cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Re: Anyone else like to grumble about the time tracker/work diary?

Highlighted
Nancy K Member Since: Oct 24, 2019
1 of 35

Just sippin' my morning coffee and complaining about the work diary. I'm top rated, 100% of clients would rehire me and all of my ratings are five-star. 

And yet if you look at my most recent work diary it shows that I had 2:10 "activity" level. Yes, because RESEARCH is a part of good content writing and something for which I should not just be paid but also applauded. Since many people just slap things together and I do a deep dive.

The client was thrilled with my work and immediately extended my contract and didn't ask a single question about the low activity but man does it get my goat. 

Anyway... thanks for letting me vent. Anyone else annoyed by this archaic metric?

Oh! And let me not forget the fact that you can't track on a chromebook which is my go to!

Done grumbling (for now)... share a pic of your dog.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 35

I don't do much research unless I'm writing something product specific, but when I am reading material I will use the down arrow key to scroll to show keyboard activity. Gotta do whatcha gotta do.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
3 of 35

I hadn't thought of that but have been doing it since, thanks Jennifer! It's really to appease my own neuroses... the clients never complain. I just find it a useless feature.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
4 of 35

When I am on an hourly project I use the time tracker almost exclusively and then when I have low activity for periods I was working I just fill in manual time.  The way I see the tt is a useful tool with new clients to ensure that things go smoothly and I get paid.  As I progress with a client I just use it to keep track of blocks of time when I know I am working.

If I ever have a long term client complain about my existing activity levels I will know what they really want is an employee they can micro-manage and so I will exist the situation as soon and as gracefully as I can.

I believe the tool is a small comfort to new clients afraid they are going to get cheated by unscrupilous freelancers.  But I wouldn't work for long with a client that took it seriously.

5 of 35

Oh yeah, if anyone ever nitpicked about it that'd be a red flag. I totally get that this is a ME issue...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
6 of 35

I've earned over $55k on hourly contracts so far, logging hours manually. It's not for everybody and it's not for every type of work. My research projects typically take several weeks or months and I can ease into the project and the relationship and establish mutual trust before either one of us has too much exposure. I also have decades of experience that serves me well (99% of the time) in sussing out which clients to even begin with. For me, it's worth exchanging the payment protection for not having futz with the tracker. It's too distracting. If my work was mainly short-turnaround, one-off projects I would probably have a different perspective.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
7 of 35

My clients don't even seem to know that they can look at my work diary. But I agree with Jen. I'll click around if necessary if I'm looking for stock photos or whatever.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 35

Kelly B wrote:

My clients don't even seem to know that they can look at my work diary. But I agree with Jen. I'll click around if necessary if I'm looking for stock photos or whatever.

They can see your computer name, and all of my computers on the network have inappropriate names. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Can't even type my main work machine name on here cuz it'll  just get removed. lol

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cat L Member Since: Dec 13, 2019
9 of 35

CRIKEY they can see our puter names??? My current client uses Slack and (sorta) taught me how to use it as well, to track the project and so on. Well, he nearly saw a whole lot more than the computer name when I landed in chat with MY CAMERA ON - which most of these things never do! THANK Gawd it was pointing at the ceiling - because yours truly works commando.

Might as well just give it up on some days. :} LOLOL

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 35

Catherine L wrote:

CRIKEY they can see our puter names??? My current client uses Slack and (sorta) taught me how to use it as well, to track the project and so on. Well, he nearly saw a whole lot more than the computer name when I landed in chat with MY CAMERA ON - which most of these things never do! THANK Gawd it was pointing at the ceiling - because yours truly works commando.

Might as well just give it up on some days. :} LOLOL

Yes, my computer name is WorkHo 😎😎😎

Take those screenshots Upwork and get that computer name teeeheee

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS