🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Anyone else noticed those "likely to get ...
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

Anyone else noticed those "likely to get hired soon" fire things on profiles?

When did this start to happen?

wot.jpg

What next? "SALE - Freelancer half price this week??"

Plus the irony of the "call to action" being "Flag as inappropriate"

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Martina P wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Never saw it.  Mine would be hilarious as I've maybe had 54 invitations over 8 years!

Maybe they have a "puuuleeezzzeee somebody invite her" flag for that... 😉

Maybe you'll get an icon like this.

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

wot.jpg

I'm lost. What did you do to get that pop-up?

Never saw it.  Mine would be hilarious as I've maybe had 54 invitations over 8 years!

Mary W wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Maybe you'll get an icon like this.

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

wot.jpg

Got invites, it appears...

I spotted that and "has been viewed XXX times recently" on a number of profiles. I assume it's another of their experiments.

I actually believe it is a hindrance more than anything else. If a client sees that, they will assume that I am either too busy or too picky to accept their invite.

Fire Emoji (Apple/iOS Version)

I have seen this just now on the job feed:

Capture.JPG

I *DO* like that a lot!

Petra R wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

wot.jpg

Got invites, it appears...

I spotted that and "has been viewed XXX times recently" on a number of profiles. I assume it's another of their experiments.

I actually believe it is a hindrance more than anything else. If a client sees that, they will assume that I am either too busy or to picky to accept their invite.

Capture.JPG

I *DO* like that a lot!

But HOW did you see the fire sale thing? And how do you know how many times someone's profile has been viewed? I've been on Upwork for four years now and I still know next to nothing about how anything actually works. (Not that I let that stop me from doling out the advice, though.)

Christine A wrote:

But HOW did you see the fire sale thing? And how do you know how many times someone's profile has been viewed? I've been on Upwork for four years now and I still know next to nothing about how anything actually works. (Not that I let that stop me from doling out the advice, though

I saw it on a few profiles over the last few days. Most said "invited xxx times" and I am pretty certain I saw "viewed XXX times"

The placing is bad (in a visual unit with "flag as inappropriate") and I still think a high number there is counterproductive 😞

Petra R wrote:

I actually believe it is a hindrance more than anything else. If a client sees that, they will assume that I am either too busy or too picky to accept their invite.

so, you have to reject some invites to get that flag appears in your profile?
cause I have lately been accepting all invites even the ones that are not likely gonna end with a contract. 

I think an hourly range sounds like an ace idea.

mystudiomke
Community Member

Nope haven't seen that. I guess you're 'lit' Fire Emoji (Apple/iOS Version)

Capture.JPG

Lila

Lila G wrote:

Nope haven't seen that. I guess you're 'lit' Fire Emoji (Apple/iOS Version)

Capture.JPG

The option to put an hourly range is a very welcome development, however. Well done on that one.

You win some, you lose some, I guess.

Lila G wrote:

Capture.JPG

I saw this once and wondered if it was my eyes playing tricks on me as I haven't seen it since. This appears to be a positive step!

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

wot.jpg

What the...?!!!!

I guess the logic is similar to what's already being used on things like hotel booking websites - to make the prospective buyer think that they need to hurry up and make a decision, or lose out. But the icon makes it look more like a fire sale. And yeah, what's up with the "Flag as inappropriate" link directly below? 

Upwork, this needs to go back to the drawing board.

Well, this is just completely unwelcome news. It was recently brought to my attention that there's a "rotation", so some freelancers are randomly at the top of the search results and the rest of us are relegated to obscurity, which in turn affects the number of invitations one receives. I haven't received a single invitation for over a month, so I guess now I'm going to be penalized further in that I won't have a little "she's on fire" icon next to my bids. 

I guess everyone can stop obsessing over their JSS now, because even if it's 100% like mine is, Upwork can still game the system against you.

Sorry for the whiny rant but I feel like s--- today and this isn't helping.

Christine A wrote:

... I guess now I'm going to be penalized further in that I won't have a little "she's on fire" icon next to my bids. 

It is NOT on bids, it's on the profile itself!

And here is a "viewed" one

viewed.jpg

???? I can't see anything like that when I click on people's profiles. 

Christine A wrote:

???? I can't see anything like that when I click on people's profiles. 

Really? Click on mine?

Weird... it appears on the "fly out" when clicking on a profile from a search result list, but NOT on the actual profile itself.

So - run a freelancer search for some keywords, then on the list that appears - click on a freelancer. If they have the flame thingy, it appears, but if you click on the "view profile in a new window" link, it is gone.

Petra, I just clicked on your profile and didn't see it.  Maybe the Bot is having you on...

Nope - I can see the green "Flag as inappropriate" link in the top right-hand corner, but you're not on fire. I guess you're not as hot as you thought you were 😉

Christine A wrote:

Nope - I can see the green "Flag as inappropriate" link in the top right-hand corner, but you're not on fire. I guess you're not as hot as you thought you were 😉

It seems restricted to search results.

Run a freelancer search for some keywords, then on the list that appears - click on a freelancer. If they have the flame thingy, it appears, but if you click on the "view profile in a new window" link, it is gone.

now you see it.jpg

Yeah, if I do a freelancer search for myself, it  appears.

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

It seems restricted to search results.

Run a freelancer search for some keywords, then on the list that appears - click on a freelancer. If they have the flame thingy, it appears, but if you click on the "view profile in a new window" link, it is gone.

now you see it.jpg

Oh, I am on fire. "Recently been invited 16 times." 

16 isn't a lot and I question the use of the word "recently," LOL. I wonder if everyone is on fire when they appear in a search result. 

tlbp
Community Member

Petra R wrote:

Christine A wrote:

... I guess now I'm going to be penalized further in that I won't have a little "she's on fire" icon next to my bids. 

It is NOT on bids, it's on the profile itself!

And here is a "viewed" one

viewed.jpg

Checked my profile. I am not on fire. LOL

I don't really care for invites, though. They are never a very good match for me. 

petra_r
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

Checked my profile. I am not on fire. LOL

You so are...

tonya.jpg

My "fire sale" says 34 invitations.  Maybe over the last 18 months...

Why do they do this on weekends?

Mary, coping with simultaneous fire storms isn't U's forte.  😉

I think the firefighters have doused mine. My boats are burned. 

lysis10
Community Member

Interesting. I'm not sure if I like this or not. I've been bidding these days and haven't gotten an invite, but I'm kinda confused if this would help or hurt.

me.jpg

Jennifer M wrote:

Interesting. I'm not sure if I like this or not. I've been bidding these days and haven't gotten an invite, but I'm kinda confused if this would help or hurt.

From my point of view, it's another example of alogirthims providing meaningless information. A freelancer may receive 100 invites, it doesn't mean:

1) They will accept the interviews

2) Accept a job

3) And even if they accept a job, they may still be available (I have to reach a max of hours per week that would render me unavailable for an extended period) 

If they want to apply this logic to a job posting, that would make sense to me, but not to a freelancer. 

Soooo, I randomly checked Christine, Mary and Martina.

You all three have the flames when clicked on from a search

Poorly designed to say the least.  

Poorly thought out ... if thinking even occurred.

1. Flers viewing a profile count as views > so it tells clients zilch when it comes to business

2. Lots of views > FLer might be conceived as 'too busy' so negates anything good

3. WTH > flag notice is, as Petra politically phrased it "in the WRONG place"

4. FIRE SALE - "a sale of goods remaining after the destruction of commercial premises by fire.  A sale of goods or assets at a very low price, typically when the seller is facing bankruptcy."  Definition is right out of a dictionary.

Upwork - please - please stop this nonsense.  Give your teams something productive to do.

And while on the subject of poorly designed nonsense and terrible UX - the idiot map that covers up FL skill sets when inadvertently hovering over a name needs to  go.  We've been saying this from the moment it was implemented.  We can deal with smaller version of the same map off to the side - unnecessary as it is - but when U design teams cover up core skill sets - i.e., the same skill sets that help pay U salaries - expect less income.

Petra R wrote:

You all three have the flames 

It doesn't sound so good when you put it like that. Quick, somebody get the fire extinguisher.

Thanks for letting us know, though - I was afraid to look.

Petra R wrote:

Soooo, I randomly checked Christine, Mary and Martina.

You all three have the flames when clicked on from a search

Thanks for checking! I can also see it on profiles, but the "flag as inappropriate" is not active. So I guess, it's always appropriate, hey, upwork?

Hi Martina,

I checked and couldn't replicate the issue you are referring to. I searched for all three Freelancers and found an option to 'Flag as inappropriate' in both search and on the profile page. Please check the following screenshots for search and for a profile.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

I checked and couldn't replicate the issue you are referring to. I searched for all three Freelancers and found an option to 'Flag as inappropriate' in both search and on the profile page.

That's all well and good, but what about this nonsensical novelty of setting freelancers on fire and disclosing to the whole world how many times we have been invited?

Please don't spring gimmicky nonsense like that on us...

Miriam H wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

From my point of view, it's another example of alogirthims providing meaningless information. A freelancer may receive 100 invites, it doesn't mean:

1) They will accept the interviews

2) Accept a job

3) And even if they accept a job, they may still be available (I have to reach a max of hours per week that would render me unavailable for an extended period) 

If they want to apply this logic to a job posting, that would make sense to me, but not to a freelancer. 

Yeah, I accept everything that fits my skill set and hourly rate. I like to have lots of contracts every week instead of long-term stuff. I have long-term stuff too but I don't want to only have one client. I'd rather have a bunch of small contracts. Even my long-term stuff is only a few hours a week.

I would love to know what the average age is of UW's devs. I would guess around pre-school? 

Nichola L wrote:

I would love to know what the average age is of UW's devs. I would guess around pre-school? 

They read that one comic from The Oatmeal about "How a Web Design Goes Straight to ****" and thought it was an instruction manual?

Latest Articles
Learning Paths