🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Background noise!
Page options
jolouburn
Community Member

Background noise!

Just wondering how many of you work with background noise? By background noise, I mean a radio on or the TV even if you are not listening or watching.

 

I always have at least music on and find I work best this way. I couldn't tell you what I've 'listened' to or what was on TV should I have that on but somehow it makes me more productive. 

14 REPLIES 14
versailles
Community Member

Music. Often it is www.radioparadise.com

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   â€”William Ashbless

At the moment...only the sounds of seagulls and a distant lawn mower. Never music, or anything of my own choice. Ideally, just silence and a few natural sounds.


@Richard W wrote:

At the moment...only the sounds of seagulls and a distant lawn mower. Never music, or anything of my own choice. Ideally, just silence and a few natural sounds.


Natural sounds can be good too. If I'm working in the garden, which I do a lot at the moment, I don't always have music on. Sounds of the countryside, I live on a working farm in the middle of nowhere, are quite often enough for productive work.  

petra_r
Community Member


@Joanne B wrote:

I always have at least music on and find I work best this way. I couldn't tell you what I've 'listened' to or what was on TV should I have that on but somehow it makes me more productive. 


 Same here. Otherwise any noise outside (cat / neighbours / car / birds) distracts me.

 

I can, however, only handle up to two languages at any given time. If I am working with English and German I can only have English or German background noise - if the background is in another language (I also also Italian and Spanish language TV) the

language center in my brain goes on strike.

 

 


@Petra R wrote:

@Joanne B wrote:

I always have at least music on and find I work best this way. I couldn't tell you what I've 'listened' to or what was on TV should I have that on but somehow it makes me more productive. 


 Same here. Otherwise any noise outside (cat / neighbours / car / birds) distracts me.

 

I can, however, only handle up to two languages at any given time. If I am working with English and German I can only have English or German background noise - if the background is in another language (I also also Italian and Spanish language TV) the

language center in my brain goes on strike.


 I am the opposite. I need a third language or I start typing what I hear.

 

I usually listen to music, mainly classic or soundtracks and then there is currently the sound of the fan.


@Petra R wrote:

@Joanne B wrote:

I always have at least music on and find I work best this way. I couldn't tell you what I've 'listened' to or what was on TV should I have that on but somehow it makes me more productive. 


 Same here. Otherwise any noise outside (cat / neighbours / car / birds) distracts me.

 

I can, however, only handle up to two languages at any given time. If I am working with English and German I can only have English or German background noise - if the background is in another language (I also also Italian and Spanish language TV) the

language center in my brain goes on strike.

 

 


 I'm with you on other sounds being distracting. 

Hubby often asks how come I can work with the TV, music on but should his mobile phone ping or he plays a video on it I go mad! It drives him crazy. Smiley Tongue

booksist
Community Member

No way! I instantly get either absorbed or annoyed 😞

 

digiphics
Community Member

I generally listen to either classical, 70's rock or EMD, but if a baseball game is on then it's on. I can't have the clicking of my mouse or keyboard clicks. I need constant musical notes flying around in my head or I will go insane. Unlike some of you that use laptops, I'm chained to a desk

I often listen to music.  I read somewhere that Baroque music is most conducive to work and I find that's true.  On the other end of the spectrum, I often have the TV on...

bruce_dodds
Community Member

In 1996 when I started working from home I read somewhere that listening to Mozart piano sonatas made you smarter.  I've been listening to them ever since, getting smarter and smarter.

Music. The faster the music. The faster I work.

 

I've tried soft, calming music before, but it doesn't work for me. My brain gets bored and shuts down.

madison-russell
Community Member

Working in data entry, having background noise is an absolute must to avoid bashing my head into the desk. Currently, I listen to a lot of Twitch VODs or Youtube Let's Plays for various video games. I can glance at the game that is being played and listen to the commentary, and it's just enough to keep me from falling asleep but doesn't distract me. 

millermelanie
Community Member

Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!     Smiley LOL

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Music.

 

It helps me focus. But, any other type of background noise and my jimmies are rustled. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths