Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad/non-helpful replies on freelancers community discusion from authors

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
11 of 42

Deleted answers are not classic. They violate ToS, they are hurtful, they are mean spirited, they are scapegoating, they are a lot of things.  But they are not classic.  And therein lay the foundational problem with the Forum.  We cheerlead exactly what should never exist in the first place.

I have made my fair share of response mistakes.   But it is a poor bat that does not swing in both directions.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Zeeshan M Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
12 of 42

First of all, Upwork is an EXCELLENT environment for freelancers to grow and for legitamate clients to receive excellent service.

There are however few bad apples which tarnishes this places and makes it a toxic enviroment which further brings down the reputation of this platform.

To give one but specific examples: Community Guidelines

This is a professional environment. Not a bar brawl. Conduct yourself accordingly.

I am merely using this case study to highlight a significant flaw of your system.

Majority of hoi polloi are nice, courteous and professional people. However, what happens is - and same thing happened to me- is the fact we join and these "Gurus" and pundits chimes in with customer "service" answers that we mistakenly fall prey to the fact conflating/equating these Community Guidelines as the moderators.

On the other hand, Upwork moderators are nothing but courteous and professional.

However, this strictly needs to be pointed out and distinguished for the new members. Just because your racked up years and years of clockwork gives undue power which gets to your head to abuse members right and left - while parade yourselves as one of Top Contributors whence some of you really should be banned- does not give you ex oficio power to flex your authority anyway you choose bringing down the reputation of this platform.

Reign them in. Make it explicitly known they are not moderators. And hold them accountable.

I wanted to send this to corporate, but only way I can make my grievances heard is via creation of a new topic.

If as a company you want to focus on growth providing great service, then work on this basic principle.

Treat others as you would like to be treated.

I am refraining from further participation (I know no one cares [insert Spongebob Meme]) but the point being I refuse to engage in a place where some experienced haven't learned the first thing about people skills.

Politesse goes a long way in building customer relations. So far, 100% of my clients have been stellar and so are majority of the freelancers. But to reiterate, all these so called top "experienced" top gurus gives this place a disreputable image.

A wise man by the name of Lao Tzu once said: "Gentleness is the greatest strength." Being curt and jerk for the sake of being one will get you nowhere in life and is not a "credit". 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 42

All upwork employees are clearly marked with the green upwork logo next to their name in the forum posts. I understand that can easily be overlooked by a newbie. Of course all comments by non-employees is their opinion only. They don't get paid for it, and might have different motivations for participating. They might be underworked just trying to be helpful, or bored on their lunch break, or have nothing else to do find the forum exchanges highly entertaining. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Adam A Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
14 of 42

As Marina said, anyone with an official position at Upwork is clearly marked as such.

And I remember the post of which you speak. The poster was complaining not about their suspension, but about the connects they lost when all of their proposals were withdrawn because of it. They also admitted the suspension was because they agreed to accept payment off the platform, and that they knew it was against the rules.

In short, their complaint was that they lost money after being caught trying to defraud Upwork. They then came here looking for sympathy after being caught cheating.

Was the tone of some of the responses harsh? Yes. On the other hand, how sympathetic would you be to an admitted thief who tripped while fleeing with his stolen goods and suffered a minor injury?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Christine A Member Since: May 4, 2016
15 of 42
Aren't you the same guy who mocked a freelancer's English in another thread, after she posted one slightly out-of-place word in her response?
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Adam A Member Since: Apr 30, 2020
16 of 42

Christine A wrote:
Aren't you the same guy who mocked a freelancer's English in another thread, after she posted one slightly out-of-place word in her response?

Not as amusing as his telling someone else in that same thread to grow thicker skin.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
17 of 42

BtsArmyStuff Shop | Bts memes hilarious, Bts funny moments, Bts funny

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
18 of 42

Zeeshan M wrote:

Politesse goes a long way in building customer relations. 

You are a creative writer but could you fix the typo above. It is very distracting since Politesse is German for meter maid which makes you sentence rather funny to read.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 42

Jennifer R wrote:

Zeeshan M wrote:

Politesse goes a long way in building customer relations. 

You are a creative writer but could you fix the typo above. It is very distracting since Politesse is German for meter maid which makes you sentence rather funny to read.

It's also an utterly outdated English word not normally used by native speakers but popular with non-native speakers who want to sound "fancy".

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
20 of 42

I use politesse sometimes (depending on context)- to mean courtesy or politeness, which is also the meaning in French. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS