🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADH...
Page options
4812b3f6
Community Member

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)

Anyone else here struggle with ADHD? I did not get diagnosed till I was in my late 40s. It was a relief to finally understand what has been happening. It is a challenge to rework how I approach life and see myself. What is are some of the biggest struggles some of you face being a freelancer and  managing your ADHD?

9 REPLIES 9
sullivanliz
Community Member

You might get a better response if you post this in the 'Coffee Break' section of the main forum.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey William, how do you find out? Do you have healthy food, sleep, exercise and reduced stress - can sometimes help? Have a great day!

melaniekhenson
Community Member

No, but I do have ADD. DXd at age 50, believe it or not. I get by.

Community Member

Diagnosed OCD + undiagnosed ADD (both my dad and my brother are diagnosed ADD; I took a test but accidentally took a fish oil pill beforehand and I'm a weirdo who enjoys that kind of psychology test, so I did way better than most). My problem boils down to schedule and brain mode. The issue with brain mode is the fact that I don't have any dedicated space for work - I don't even have room for a dedicated space. A coworking space helped - the 2-3 times a week that I actually went. And the deal with schedule - well, I don't have one. Every attempt to make one fades after a few days, if it even survives 24 hours.

It's pretty bad. Apparently my father had similar issues in his twenties, before he was diagnosed. He was unable to finish college or hold a steady job until he received the diagnosis and medication, which completely turned his life around.

My SSRI tamps down on the OCD pretty well, but it has no effect on the lack of brain juice. The days that I remember to take fish oil pills are pretty good, since they ameliorate that.

lysis10
Community Member

I probs have it tbh and I've thought about finding a psych to give me a cool adderall script that I will totes abuse, but addy addiction sounds like hell so I've avoided it. I'm not really into uppers and not sleeping until the shadow people show up. I like sleeping.

Community Member

If you actually have ADD, speed will bring you up to normal people levels. It may kill your appetite, though. Alternatively - and this is how my family manages it - take fish (krill, in particular) oil pills every day.

Jennifer M wrote:

I probs have it tbh and I've thought about finding a psych to give me a cool adderall script that I will totes abuse, but addy addiction sounds like hell so I've avoided it. I'm not really into uppers and not sleeping until the shadow people show up. I like sleeping.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for everyone. It didn't work for me so I stopped it pretty quickly.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi William, 

My son (10 y/o) has ADHD. He still needs to take the comprehensive test to confirm the doctor's diagnosis, but we were recommended to do some EF and social skills training. We thought that most kids his age were just "like that." But apparently, there were symptoms we were missing. We're glad we found out sooner. Structuring his day helps him cope with his schoolwork.

How are you managing it? 

~ Avery
Upwork
8467c28e
Community Member

For many freelancers with ADHD, staying focused and organized can be a significant challenge. They may struggle to manage their time effectively, prioritize tasks, and maintain consistent routines. Additionally, because freelancers often work independently, they may have to rely on their own discipline and motivation to stay on task and meet deadlines.

Some common challenges that freelancers with ADHD may face include:

1. Difficulty managing multiple projects and tasks at the same time
  2. Procrastination and difficulty getting started on projects
  3. Inconsistent work hours and difficulty maintaining a regular schedule
  4. Difficulty prioritizing tasks and focusing on the most important ones
  5. Forgetting important details or deadlines
  6. Struggles with time management and meeting deadlines
  7. Difficulty staying motivated and avoiding distractions

To help manage these challenges, freelancers with ADHD may need to develop strategies to stay focused and organized, such as breaking down larger projects into smaller tasks, setting clear deadlines for themselves, using productivity tools like calendars and to-do lists, and minimizing distractions. Seeking professional support and treatment, such as therapy or medication, can also be helpful in managing symptoms of ADHD.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths