Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: And this is another reason why i'm moving from upwork

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
31 of 90

@Natanael R wrote:

Your answer sounds like i i'm a scammer and im angry because upwork asked me to verify my identity but upwork has pictures of me, my passport, invoices,

Natanael, I don't know if your answer was intended to me since you don't quote the messages but if it is the case, please rest assured that I'm not implying that you are a scammer. I sincerely think that you are an honest person and that you made the right choice by deciding to leave Upwork.

Many people spend a lot of time complaining about Upwork but they stick around despite all. They may have valid reason to complain, but by staying on an online workplace where they are not happy they are only building more and more frustration.

You are not one of those people, you know that you're able to do very well without Upwork. You expressed your honest opinion and you will act accordingly.

And yes, Upwork has your paperwork. Now they want to see you in real (at least via a webcam) just to check that it's you. Just as they do with many others.

But you don't have to agree with this. You have the right to your own opinions. Probably we won't see you around anymore but I sincerely wish you all the best and a lot of success. Upwork is only one small island on the Internet and there are many other places where you can establish yourself and thrive.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
32 of 90
Margarete, I can only speak for myself, but yes, the video is one way, so you don't see the Upwork rep but what difference does that make? It's not someone you'd recognize like Valeria, though it would have been nice if that were the case. Also, in my case, it wasn't through Skype but rather some video conference site I was unfamiliar with.
33 of 90
This widget could not be displayed.

@John K wrote:
Margarete, I can only speak for myself, but yes, the video is one way, so you don't see the Upwork rep but what difference does that make? It's not someone you'd recognize like Valeria, though it would have been nice if that were the case. Also, in my case, it wasn't through Skype but rather some video conference site I was unfamiliar with.

John, are you sure that this was not the "Can you hear me?" scam? Maybe psychological reasons, so that you could not see the reaction. This happened to me twice in client interviews with two persons involved on the client side. As I did not expect this I felt uncomfortable during the interview situation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
34 of 90

Margarete, if it *was* a scam, then it happened right after I clicked the link for video verification, and as soon as I completed it, pretty much, the hold that was on my account was removed, so either the scammer has extremely good timing or is somehow able to add & remove account holds. Also, the only information they got from me is my address, and you can look that up for a fee using various internet services anyway. (I'm using the term 'hold' loosely, to mean temporarily unable to submit proposals, etc.)

35 of 90

On another topic, Vladimir wrote, "Some of the Community users featured on the left side of our forums (aka Community Gurus), who are mostly long-term users like yourself and spend a lot of time helping other users in the Community, did receive the same message as you did and had to verify their profile."

So, was verification requested from users *because* they're Community Gurus, or was this just an example to show that the OP was not singled out for verification?

Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
36 of 90

Coffee on keyboard, John.  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
37 of 90

Wendy, this may be coffee break, but I seldom drink the stuff, save for an occasional visit to Star$$.

I started to get a bit paranoid and logged into help center and found the chat transcript for my video verification, so if this was a scam, the scammers have hacked Upwork Help Center. Also, for anyone interested, join.me was the platform used for the video call.

Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
38 of 90

@John K wrote:

I started to get a bit paranoid and logged into help center and found the chat transcript for my video verification, so if this was a scam, the scammers have hacked Upwork Help Center. Also, for anyone interested, join.me was the platform used for the video call.

I can confirm. My experience has been exactly the same. Pretty smooth process, it may seem a bit weird or "scam alike", but it's definitely legitimate. And the Upwork rep was very kind, I must add.

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Highlighted
Community Guru
39 of 90

deleted by me, even though this is in Coffee Break

Mattia G Member Since: Mar 10, 2014
40 of 90

Deleted by popular demand... sorry, guys ^^"

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”
―Stephen King, The Gunslinger