cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else noticed those "likely to get hired soon" fire things on profiles?

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
51 of 147

Avery, please address the removal of the blasted  term "Fire Sale" and flame icon.  These MUST go.  Whomever came up with the term has zero cognizance of the meaning of the term.

Do you need FLers to buy your marketing dept.a darn dictionary?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
52 of 147

Wendy C wrote:

Avery, please address the removal of the blasted  term "Fire Sale"

In fairness, where did you see the term "fire sale?"

I looked very carefully (as I usually do) and saw no such thing.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
53 of 147

Someone mentioned "Fire sale" earlier in the thread which I took to be a joke about what the flames could represent. The Internet being the Internet, it became reality.

I honestly don't particularly mind the concept but agree its placement by the "flag as inappropriate" is well, inappropriate. I don't know that it will help in any perceptible way, but at the same time I don't think it hurts. At worst it feels benign. The perception though of UW rolling these things out while other more pressing issues sit for years, is what tends to get under the skin as well as finding these new features out from other users who happen to see them versus a note in the Announcement section of this forum.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
54 of 147

Scott B wrote:

I don't know that it will help in any perceptible way, but at the same time I don't think it hurts. At worst it feels benign.

I think it does hurt when the number is high.

Clients only get 3 invites without paying. They will be much less likely waste those precious invites on someone who looks to be either too busy or too picky.

The wording "likely to be hired soon, recently been invited XX times" sort of implies that those XX invites didn't result in a hire. And the flame thing is cheap and tacky.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
55 of 147

Petra R wrote:

Scott B wrote:

I don't know that it will help in any perceptible way, but at the same time I don't think it hurts. At worst it feels benign.

I think it does hurt when the number is high.

Clients only get 3 invites without paying. They will be much less likely waste those precious invites on someone who looks to be either too busy or too picky.

The wording "likely to be hired soon, recently been invited XX times" sort of implies that those XX invites didn't result in a hire. And the flame thing is cheap and tacky.

All good points. When I saw the flames I thought it was just announcing that I was on Team Daenerys. I was great with that until....well no spoilers I suppose. 

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
56 of 147

I REALLY don't like this.  It shows that I've had 30+ invitations.  Of course, 30 were totally inappropriate, either someone looking for someone to work as an attorney (which I'm not) or something else completely out of my wheelhouse.  I only work 10-15% of my time on Upwork so a client will look at that number and then how few active jobs I have and move on to someone else.

And the placement next to the "inappropriate" flag is atrocious and insulting, of course.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
57 of 147

Mary W wrote:

I REALLY don't like this.  It shows that I've had 30+ invitations.  Of course, 30 were totally inappropriate, either someone looking for someone to work as an attorney (which I'm not) or something else completely out of my wheelhouse.  I only work 10-15% of my time on Upwork so a client will look at that number and then how few active jobs I have and move on to someone else.

And the placement next to the "inappropriate" flag is atrocious and insulting, of course.

I think perhaps the real issue is why this was not announced and why we were not allowed to comment on it before it was rolled out. 

I find these unannounced changes quite irksome as a general practice. At best, they're benign and come across as a little silly; at worst, they fail consider negative ways in which clients may interpret and respond to vague information.

If they didn't test the implementation enough to notice the issue raised by the proximity of the text to the "flag as inappropriate message," you can bet they probably didn't do much in the way of testing to see how clients might interpret the messages about views and invitations. 

We're already saddled with a rating system that was likely designed for rating customer service agents at corporate call centres on their ability to respond to simple customer requests rather than our ability to handle what are sometimes complex professional projects created by clients who often have little or no insight into the work that needs to go into them. I don't understand the constant pressure to keep adding yet another RBI (Really Bad Idea) to the mix. 

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
58 of 147

Renata, 10,000 kudos and thumbs up for summarizing how often "features" manage to kick the wrong parts of U's anatomy because no one thought, let alone tested an idea.

Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
59 of 147

Renata, as always, you are a gem. Thank you for summing up so nicely what these "enhancements" can actually do in practice rather than in theory. 

If I, as a client who perhaps hadn't experienced the rollout of various "enhancements" over the years, saw this fire sale/flag as inappropriate I would't know what to think, but none of my options would be positive. Either the freelancer is likely too busy to accept my invitation so I shouldn't waste it on them, or maybe they're of the rather scammy sort since the inappropriate flag option is so dang close to the # of times they've been invited. 

There *might* be some scenario where this feature would benefit the client or freelancer, but I honestly can't think of any. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
60 of 147

grrrr nvm deleted my post. Stupid question that Avery answered in her last sentence. I should try reading the whole post sometimes. -_-

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS