cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at the same time )

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aziz U Member Since: Oct 30, 2018
1 of 69

Just curious if there are any fellow digital-nomads here. Would be cool to connect and share experiences. Although I've met a lot of people who work and travel, I've never met anyone who does so from Upwork. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
2 of 69

There are a bunch, who I'm sure will chime in.  Me, sadly, not so much.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
3 of 69

I've been a "digital nomad" since before the term existed. I've lived and worked in countries all over the world.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
4 of 69

Christine A wrote:

I've been a "digital nomad" since before the term existed. I've lived and worked in countries all over the world.

Interesting. Where have you been? What's you're favorite city/country to work from? And when you say say before the term even existed, how long ago is that? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 69

Aziz U wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Interesting. Where have you been? What's you're favorite city/country to work from? And when you say say before the term even existed, how long ago is that? 

I've been at it for 22 years - Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Thailand, France, Spain. Been coming to Mexico for the past three winters, so I guess it's currently my favourite place, but I've gone to Spain repeatedly as well. Italy will be next, then Argentina next winter.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
6 of 69

Christine A wrote:

I've been at it for 22 years - Canada, Mexico, England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, Thailand, France, Spain. Been coming to Mexico for the past three winters, so I guess it's currently my favourite place, but I've gone to Spain repeatedly as well. Italy will be next, then Argentina next winter.

Wait...what? I wasn't expecting that long ago. I thought maybe 10-12 years* at most. That's so interesting! How did you deal with lack of wifi/internet? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 69

I love these pics. Smiley Very Happy

Aziz, the second one with the palm trees reminds me of home. Take out the mountains and that looks like Ft. Lauderdale beach.

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
8 of 69

Beautifully written, kind, uplifting response.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
9 of 69

Aziz U wrote:

Christine A wrote:

Wait...what? I wasn't expecting that long ago. I thought maybe 10-12 hours at most. That's so interesting! How did you deal with lack of wifi/internet? 

Love your photos Aziz - more than that I am in awe; they are truly superb! And I love Christine's photo too. 

But re no internet - you are a real child of your times! Freelancing has existed since forever. Networking took a little longer and more finger work, but one got there in the end! We had telephones and word processors in those days - oh - and cameras albeit not digital! Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Community Guru
10 of 69

Nichola L wrote:

Aziz U wrote:

Wait...what? I wasn't expecting that long ago. I thought maybe 10-12 hours at most. That's so interesting! How did you deal with lack of wifi/internet? 

Love your photos Aziz - more than that I am in awe; they are truly superb! And I love Christine's photo too. 

But re no internet - you are a real child of your times! Freelancing has existed since forever. Networking took a little longer and more finger work, but one got there in the end! We had telephones and word processors in those days - oh - and cameras albeit not digital! Smiley Wink

Wifi isn't really a problem these days (you should have been around in the days of dial-up, kid!). I carefully read all reviews before I book any hotels or holiday flats; any complaints about bad Internet, and I'll just find somewhere else to stay. I've had some problems in unlikely places, though - like I stayed in central Bristol (England) for a month last November and the Wifi was cutting out 8 or 9 times a day. I use a mobile hotspot when that happens, though.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS