🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Ask me anything about General Data Protection...
Page options
hchiang21
Community Member

Ask me anything about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

I noticed that a lot of people are asking about GDPR. I've spent the past year assisting a Fortune 500 organization achieve compliance. Ask me anything!? I'll start it off with some easy equestions:

1. What is GDPR?

General Data Protection Regulation, applicable in all EEA member states on May 25th, 2018. The GDPR also applies to any company worldwide that collects or processes personal data of European residents when offering them goods or services in the EEA, regardless of whether that processing takes place in Europe. By virtue of our business integration across the world and access to centralized processing systems often containing 

5 REPLIES 5
charles_kozierok
Community Member

"Ask me anything!?"

Why are you posting clearly off-topic threads about your personal area of interest -- about which any interested party can read all they wish in a hundred places -- in a forum meant for Upwork freelancers to help each other with Upwork- and freelancing-related matters?

Hi Charles, I think that's on me. The thread was originally posted on the Clients section (which must have been a mistake on Hartley's end), and I meant to move it to Coffee Break. For some reason, I must've have missed it by a few cursor moves, and moved it by accident to the Freelancer board. I only saw it again when you posted a reply, and moved it to the correct board this time. 

Hi Hartley, you may want to check out this thread which explains in detail the different boards/sections that you will see in the Community. This will give you an idea where to post if you have specific questions on job categories, freelancing on Upwork, or miscellaneous topics. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

@Avery O wrote:

The thread was originally posted on the Clients section (which must have been a mistake on Hartley's end)

More likely an ill advised attempt at self-promotion.

No problem, Avery.

And I agree with Petra, which was sort of my point in my reply. If he initially posted it in Clients, that's even worse.

prestonhunter
Community Member

In the United States, we have something sort of like GDPR, but it's the opposite.

We collect massive amounts of information about everybody and make their personal and private user data available to anyone who has the money to buy it. The data can also be obtained for free by hackers.

This can be used for all sorts of purposes: advertising, political campaigns, employment denial, health insurance curtailment, dox, etc.

This is known as "General Data Freedom." Abbreviated "GDF," but known by other names such as "Facebook", "Google", "Twitter", etc.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths