🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Are Fiverr buyers moving to Upwork
Page options
mattnewnham
Community Member

Are Edited buyers moving to Upwork

I don't know if many have noticed but there are growing numbers of "Buyers" on Upwork that tick the $$$ box and then expect to pay $5 or less per hour. It seems the **Edited for Community Guidelines**buyers are moving to Upwork.

As freelancers, we are all worth much more than $5 per hour. I am finding more clients on Upwork wanting to pay less and yet expect more. Is this the way the freelancing world is going? 

Surely if someone ticks the $$$  or even the $$ expectation there needs to be a minimum per hour rate they can expect to pay? 

I am a writer and have clients that pay upwards of $40 per 500 words (some even $200), the craft of writing, as with the many other areas of expertise on upwork, is a skill that commands and even demands respect and it does have a value exceeeding $5 per hour/article. 

I don't know how many other freelancers are skipping over amazing jobs because the rate offered is, to say the least, not worth it., but I know I am.

We clearly live in a world where cheap is still what many people look for. 

I apply strict filters when looking for work on Upwork and have enquiries come in often that are well below my hourly rate and even below the minimum wage of many countries. It is almost an insult being approached with rates that are being offered.

Not sure how to deal with those who want champagne but can barely afford a glass of beer or even milk.

Just saying

Have an awesome 2019 everyone

10 REPLIES 10
opsogreen1
Community Member

Hi  Matthew, Yeah I also noticed it. Many new clients on Upwork and they are paying $5(not even hourly, it per project:).

Even lots of spam post they are posting nowadays. Also, I noticed their hiring rate 2%-5% 😞 

Yes, Imran

The quality of "buyers" has dropped a lot in 2018. I have had a handful of buyers, I have one that pays a lowish rate but the work is easy and a relationship has grown but the vast majority of jobs on the platform are from worrisome new members with no payment verification.

I think Upwork needs to start looking at what they are doing. Yes, I had one client that partly paid me outside Upwork, it was just too complicated to do the job inside the platform, but I have been close to being scammed in the last 2 or 3 weeks by people who want to jump straight out of the platform.

But cheap buyers are the biggest worry that is beginning to cheapen Upwork and turn it into another **Edited for Community Guidelines**

@Matthew N wrote:

Yes, I had one client that partly paid me outside Upwork, it was just too complicated to do the job inside the platform,

How can it be "just too complicated" to be paid inside Upwork?

@Matthew N wrote:

But cheap buyers are the biggest worry that is beginning to cheapen Upwork and turn it into another **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I'd say your biggest worry is being suspended for being paid outside the platform and then announcing the fact to Upwork on Upwork's own forum...

Petra,

How can it be "just too complicated" to be paid inside Upwork?

Upwork cannot accept wire transfers. The function is basic to many types of situations and has been around for more than a century. My businesses can both receive and send wire transfers. This is unbelievable. If something so basic is in UW's too-hard-to-do pile, I cannot imagine what other complications there might be.

What should we do in current situtation? Imran said well, a lot of clients come up with $5 budget that is even not our hourly rate.

@Faisal S wrote:

What should we do in current situtation? Imran said well, a lot of clients come up with $5 budget that is even not our hourly rate.

Either:

• Skip the job post

or

• Bid whatever would make it worth your while to do the job, ignoring the budget. What a client sets as the budget need not be what the client will be prepared to pay.  It could even be a pure placeholder.

I did the same once but client respond me badly on that I didn't checked the budget and I didn't agree on that budget then why I applied for that purticular job.

does it goes in navigate ranking for my profile?

@Faisal S wrote:

I did the same once but client respond me badly on that I didn't checked the budget and I didn't agree on that budget then why I applied for that purticular job.

does it goes in navigate ranking for my profile?

Faisal,

This will not affect your ratings or JSS. Keep on with your fee and don't let anybody bully you into reducing it. 

100% agree with @Petra.

I personally skip that type of job post.

moutcom
Community Member

@Petra R wrote:

Either:

• Skip the job post

or

• Bid whatever would make it worth your while to do the job, ignoring the budget. What a client sets as the budget need not be what the client will be prepared to pay.  It could even be a pure placeholder.

This is exactly what one should- do.

Sometimes I reply to a 5$ job with the appropriate price, just to remind the client a bit.

Surely in most cases will be ignored, but a reminder is sometimes a valuable tool for those who are ready to make the difference and reconsider the project and its financial aspect.

________________________________________________________________________________

--We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing.
Mother Teresa
Latest Articles
Learning Paths