Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

And this is another reason why i'm moving from upwork

This widget could not be displayed.
11 of 90

@Kat C wrote:

Oh yes. And it happened when I was the Featured Contributor. So, the wheels of Upwork powers rolls over *just* about everyone at some point.

There are several Kat C.s. Luckily, my name is unique - up to now unless there are hidden duplicates. 

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
12 of 90

@Margarete M wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

Oh yes. And it happened when I was the Featured Contributor. So, the wheels of Upwork powers rolls over *just* about everyone at some point.

There are several Kat C.s. Luckily, my name is unique - up to now unless there are hidden duplicates. 

Yeah, well, unless they had my exact profile picture which is the same one used for the Featured Contributor...I'm sure mine stands out regardless of the name Smiley Wink

13 of 90

@Kat C wrote:

@Margarete M wrote:

@Kat C wrote:

Yeah, well, unless they had my exact profile picture which is the same one used for the Featured Contributor...I'm sure mine stands out regardless of the name Smiley Wink

I was trying to find any logical explanation.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
14 of 90

Good point. 

I could see that being the case...

Community Guru
Mike Y Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
15 of 90

@Natanael R wrote:

When you create a bank account you are asked for a few documents to validate your identity. One day after 5 years they want to verify it again with an interview and there's 2 options:

1- Call you and ask you to go the the bank office to validate it.

2- Block your bank account from receiving any payment but you can still withdraw cash until you verify it in a local office.

Which one would you prefer?

you are trying to manipulate with this statement, it wasn't that so dramatic as you are trying to compare with bank account, you were only limited for submitting proposals before you can proceed, but all the rest functionality was available to you, i had to do the same recently.

in this particular case you are overreacting, just consider it as your personal contribution to an overall UW marketplace health, no need to intimidate about an another reason to move from uw.

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
Community Guru
16 of 90

@Tiffany S wrote:

That said, the practice of freezing ability to submit proposals BEFORE giving notice that you're place in the rotation is up rather than giving a time period in which you must verify to prevent being blocked from submitting proposals is 100% unacceptable and unprofessional. I don't blame you a bit for considering leaving Upwork for that reason.

there is only one excuse i can take for this being done in that way to 'do now' rather than 'do asap'. i am not quite sure why i was in a list to verify my account, since i've did that multiple times for different reasons (add withdrawal, register, confirm account, etc), but this period for inability to submit offers was short for me, because i need that functionality. i don't think i would rush for verification if it was a nice to do thing, humans are lazy.

i wasnt much upset by the fact that i've been force to do verification, but personally it was like, you need it - okay i'll do now and step over it

"Mentally melting down hear the sound of the same old sound going round" Stuck Mojo
Community Guru
17 of 90

i'd take account verification and move on, there is so much here that needs fixing, but it is not worth time explaining 1000+1 time again and again, if you can find clients and work with these circumstances and you DO make profit, disregard all those procedure statements, just pass it and resume work, as i did, took me 10 minutes of my time, in english, was no a big deal for my profile that has a volume of work done over the years on odesk/upwork

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
18 of 90

Hi Natanael,

I'm sorry you had to go through the procedure of verifying your profile. I'm sure if you check the comment posted on the same topic in the Community, you'll find that a number of long-term Upwork users were requested to undergo the same verification process. I can assure you your account wasn't flagged but rather, as our agent explained, the effort is driven by our desire to maintain a secure marketplace for all users. Please check our announcement and follow-up replies in order to confirm the information I shared above.

Regarding your VAT status, I'll ask someone from our team to review the information you provided on your ticket and follow up with you directly to assist you further. Please keep checking your ticket for further updates and I hope you won't make any rash decisions, and will continue to build on the tremendous success you've achieved on Upwork thus far.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Ace Contributor
Natanael R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
19 of 90

Thanks, btw that link says :

Unfortunately, sometimes we see fraudulent profiles, and to prevent this, on occasion we need to verify the information a freelancer has included in their profile. With this new program, some freelancers may be asked to join a brief video chat with an Upwork

Can you confirm that this process will be done to every single account in upwork or it is random?

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
20 of 90

Hi Natanael,

I'd like to confirm the goal of the profile verification effort by sharing a more vivid example. Some of the Community users featured on the left side of our forums (aka Community Gurus), who are mostly long-term users like yourself and spend a lot of time helping other users in the Community, did receive the same message as you did and had to verify their profile.

Let me know if you need further confirmation as I do understand that the message you noted can be understood differently than its original context.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS