cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone here a "digitalnomad"? (travel/work at the same time )

Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
11 of 22

While I travel a lot and work from different spot, I don't really qualify. I have a home-base I spend the majority of my time. But I'll go spend a month somewhere here or there and work from that location for a month. I do that a few times a year. Not sure if it counts. I'd like to be a bit more nomadic but my business model doesn't really allow for being nomadic, more for just frequent travel. 

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
12 of 22

I'm in the same boat as Amanda. I travel and stay put for two weeks to a month, and then I go back to my nesting ground. 

My sister, who uses Upwork, travels a lot. She's back in our home country now, but I think she'll be away again when summer hits. 

Where do you usually go, Aziz? Robot Happy I would assume that if a freelancer travels a lot, they are most comfortable working on fixed-price contracts so as not to be tied-down by hourly contracts that are bound by a schedule, no?

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
13 of 22

Avery O wrote:

I'm in the same boat as Amanda. I travel and stay put for two weeks to a month, and then I go back to my nesting ground. 

My sister, who uses Upwork, travels a lot. She's back in our home country now, but I think she'll be away again when summer hits. 

Where do you usually go, Aziz? Robot Happy I would assume that if a freelancer travels a lot, they are most comfortable working on fixed-price contracts so as not to be tied-down by hourly contracts that are bound by a schedule, no?

The problem for me is that business is good, which requires me to stay put more. But I'm hoping to do the digital nomad thing more this year. And yes, I do work more fixed price because I can't be bound by a time tracker. Hourly or fixed, I estimate my price based on hours regardless, but I typically make more fixed price because I beat the "clock" so to speak. Smiley Happy I also have an assistant so I use fixed price because hourly doesn't work for having support staff. 

I am slightly ashamed to say I've never been outside North America, and I will be 40 this year. However, I have seen North America and all it's corners in ways others who have traveled the globe have never done. But I hope to make it to the Tate this year. My former employer, while I worked for them, collaborated on a major exhibition, and I have loved the Tate ever since that collaboration. I follow them on social media, and I cannot wait for my visit!

Aziz U Member Since: Oct 30, 2018
14 of 22

Avery O wrote:

Actually my work is about half fixed price n half hourly. Most of my clients know/understand that I am doing the travel/work thingy so they don't mind the odd hours, as long as the work gets done. I do however have to at times get up at 3 AM for a call.

As far where I usually go; i try not to go to the same place twice. I am currently in Mexico after spending a few months in Turkey and Greece. I do prefer Central / South America though because I am in the same time zone (give or take an hour) as clients. 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 22

I'm not a digital nomad, but it's nice to just decide one day that you want to move and don't have to look for a job. I would probably have to commute at least an hour for me to get a job here. That sounds pooyuck.

16 of 22

Some photos from Baja California; taken few days ago:

Screenshot 2020-02-12 at 20.49.23.pngIMG_2739.jpgIMG_4741.jpg

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
17 of 22

Aziz U wrote:

Very nice! I'm also in Mexico for a few months (currently Sayulita). 

beach.jpg

18 of 22

Christine A wrote:

Aziz U wrote:

Very nice! I'm also in Mexico for a few months (currently Sayulita). 

Cool! I spent sometime in Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta last year. Love the area (Sayulita, San Pancho, etc). Are you moving around Mexico or just staying in Sayulita? 

Love the photo btw; exactly how I remembered the area. If do you move, please share photos/update here of your whereabouts. 

I'm back in Mexico City after couple of weeks in Baja.

Parque Mexicana, SantaFe, CDMX:

9b331327-2e55-4e92-95ac-3f0b7bcc1705.JPGIMG_8791.jpg

Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
19 of 22

Aziz U wrote:

Cool! I spent sometime in Puerto/Nuevo Vallarta last year. Love the area (Sayulita, San Pancho, etc). Are you moving around Mexico or just staying in Sayulita? 

Love the photo btw; exactly how I remembered the area. If do you move, please share photos/update here of your whereabouts. 

I'm back in Mexico City after couple of weeks in Baja.

Really nice photos! PM me if you want to connect on Instagram. I still haven't been to CDMX - maybe next winter. I just spent January in Chiapas, based in San Cristobal de las Casas - put that on your bucket list if you haven't been there already. Fantastic town, briliant scenery, great bars, cool vibe.

1.jpg9sunset.jpg

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
20 of 22

Oh my! All the photos posted on this thread are really lovely!

-Avery
Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS