🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/wor...
Page options
aziz_92
Community Member

Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at the same time )

Just curious if there are any fellow digital-nomads here. Would be cool to connect and share experiences. Although I've met a lot of people who work and travel, I've never met anyone who does so from Upwork. 

95 REPLIES 95
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

There are a bunch, who I'm sure will chime in.  Me, sadly, not so much.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I've been a "digital nomad" since before the term existed. I've lived and worked in countries all over the world.

Christine A wrote:

I've been a "digital nomad" since before the term existed. I've lived and worked in countries all over the world.

Interesting. Where have you been? What's you're favorite city/country to work from? And when you say say before the term even existed, how long ago is that? 

Aziz U wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Interesting. Where have you been? What's you're favorite city/country to work from? And when you say say before the term even existed, how long ago is that? 

I've been at it for 22 years - Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Thailand, France, Spain. Been coming to Mexico for the past three winters, so I guess it's currently my favourite place, but I've gone to Spain repeatedly as well. Italy will be next, then Argentina next winter.

Christine A wrote:

I've been at it for 22 years - Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Thailand, France, Spain. Been coming to Mexico for the past three winters, so I guess it's currently my favourite place, but I've gone to Spain repeatedly as well. Italy will be next, then Argentina next winter.

Wait...what? I wasn't expecting that long ago. I thought maybe 10-12 years* at most. That's so interesting! How did you deal with lack of wifi/internet? 

lysis10
Community Member

I love these pics. 😄

Aziz, the second one with the palm trees reminds me of home. Take out the mountains and that looks like Ft. Lauderdale beach.

Beautifully written, kind, uplifting response.  

Aziz U wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Wait...what? I wasn't expecting that long ago. I thought maybe 10-12 hours at most. That's so interesting! How did you deal with lack of wifi/internet? 

Love your photos Aziz - more than that I am in awe; they are truly superb! And I love Christine's photo too. 

But re no internet - you are a real child of your times! Freelancing has existed since forever. Networking took a little longer and more finger work, but one got there in the end! We had telephones and word processors in those days - oh - and cameras albeit not digital! Smiley Wink

Nichola L wrote:

Aziz U wrote:

Wait...what? I wasn't expecting that long ago. I thought maybe 10-12 hours at most. That's so interesting! How did you deal with lack of wifi/internet? 

Love your photos Aziz - more than that I am in awe; they are truly superb! And I love Christine's photo too. 

But re no internet - you are a real child of your times! Freelancing has existed since forever. Networking took a little longer and more finger work, but one got there in the end! We had telephones and word processors in those days - oh - and cameras albeit not digital! Smiley Wink

Wifi isn't really a problem these days (you should have been around in the days of dial-up, kid!). I carefully read all reviews before I book any hotels or holiday flats; any complaints about bad Internet, and I'll just find somewhere else to stay. I've had some problems in unlikely places, though - like I stayed in central Bristol (England) for a month last November and the Wifi was cutting out 8 or 9 times a day. I use a mobile hotspot when that happens, though.

a_lipsey
Community Member

While I travel a lot and work from different spot, I don't really qualify. I have a home-base I spend the majority of my time. But I'll go spend a month somewhere here or there and work from that location for a month. I do that a few times a year. Not sure if it counts. I'd like to be a bit more nomadic but my business model doesn't really allow for being nomadic, more for just frequent travel. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm in the same boat as Amanda. I travel and stay put for two weeks to a month, and then I go back to my nesting ground. 

My sister, who uses Upwork, travels a lot. She's back in our home country now, but I think she'll be away again when summer hits. 

Where do you usually go, Aziz? Robot Happy I would assume that if a freelancer travels a lot, they are most comfortable working on fixed-price contracts so as not to be tied-down by hourly contracts that are bound by a schedule, no?

~ Avery
Upwork
a_lipsey
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

I'm in the same boat as Amanda. I travel and stay put for two weeks to a month, and then I go back to my nesting ground. 

My sister, who uses Upwork, travels a lot. She's back in our home country now, but I think she'll be away again when summer hits. 

Where do you usually go, Aziz? Robot Happy I would assume that if a freelancer travels a lot, they are most comfortable working on fixed-price contracts so as not to be tied-down by hourly contracts that are bound by a schedule, no?

The problem for me is that business is good, which requires me to stay put more. But I'm hoping to do the digital nomad thing more this year. And yes, I do work more fixed price because I can't be bound by a time tracker. Hourly or fixed, I estimate my price based on hours regardless, but I typically make more fixed price because I beat the "clock" so to speak. 🙂 I also have an assistant so I use fixed price because hourly doesn't work for having support staff. 

I am slightly ashamed to say I've never been outside North America, and I will be 40 this year. However, I have seen North America and all it's corners in ways others who have traveled the globe have never done. But I hope to make it to the Tate this year. My former employer, while I worked for them, collaborated on a major exhibition, and I have loved the Tate ever since that collaboration. I follow them on social media, and I cannot wait for my visit!

New to upwork and the term digital nomad 😆.

Well, I am yet to land my first client and travel somwhere with it

Hoping🤞

aziz_92
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Actually my work is about half fixed price n half hourly. Most of my clients know/understand that I am doing the travel/work thingy so they don't mind the odd hours, as long as the work gets done. I do however have to at times get up at 3 AM for a call.

As far where I usually go; i try not to go to the same place twice. I am currently in Mexico after spending a few months in Turkey and Greece. I do prefer Central / South America though because I am in the same time zone (give or take an hour) as clients. 

lysis10
Community Member

I'm not a digital nomad, but it's nice to just decide one day that you want to move and don't have to look for a job. I would probably have to commute at least an hour for me to get a job here. That sounds pooyuck.

aziz_92
Community Member

Some photos from Baja California; taken few days ago:

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 20.49.23.pngIMG_2739.jpgIMG_4741.jpg

Aziz U wrote:

Very nice! I'm also in Mexico for a few months (currently Sayulita). 

beach.jpg

Christine A wrote:

Aziz U wrote:

Cool! I spent sometime in Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta last year. Love the area (Sayulita, San Pancho, etc). Are you moving around Mexico or just staying in Sayulita? 

Love the photo btw; exactly how I remembered the area. If do you move, please share photos/update here of your whereabouts. 

I'm back in Mexico City after couple of weeks in Baja.

Parque Mexicana, SantaFe, CDMX:

9b331327-2e55-4e92-95ac-3f0b7bcc1705.JPGIMG_8791.jpg

Aziz U wrote:

Cool! I spent sometime in Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta last year. Love the area (Sayulita, San Pancho, etc). Are you moving around Mexico or just staying in Sayulita? 

Love the photo btw; exactly how I remembered the area. If do you move, please share photos/update here of your whereabouts. 

I'm back in Mexico City after couple of weeks in Baja.

Really nice photos! PM me if you want to connect on Instagram. I still haven't been to CDMX - maybe next winter. I just spent January in Chiapas, based in San Cristobal de las Casas - put that on your bucket list if you haven't been there already. Fantastic town, briliant scenery, great bars, cool vibe.

1.jpg9sunset.jpg

Oh my! All the photos posted on this thread are really lovely!

~ Avery
Upwork

Really nice photos! PM me if you want to connect on Instagram. I still haven't been to CDMX - maybe next winter. I just spent January in Chiapas, based in San Cristobal de las Casas - put that on your bucket list if you haven't been there already. Fantastic town, briliant scenery, great bars, cool vibe.

Wow, I've heard so many great things about Chiapas. Will be sure to check it out. And definately, will PM.

Christine A wrote:

Aziz U wrote:

beach.jpg

That's an awesome photo!!!

Actually all the pics on this thread are inspiring!!!

aziz_92
Community Member

Back in Roma Norte, CDMX. Morning run:

IMG_8431.jpg

aziz_92
Community Member

Good morning from Acapulco, Guerero. Wouldn't mind waking up to this everyday 🙂

IMG_3895.jpg

e_luneborg
Community Member

I used to be a digital nomad, but now I've slept in the same bed for 2 months (besides 3 nights at a hotel just because I like hotels), so I don't think I qualify anymore. Think I traveled for about 2 years, visited about 20 countries, and then I got sick of packing and unpacking my bag. I've decided to stay put for a while now, but I get this feeling about once every second week that it's time to travel again. I'll try to wait until August, or perhaps even September. 

That's cool, being a digital nomad can mean a lot of things, you don't necessaily need to always be on the move.

What was your favorite place during your travels?

It's hard to decide on what was best.
I loved Bali and Cambodia. And South-Korea. Think those are my top 3 in Asia.

In Europe, I think Budapest and Thessaloniki were my favorites. I actually would love to live in Thessaloniki, but before I do Greece has to fix their plumbing. Can't live in a country where you can't flush toilet paper. That's a dealbreaker.

The worst place is easier. Thailand. I don't care to ever go back there, at least to the places I were. I think I'm going for a quick trip there in November for a conference, but I'll leave as soon as that's over. 

Cool, loved Thessaloniki. Was there for a month in September last year. And yea, agree about Thailand...

petra_r
Community Member

I used to have that idea of creating a freelancer-couch-surfing platform where freelancers around the world open their homes to other freelancers and trade rooms or whole homes.

That way digital nomads would always find the infrastucture they need to freelance and get to visit other places at a low cost.

The people whose homes they stay in get someone to water the plants and feed the cats while they stay in in someone else's home that is equally well equipped for freelancing.

aziz_92
Community Member

....umm that's actually a really great idea. Kind of an Airbnb exchange program. I like it!

There are sites for staying at someone's home for free, as long as you look after pets, like TrustedHouseSitters. Not that these homes are necessarily made for freelancers, but still quite some are well equipped, as far as I know. You just get to live in someone's house for free while they are away, and you look after a cat or a dog or something. Some want you to look after a whole farm though with 10 horses and 50 cows and god knows how many other animals, but most are just one or two pets. Never tried it though.

Eve L wrote:

There are sites for staying at someone's home for free, as long as you look after pets, like TrustedHouseSitters. Not that these homes are necessarily made for freelancers, but still quite some are well equipped, as far as I know. 

Yeah, I meant something a bit more specific for freelancers, also including just staying a few days with the actual homeowner, who is also a freelancer, at home. Freelancers understand each other's lifestyle. 

Petra R wrote:

Eve L wrote:

There are sites for staying at someone's home for free, as long as you look after pets, like TrustedHouseSitters. Not that these homes are necessarily made for freelancers, but still quite some are well equipped, as far as I know. 

Yeah, I meant something a bit more specific for freelancers, also including just staying a few days with the actual homeowner, who is also a freelancer, at home. Freelancers understand each other's lifestyle. 

I would love that, I think. I would try it at least. If you create an app or something I'll sign up. (Just perhaps wait for this virus-business to settle first. Don't think this is the best time to launch something like this.)

Petra R wrote:

I think that's a great idea (once the Coronavirus is under control, of course). There are starting to be more and more accommodations geared towards freelancers, but the ones that I've seen so far are really expensive. A Couchsurfing/Airbnb type website specifically for freelancers would be way better.

aziz_92
Community Member

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time. So esentailly you can put info about yourself (linkedIn/upwork profile) and the place you can offer. You can choose to swap or just share your place with another freelancer. 

Any ideas for name? Freelancebnb? Nomadbnb?

petra_r
Community Member

Aziz U wrote:

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time.

Seriously, shall we? 

Aziz U wrote:

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time. So esentailly you can put info about yourself (linkedIn/upwork profile) and the place you can offer.

Good idea! That would make it a little safer.

Aziz U wrote:

Wouldn't mind working on it on my off time. So esentailly you can put info about yourself (linkedIn/upwork profile) and the place you can offer. You can choose to swap or just share your place with another freelancer. 

Any ideas for name? Freelancebnb? Nomadbnb?

Maybe have a points / coins / connects based system. different models - outright renting without swapping, sharing with owner in situ (I can see that being pretty popular as it can lead to more friends-making and the creation of an international freelancer network)

How about also having options for groups of digital nomads to rent larger holiday accomodation together.

Like 7 strangers freelancers from all over the world renting a villa in Tuscany for 2 weeks in September

I think this has real potential!

Renting things together is quite common. I see loads of posts in DN forums for people wanting someone to share a house with for a month or two. It's also a great way of networking, as long as the other ones are real freelancers, not just people who travel without money and think being a DN is a career itself. So some kind of vetting of members would be needed. Think this means you'll need some sort of FSS – Freelancer Success Score... 

Eve L wrote:

Renting things together is quite common. I see loads of posts in DN forums for people wanting someone to share a house with for a month or two. It's also a great way of networking, as long as the other ones are real freelancers, not just people who travel without money and think being a DN is a career itself. So some kind of vetting of members would be needed. Think this means you'll need some sort of FSS – Freelancer Success Score... 

Hmmm...DN forums? Mind sharing which ones? Didn't know there were forums for DNs (not sure if you are allowed to share links here)

And yea. I agree, vetting is really important. 

Aziz U wrote:

Hmmm...DN forums? Mind sharing which ones? Didn't know there were forums for DNs (not sure if you are allowed to share links here)

There are loads of forums - I belong to one on Facebook that's for women only (sorry), but you can find loads more there, or just by doing a Google search. 

Please keep us posted if you do decide to go ahead with creating a website. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths