🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » And the Color of the Year is ...................
Page options
allergywriter
Community Member

And the Color of the Year is ................................

So Pantone has announced the color of the year and it is drum roll please....................

Ultra Violet

https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2018

Get ready to hurl.  Everything "trendy" will be purple this year instead of green.

Gag

13 REPLIES 13
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I always looked out for this before (in another lifetime). I liked the previous colours better (2016 down). 

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 12.14.20 PM.png

~ Avery
Upwork
reinierb
Community Member

@Cheryl K wrote:

So Pantone has announced the color of the year and it is drum roll please....................

Ultra Violet

https://www.pantone.com/color-of-the-year-2018

Get ready to hurl.  Everything "trendy" will be purple this year instead of green.

Gag

Funny that they should choose a "colour" that is based on a group of frequencies in the EM spectrum that is invisible to human vision.   

That was my first thought!

The color of the year is............invisible!

LOL

If you look at the palettes, the only one that is remotely visually pleasing (IMHO) is the Desert Sky.

At least it's not millennial pink. 

Homage to Prince ... Purple Rain maybe .... ?

At least it looks like that ...

1_iK2-DcxdsGyIeQ7_lmVjGw.jpeg

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
reinierb
Community Member

@Moutacim L wrote:

reinierb
Community Member

@Moutacim L wrote:

Don't think it's a homage to Prince. What this is, is a molecular cloud in deep space, which like all other molecular clouds, does not contain water in densities that would allow rain to form. 

moutcom
Community Member

@Rainier

here

images.jpeg

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
reinierb
Community Member

@Moutacim L wrote:

@Rainier

here

images.jpeg

That's acid rain, for sure. Might have been created by industrial pollution, or perhaps by one of Pantone's interior designers that was high on speed.

I think I'm happy about the purple violet (I've been updated) because I'm considering the alternatives.  I don't think I could handle a full year of pink either. I think a lot of clairvoyants and new age practitioners in California will be ecstatic over this announcement. 

And Pantone does make colours for suitable for every application. 

A few years ago, the Australian government commissioned market research firm Gfk to discover what the world's ugliest color was. They wanted to know what colour to make the cigarette packaging to dissuade people from smoking (personally, I think anyone who was really dying for a smoke would probably rescue a smoldering butt from a dungheap without so much as two thoughts about it, so I can't see how something like the colour of the package would be a deterrant).

The firm discovered Pantone 488c. 

https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/448-C

I'm not sure if they still make Porches in this colour. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 11.18.46 AM.png
 The question is, would the car put you off smoking?

@Renata

I have never liked being so close to the ground in a car, but the colour of this car makes me think of what happens when as a passenger you are **** scared of the speeds your driver will go to test the car and to impress you! The colour of that car would make me take up smoking or to start again. 

I like purple too. It seems like a royal, stately colour - unsuitable of course, for a Porsche - but well, I like it better than pink - menopausal or millennial - which I can see and paint (in various shades) even if it is not present in the spectrum. By the way, from my artist's perspective, purple is not the same as ultra violet, which has more blue than red (depending on what reds and blues one uses - cool or warm). 

Purple and all shades thereof are my absolute favorite colors.  That may be why I had a purple mustang in the past and part of my major email is purplepony.  Smiley Very Happy   

Oh and by the way, I never use Pantone - interesting word combination. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths