🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at...
Page options
aziz_92
Community Member

Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at the same time )

Just curious if there are any fellow digital-nomads here. Would be cool to connect and share experiences. Although I've met a lot of people who work and travel, I've never met anyone who does so from Upwork. 

95 REPLIES 95
ceefaeca
Community Member

I am planning on becoming that soon. Hoping to start that lifestyle very soon, haha

aziz_92
Community Member

So status update on me, after getting vacinated and getting my PCR test, i decided to leave Canada. My only option was Panama (as there's no other direct flights out of Canada other than to USA and Panama). 

Well, Panama was hot and humid. I spent a week there. Some photos:

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg

Biked around the city, exploring, had fun. But I just couldn't bear the humidity. 

aziz_92
Community Member

So i looked at the flights and there was one leaving to Aruba the next day. I've never been to South America and always wanted to and Aruba seemed like the perfect option. Very little covid risk (i think there's like 1-2 cases per day, 0 deaths). It's great also because even though it's a carribean island, it's out of the hurricane zone and it's a desert island which means I won't have to deal with humidity. It's relatively dry. Just an amazing place with pristine beaches, the most colorful sunsets, and really friendly people. The weather is perfect, hovers around 26-30C. I came here a month ago and am still here. Some photos:

IMG_1242 2.jpgIMG_1298.jpgIMG_0726.jpgIMG_1172.jpg

Hi Aziz,

These pictures are so beautiful! They bring back such fond memories, I used to vacation in Aruba with my family years ago. 

~Andrea
Upwork

Aziz U wrote:

So i looked at the flights and there was one leaving to Aruba the next day. I've never been to South America and always wanted to and Aruba seemed like the perfect option. Very little covid risk (i think there's like 1-2 cases per day, 0 deaths). It's great also because even though it's a carribean island, it's out of the hurricane zone and it's a desert island which means I won't have to deal with humidity. It's relatively dry. Just an amazing place with pristine beaches, the most colorful sunsets, and really friendly people. The weather is perfect, hovers around 26-30C. 

Aruba looks amazing! I'm so jealous. Even though it's technically "summer" in the UK, the weather has been miserable for the past week. I really hope that I can get out of here before winter. 

I have been in practically non-stop rain since June 24, both in Wisconsin and back home in Biloxi.  It never stops.  I have my grand daughter visiting and we haven't gotten to the beach one single time.  Am hoping for this afternoon and tomorrow but it will still be cloudy at best.  Ugh.

What's stopping you? Is it personal or some travel restrIctions in UK? I mean if you're vaxxed and you've got your PCR test, is it still an issue?

Aziz U wrote:

What's stopping you? Is it personal or some travel restrIctions in UK? I mean if you're vaxxed and you've got your PCR test, is it still an issue?

I'm double-vaccinated, but of course travelling is difficult right now. There are mutations of the virus, cases in the UK are climbing again and things can change very quickly. I already got caught in Mexico last March after my flight back to the UK was cancelled, and then I ended up stuck in Canada for 4 months - I don't want that to happen again. And PCR tests cost £100 here, so people are having to pay for one before they go on holidays and another one when they get back, plus having to risk being quarantined at your destination and again when you return; it's just not worth the hassle right now.

The variants are not going to stop. After Delta, there'll be a new variant. COVID's here to stay IMO. The local people told me that lack of tourism has effected them more than COVID itself. 

But I do agree that the whole qurantining and getting PCR tests is a PITA. Even in Canada, if I go back now, I'll have to qurantine and get tested, but they are in talks to relax the restrictions. 

I guess my point is, at some point, you have to accept the reality of COVID sticking around and weigh the risk / rewards and do what's best for you while taking every measure you can to protect others.

Because the alternative really is to dig a hole and stay there forever so you don't come in contact with anyone.

aziz_92
Community Member

Whoa, it's been half a year since my last post. I'm in Colombia (Medellin) and here are some photos of the 6 months or so I've spent here getting to know the country:

ssan rafael, small town full of water fallsssan rafael, small town full of water falls

coffee axis of colombiacoffee axis of colombia

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 12.11.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 12.11.26 PM.png

working from 3500m of altitude, nevado del ruiz, a volcanoworking from 3500m of altitude, nevado del ruiz, a volcano

working from a hotspringworking from a hotspring

hotsprings - termales del san vicentehotsprings - termales del san vicente

hotsprings - termales santa rosa del cabalhotsprings - termales santa rosa del cabal

guatapeguatape

cofee axiscofee axis

Wow, you really get around!

mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Aziz - have you been to Ecuador?  Two of my childhood friends from the Chicago suburbs are permanently in Cuenca and they love it!  One moved from Panama, one from Guadalajara, both there for several years. It sounds truly lovely - a very old city in the mountains, nice cool weather.

Nope I haven't. That's in my plan next, to visit the Galapagos. Will post photos here when I do!

2ef54d61
Community Member

I wish! My line of work requires a lot of equipment, though, so I can't exactly lug it around with me and work on the go. 

da77fced
Community Member

I am an aspiring digital nomad. 😍 This is actually my motive behind starting freelancing and working online: become location-independent / work & live anywhere!

lopezdp
Community Member

i lived for a year in south america while working on upworking and doing the airbnb thing right before covid hit; it was the best experience of my life.

sadly my wife hated living outside the USA and so now were back here spending every penny i make on upwork.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths