Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any musicians out there?

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
21 of 27

This is my sweetheart piano at Key West's "Square One" restauarnt.  In this gig, I played on Friday and Saturday nights.  Simple deal.  Dinner before piano at a 4-star restaurant.  The playing for 2-1/2 hours at one of the islands treasured "locals" restauarant =s the place tourists search hard to find.

So fit and tan back in those days - now a decade to seven years ago.  Had to relocate to Nashville which is Music City but in any place that is not a resort island 150 miles out into the ocean, the local musicians blow me off the charts.  I just listen now.  But, I had my time, I had my years, and I had my sweetheart pianos.  I wonder if I will ever get to do it again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
22 of 27

LOL. My tan has faded.  It is way too cold in Nashville and the sun hides for four months.

Highlighted
Holly M Member Since: Feb 6, 2020
23 of 27

I played the piano and cornet. But singing was my passion. Looking back I wish I been more involved with my cornet. It really is a good little instrument. I just wanted to say I am a little new to the community here, but I love how many professional artists there are in one place. Thanks for sharing and keep up with the violin!! 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
24 of 27

Holly M wrote:

I played the piano and cornet. But singing was my passion. Looking back I wish I been more involved with my cornet. It really is a good little instrument. I just wanted to say I am a little new to the community here, but I love how many professional artists there are in one place. Thanks for sharing and keep up with the violin!! 

Welcome, Holly! 

Speaking of cornet and brass instruments, I also marched Drum & Bugle Corps as part of the colorguard. I was in a world class corps in college, but our brass and percussion were mostly high school students, first year corps members and not as developed, while our colorguard members had all been performing for many years and highly experienced. It was an interesting combination, but we loved those kids, and they were fun to perform with. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
25 of 27

I wanted to learn an instrument but being the forth of five kids means

a) you do not get to do something your brothers didn't do

b) little money (I always hated wearing my older brothers clothes)

I ended up with free recorder lessons in primary school which I quit after 4 weeks because I hated the other girls in my class. I started again in forth grade after the sommer holidays and after the Easter break was told to join the group that had started the year before and I dropped out of. That was the end of my recorder lessons. Around that time I had my first crush and begged my parent to allow me to learn the cornet. You can guess the answer.

Then mid-November my parent came with a surprise and told me I will start learning my instrument after all. A windband orchester in the next village is looking for new members and pays for the greater part of the fees. In return I had to take care of our rabbits. Next friday, after the Simpsons, I went to the music school exited to learn the cornet and came home with a clarinet. My parents got it wrong. So I learned the "wrong" instrument and spend the next 6 years taking care of our rabbit breeding. The houry rate was the worst imaginable. I worked about 45h each month (1h daily for the feeding and cleaning the stables every weekend) and my parents paid €10 monthly for my clarinet lessons.

When I was 19 I was set to become a professional musician but experienced an acute hearing loss due to poor blood circulation in my ears. That was the end of my professional career and it also prevented me from playing any instrument for some 2 years because all I heard after ~10 minutes was just a sound muddle. A friend then asked me if I want to play sax in a big band. I never tried the sax before but fell in love with it and my hearing as well. I played sax for ~20 years and then decided I want to try clarinet again. I had moved to a different part of Germany and noone knew that I had played clarinet before. One word got arround that I could play I was hired almost every weekend to support other windband orchesters in the area and made more money in one afternoon then I could have ever dreamed of with cleaning stables.

When I moved to Norway the first thing I did was join a local orchester. I played until I took a maternaty leave. Once I got back to playing it took three weeks until I manage to part with some of the tip of my right finger tip in the grinder. I still cannot play the clarinet (probably never will again) and they already have too many people playing sax (tenor and alto) but there is this black soprano I fell in love with at first sight a few years ago...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
26 of 27

Here's another poem I like very much.

Unlearning the Piano by Alexa Selph

After all these years, it turns out to be

like anything else: making love,

baking bread, holding a newborn baby.

The mind is a voyeur.

Shut it out. There's no getting it right,

only the music, the shape of the phrase,

the secret bound up in the silence

of the rest, the forward motion

as you travel from the relative minor

to the tonic key, moving beyond

metaphor to the thing itself----

my body turning in time to yours,

the dough rising to the warmth,

the baby opening her mouth to be fed.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
27 of 27

You all are putting me to shame! I need to go practice!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS