cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else noticed those "likely to get hired soon" fire things on profiles?

Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
31 of 147

Jennifer M wrote:

Interesting. I'm not sure if I like this or not. I've been bidding these days and haven't gotten an invite, but I'm kinda confused if this would help or hurt.

From my point of view, it's another example of alogirthims providing meaningless information. A freelancer may receive 100 invites, it doesn't mean:

1) They will accept the interviews

2) Accept a job

3) And even if they accept a job, they may still be available (I have to reach a max of hours per week that would render me unavailable for an extended period) 

If they want to apply this logic to a job posting, that would make sense to me, but not to a freelancer. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
32 of 147

Soooo, I randomly checked Christine, Mary and Martina.

You all three have the flames when clicked on from a search

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
33 of 147

Poorly designed to say the least.  

Poorly thought out ... if thinking even occurred.

1. Flers viewing a profile count as views > so it tells clients zilch when it comes to business

2. Lots of views > FLer might be conceived as 'too busy' so negates anything good

3. WTH > flag notice is, as Petra politically phrased it "in the WRONG place"

4. FIRE SALE - "a sale of goods remaining after the destruction of commercial premises by fire.  A sale of goods or assets at a very low price, typically when the seller is facing bankruptcy."  Definition is right out of a dictionary.

Upwork - please - please stop this nonsense.  Give your teams something productive to do.

And while on the subject of poorly designed nonsense and terrible UX - the idiot map that covers up FL skill sets when inadvertently hovering over a name needs to  go.  We've been saying this from the moment it was implemented.  We can deal with smaller version of the same map off to the side - unnecessary as it is - but when U design teams cover up core skill sets - i.e., the same skill sets that help pay U salaries - expect less income.

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
34 of 147

Petra R wrote:

You all three have the flames 

It doesn't sound so good when you put it like that. Quick, somebody get the fire extinguisher.

Thanks for letting us know, though - I was afraid to look.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
35 of 147

Petra R wrote:

Soooo, I randomly checked Christine, Mary and Martina.

You all three have the flames when clicked on from a search

Thanks for checking! I can also see it on profiles, but the "flag as inappropriate" is not active. So I guess, it's always appropriate, hey, upwork?

Aleksandar D Moderator Member Since: Mar 23, 2019
36 of 147

Hi Martina,

I checked and couldn't replicate the issue you are referring to. I searched for all three Freelancers and found an option to 'Flag as inappropriate' in both search and on the profile page. Please check the following screenshots for search and for a profile.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Untitled
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
37 of 147

Aleksandar D wrote:

I checked and couldn't replicate the issue you are referring to. I searched for all three Freelancers and found an option to 'Flag as inappropriate' in both search and on the profile page.

That's all well and good, but what about this nonsensical novelty of setting freelancers on fire and disclosing to the whole world how many times we have been invited?

Please don't spring gimmicky nonsense like that on us...

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
38 of 147

Miriam H wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Interesting. I'm not sure if I like this or not. I've been bidding these days and haven't gotten an invite, but I'm kinda confused if this would help or hurt.

From my point of view, it's another example of alogirthims providing meaningless information. A freelancer may receive 100 invites, it doesn't mean:

1) They will accept the interviews

2) Accept a job

3) And even if they accept a job, they may still be available (I have to reach a max of hours per week that would render me unavailable for an extended period) 

If they want to apply this logic to a job posting, that would make sense to me, but not to a freelancer. 

Yeah, I accept everything that fits my skill set and hourly rate. I like to have lots of contracts every week instead of long-term stuff. I have long-term stuff too but I don't want to only have one client. I'd rather have a bunch of small contracts. Even my long-term stuff is only a few hours a week.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
39 of 147

I would love to know what the average age is of UW's devs. I would guess around pre-school? 

Community Guru
Michael S Member Since: Aug 29, 2017
40 of 147

Nichola L wrote:

I would love to know what the average age is of UW's devs. I would guess around pre-school? 

They read that one comic from The Oatmeal about "How a Web Design Goes Straight to ****" and thought it was an instruction manual?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS