🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Silly, misleading badges on profiles
Page options
petra_r
Community Member

Anyone else noticed those "likely to get hired soon" fire things on profiles?

When did this start to happen?

wot.jpg

What next? "SALE - Freelancer half price this week??"

Plus the irony of the "call to action" being "Flag as inappropriate"

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Martina P wrote:

Mary W wrote:

Never saw it.  Mine would be hilarious as I've maybe had 54 invitations over 8 years!

Maybe they have a "puuuleeezzzeee somebody invite her" flag for that... 😉

Maybe you'll get an icon like this.

View solution in original post

146 REPLIES 146

Wendy

, maybe we can ask UW to place that one on our profile?
kfarnell
Community Member

Rats and robots. I'm still on fire 😞 

Wendy C wrote:

Has this infantile incompetent attempt at 'cutsey' marketing been retired?

If not - WHEN?

Seems to be gone now, or "gone for now" or maybe it broke along with the profile views...

The fun thing with Upwork is that it's often hard to tell if something is a bug or just a bad idea.

dzadza
Community Member

unfortunately no... it's still there, I just checked. my rocket crashed and I can only see the flames now... ...this is ridiculous - whose idea was that? introducing stupid juvenile graphics to "professional" freelancer's profile pages?

Darn - for a moment there I thought U might have acted reasonably.

Get this inane gimmick - i.e. ineffectual and detrimental marketing garbage - OFF our profiles.

U., feel free to decimate buyer profiles - but leave FLer profiles the he// alone.

Time would be much better spent actually reviewing profiles prior to approving them.

Wendy C wrote:

Time would be much better spent actually reviewing profiles prior to approving them.

Amen to that! Banning lying, scamming freelancers should be their number 1 priority; I believe that it's seriously undermining the credibility of the whole website. 

petra_r
Community Member

Sanja D wrote:
unfortunately no... it's still there, I just checked.

They were gone earlier.

They're back now 😞

If we ignored our clients the way Upwork ignores this ....

we would all be .....

B-R-O-K-E

shetani
Community Member

If this is still a thing, suggestion for discussion - can Upwork show % of long-term relationships and returning clients (two separate things) instead of what it's showing now?

I've hired freelancers a few times and this would've been a very useful piece of info to have - for example, if you see a bookkeeper who has 100% JSS and a bunch of contracts under their belt, but 0% long-term relationships, that's probably not a very good bookkeeper. Likewise for a writer or designer, if they have 0% returning clients, that's an indicator of some sorts as well.

Now, I know that this seems tricky to people who e.g. specialize in logo design - these jobs are usually done quickly and are one-off, clients don't really come back every so often for a new logo. But IMO such cases are few. (I might be wrong?) but in any case, this would be far more useful and far less damaging than showing number of invites (which as Petra pointed out will make clients think freelancers are too picky) or showing the number of recent projects (which will make clients think freelancers are too busy).

dzadza
Community Member

Ines H wrote:

If this is still a thing, suggestion for discussion - can Upwork show % of long-term relationships and returning clients (two separate things) instead of what it's showing now?

I've hired freelancers a few times and this would've been a very useful piece of info to have - for example, if you see a bookkeeper who has 100% JSS and a bunch of contracts under their belt, but 0% long-term relationships, that's probably not a very good bookkeeper. Likewise for a writer or designer, if they have 0% returning clients, that's an indicator of some sorts as well.

Now, I know that this seems tricky to people who e.g. specialize in logo design - these jobs are usually done quickly and are one-off, clients don't really come back every so often for a new logo. But IMO such cases are few. (I might be wrong?) but in any case, this would be far more useful and far less damaging than showing number of invites (which as Petra pointed out will make clients think freelancers are too picky) or showing the number of recent projects (which will make clients think freelancers are too busy).

logo design - these are rarely done quickly on upwork - because clients rarely have a clue what they want - and what they need (and usually those are 2 totally different things). Designers who work with agencies usually have high returning clients rate - but I prefer to work with business owners - finalize the work, and send them on their merry way 😉 

Not sure if the clients can see the returning clients percentage...
shetani
Community Member

Sanja D wrote:

logo design - these are rarely done quickly on upwork - because clients rarely have a clue what they want - and what they need (and usually those are 2 totally different things). Designers who work with agencies usually have high returning clients rate - but I prefer to work with business owners - finalize the work, and send them on their merry way 😉 

Not sure if the clients can see the returning clients percentage...

Haha I'm sorry Sanja, I didn't mean for it to sound like it's a simple job - I actually hired a logo designer a couple months ago and I definitely fit your description of logo clients.

Clients can't see anything more on the profile than what you see when you check your own profile as freelancer (well, I guess they can see these spaceships now - I don't see them though), so the returning % isn't visible.

Ines,  Your suggestion makes sense for all genres of work.  Currently the only way to even guess at the percentage is to check on-going jobs and even that is iffy.  Many times return/repeat clients end up setting up an ongoing job vs. creating new ones each time.  This saves them the hassle of dealing with the system. 

The flip side is not all gigs listed under 'on-going jobs' are actually active.  Clients simply forget to close a job.

You could ask FLers to  send you a screenshot of their "Repeat Client Rate" from their stats page ...

dzadza
Community Member

lol, Ines - no worries

most of the  Upwork clients seem to  think that logo design is  something that can be done in 10 minutes - mostly thanks to those "create your own logo" sites

it's baffling how upwork insists on such a stupid thing - like how many times one has been invited to a project... I've been invited 20+ times. And most of those were either irrelevant, or super low budget - or client never responded. That stat tells nothing - except that in upwork freelancer rotation I landed near the top of the list. Returning clients is important thing - and that % should be visible - although mine is only 28%...I think that means I'm doing my job right - because those logos are still out there...being displayed 😉

Sanja D wrote:
That stat tells nothing - except that in upwork freelancer rotation I landed near the top of the list.

Since you have been riding a rocket I wonder if you landed either on the moon or on Mars. 🙂

My rocket crashed and is now on fire... ...maybe I'm likely to be fired soon?

Now my profile displays a star with the caption "popular with clients, invited 24 times". Since I haven't had anything close to 24 projects this year, that creates the impression that I never accept invites. The truth is that my projects tend to be long and complex, and I also work a lot off the platform. So, I cannot envision a year in which I would field 24 projects. Even more important, I do get a lot of invitations and it's extremely rare to receive one is both relevant to my skill set and in my budget ballpark.

It's been said before, and we are going to keep saying it until the issue is resolved: putting those inane badges on our profiles constitutes interfering in FL-client relationships. It needs to stop.

I have a ticket open as of yesterday with CS requesting (actually more like demanding) that the cartoonish icons be removed from my profile(s).

I've asked that it be escalated as I don't like grousing at some CS who is only doing their job when sending perfunctory responses.

If  U wants to beta test something thy should have the FL's permission to mess around with the person's profile.  This has not been the case.

The icons are amateur hour reincarnate and do NOT belong on professional profiles.

Wendy C wrote:

I have a ticket open as of yesterday with CS requesting (actually more like demanding) that the cartoonish icons be removed from my profile(s).

I've asked that it be escalated as I don't like grousing at some CS who is only doing their job when sending perfunctory responses.

If  U wants to beta test something thy should have the FL's permission to mess around with the person's profile.  This has not been the case.

The icons are amateur hour reincarnate and do NOT belong on professional profiles.

I have  a feeling that they're not testing that  "feature" - judging by the lack of response from UW  people - I'd say that those awful icons are here to stay...FOREVER!!!!!

...well - at least until they come up with something even more ludicrous...

I'm not opening a ticket about this yet because I have a much more important ticket open, that I'm trying to get escalated: delayed delivery and lost messages. [I recently lost out on a project after the client tried twice to schedule a call with me, because some of our messages to each other were lost and/or delayed. (I got her last one 14 days after she sent it. And no, I'm not talking about not getting email notifications of messages. I was logged in to UW every day and checking my Messages screen at least once a day.]

It's getting more and more difficult to maintain a professional presence here, as UW seems completely dismissive about the most critically important mechanisms by which we present ourselves and our capabilities, and establish & maintain communications with prospects and clients. The cartoon badges are, IMO, the perfect visual representation of how woefully UW misunderstands how freelancing works on a professional level. Not to mention how some of us were shanghai'd into the Popular Projects "test", and still can't ascertain whether or not Popular Profiles are live and visible to clients yet.

Hi Phyllis,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Could you please send me a PM with more information about the issue with lost messages? The name of the client will be more than enough to investigate.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
oquintela
Community Member

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 15.18.23.png

Who writes this stuff??? 'Research experts SAVED in the past day'???

Saved, not as in saved, but savedHeart, if you know what I mean.

Saved from fire, presumably.

Can we all say amen?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Olga and others,

Thanks for your feedback about the message showing in search. I've merged your thread with an existing thread about the same test so we can keep all feedback about it organized in one place. I will also share your comments with the team.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Olga Q wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 15.18.23.png

Who writes this stuff??? 'Research experts SAVED in the past day'???

Perhaps the research experts were saved from the all-consuming flame...or pushed into it ... 

sivavranagaro
Community Member

Which is a complete lie anyway.