cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else like to grumble about the time tracker/work diary?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
31 of 35

Not a developer. I accept both hourly and fixed-price contracts on UW. Off the platform, I do almost exclusively fixed-price. I don't use UW's time tracker but I have my own. It's the only way to keep track of how long things take, so I can put together accurate quotes. Every weekend, I run a time sheet and then, for any UW hourly contracts I worked on that week, log the hours manually. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Bruce D Member Since: Oct 1, 2015
32 of 35
I appreciated everyone's POV on this. Perhaps I should be less dogmatic.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Sarah C Member Since: May 12, 2019
33 of 35

This is why I don't do hourly projects. I could probably make more money if I did, but I take a million breaks a day. I rarely work a full hour at a time, ever. I just charge what I think the project is worth based on the topic, and how much of a pain in the you-know-whats it's going to be. 

That time tracker stresses me out in all kinds of ways. Maybe one day I'll get over it. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
34 of 35

Sarah C wrote:

This is why I don't do hourly projects. I could probably make more money if I did, but I take a million breaks a day. I rarely work a full hour at a time, ever. I just charge what I think the project is worth based on the topic, and how much of a pain in the you-know-whats it's going to be. 

That time tracker stresses me out in all kinds of ways. Maybe one day I'll get over it. 

That's one reason I prefer hourly. The main reason is payment protection and I get paid for the hours I work without getting stiffed or worrying about scope creep, but I also like hourly because 4 hours is 4 hours of work. I have a bad habit of turning 3 hours of work into an all day thing if it's escrow.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zeeshan M Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
35 of 35

Jennifer M wrote:

Sarah C wrote:

That's one reason I prefer hourly. The main reason is payment protection and I get paid for the hours I work without getting stiffed or worrying about scope creep, but I also like hourly because 4 hours is 4 hours of work. I have a bad habit of turning 3 hours of work into an all day thing if it's escrow.

99% of the time - which incidentally is my JSS score- I don't apply for hourly contract. 

A. I do not want "compromising" screenshots to be recorded.

B. I have my own rhythm and flow of getting the job done. If I turn on the music on YouTube while working on project and it gets recorded, then it may give client another excuse to refuse payment. Again I never used Desktop App before and I know you can edit out the screenshot, still I find it to be intrusive and then you have to do tedious logging. 

Because if you don't then you may not be proctected for hourly bid. So I just think it is simpler for me to do fixed contract. At any rate, landing clients is proving tad difficult regardless. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS