Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
41 of 90

deleted

Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
42 of 90

@John K wrote:

I understand DT movie being a sequel, taking place after the last DT book, but leaving out Eddie Dean & Oy is leaving out a lot. Cat Sad

Instead of hijacking this thread, why don't you guys go to someplace to talk about this? I suggest Derry, Maine. The weather is nice they say. And it's calm. Yes, they had some kids being missing and found dead, but that was 30 years ago. It's all history now.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
43 of 90

My bad, mea maxima culpa. I will delete my offending posts now.

Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
44 of 90

I don't know why some freelancers would be protected from identity verification and why Upwork should wait for a complaint to be filled before verifying accounts.

Some fraudsters manage to get top rated. Some top rated freelancers may be skilled scam artists. While identity verification won't solve all the issues, it is a step towards a better platform.

I don't understand why some people get upset because they may be verified and why they think identity verification is only OK if it applies to others.

If Upwork wants to verify me, they are welcome to do so.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
45 of 90

@Rene K wrote:

I don't understand why some people get upset because they may be verified and why they think identity verification is only OK if it applies to others.

They're welcome to verify me, too--in as much detail as they want. I simply want them to show a modicum of respect and professionalism in the process by initiating that process and allowing an opportunity to respond and complete it BEFORE they start interfering with the conduct of my business.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
46 of 90

@Tiffany S wrote:

@Rene K wrote:

They're welcome to verify me, too--in as much detail as they want. I simply want them to show a modicum of respect and professionalism in the process by initiating that process and allowing an opportunity to respond and complete it BEFORE they start interfering with the conduct of my business.

Yep. I had no problem with being verified.

The only snafu in the process is not allowing proposals. On that day, I was in the midst of submitting a few proposals.

Also, the only webcam I had at the time was via my laptop, and of course Windows 10 needed a reconfig to pick up my wireless signal. 

I tried twice to be connected to the video verification person but was disconnected. Finally, the verification happened - and more quickly than the time it took for me to connect haha!

Other than that, verify away...

As agreed with Tiff on another thread, I wish I had more of a heads up regarding the minor work disruption. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Natanael R Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
47 of 90

@Rene K wrote:

I don't know why some freelancers would be protected from identity verification and why Upwork should wait for a complaint to be filled before verifying accounts.

Because they already verified the account long time ago. If they need another verification after a few years of reliable work at least let them know before "doing a magic thing" ( i still don't know how to name it) in their account.

Will give you an example:

When you create a bank account you are asked for a few documents to validate your identity. One day after 5 years they want to verify it again with an interview and there's 2 options:

1- Call you and ask you to go the the bank office to validate it.

2- Block your bank account from receiving any payment but you can still withdraw cash until you verify it in a local office.

Which one would you prefer?

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
48 of 90
This widget could not be displayed.

@Rene K wrote:

Some fraudsters manage to get top rated. Some top rated freelancers may be skilled scam artists. While identity verification won't solve all the issues, it is a step towards a better platform.

I do not have a problem to be verified. However, if you want to detect fraud and be successful it does make sense to be more selective in order to be effective and not to waste ressources. If the police tries to elucidate a crime they do not suspect the whole population of a country but investigate selectively.

I hate if ressources are wasted and work is not done in the most effective way. I think it was not necessary to investigate for example if Featured Contributur Kat is genuine.

Yes, there are top rated scammers but in most cases this can be detected by irregularities in their profile already.  Zeal without knowledge is fire without light. This investigation should be done selectively not randomly.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
49 of 90

Well, the verification process might indeed be selective.  If two freelancers "happen" to have the same profile

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
50 of 90

Well, the verification process may well be selective and not random.  If two (or more) freelancers have the same name and/or the same profile, it would make sense to verify those ids.  And we freelancers would not necessarily know that this was going on...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS