Smiley HappyRobot Very Happy

3. Unfortunately , I am yet to recover from the sticthes I got from LOL - Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

4.  So what do I say except to say 10Ks ( Kudos ) to you both.

Here is to the Okapis and everyone else on this thread. With so much competition on this platform , May you never become an endangered specie.

Regards.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
16 of 21

How Irene

I do indeed know what an okapi is. I also know that a room is an enclosed space bounded by walls, a floor and a ceiling ), with a hole somewhere for entry and exit. Unless it's a conversation or a message thread, that is. What's in a word...?😕

Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
17 of 21

Maybe they forgot/delayed to change the name on the client side?

On the job posting it shows "Applicants" but with the latest update it should be "Proposals".

I dont understand why "Active Candidacies" ... why not "Active Discussions"?

Community Guru
18 of 21

@ Stephen B.

What's in a word? Well, as Juliette so eloquently put it in the balcony scene: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose. By any other name would smell as sweet."

Meh...symantics...I loveth it.

Community Guru
19 of 21

@Oreofe J.

Glad to oblige. I find myself with only a writing job at the moment as my usual bag of goodies has not yet arrived. Being a consummate work-addict I find myself at wit's end, ergo the dilly-dallying on the threads 'o woe betides me'.

*cheeky wink* glad I could make you smile.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
20 of 21

Irene, I not sure who Juliet is... Did she post about this topic on another thread?

Anyway, to answer your question, I think "proposals" and "applicants" are great terms to use.

We have "applicants" now, but if it was not "applicant",

"proposals" would still be a perfect term.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS