Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Bad/non-helpful replies on freelancers community discusion from authors

Highlighted
Community Guru
John B Member Since: Aug 20, 2015
11 of 21

Deleted answers are not classic. They violate ToS, they are hurtful, they are mean spirited, they are scapegoating, they are a lot of things.  But they are not classic.  And therein lay the foundational problem with the Forum.  We cheerlead exactly what should never exist in the first place.

 

I have made my fair share of response mistakes.   But it is a poor bat that does not swing in both directions.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
12 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:
But it probably wasn’t helpful

My answer got deleted for NO REASON.


Did you mention sweaties?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 21

Martina P wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:
But it probably wasn’t helpful

My answer got deleted for NO REASON.


Did you mention sweaties?


Not even one sweaty mention. I probably can't even mention the mention or risk a NO REASON again.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
14 of 21

Mark F wrote:

Abdullaziz A wrote:

Hi there, do you suggest giving limitations on the replies of the top authors and members on their replies. Do you agree that they need to know how to provide solutions than writing something that is not helpful for freelancers?


Well, first I have to wonder why you expect us to be helpful?  Why exactly do you think you deserve that help?  Some people would say we are "competitors" and personally I don't see it that way but if you have that mindset then why even should they want to help you.

 

So then you have to question why would a bunch of people hang around just to be unhelpful?  It seems like a weak motivation to me.

 

So you think they should be helpful and I think they wouldn't hang around to be unhelpful so maybe there is another answer.  Maybe, we should consider that they are trying to be helpful.

 

Hmm...let's explore that.  If they are trying to be helpful but you say that they are not, maybe the problem isn't entirely on them.  Maybe you are not understanding the help they provide.  Maybe it is because you expect to come with sugar and sometimes it is better dosed with vinegar.

 

I, like everyone except for Petra who was clearly born here, came to this forum looking to see what was what. I found a lot of good information here.  Some of it was in less than pleasant packaging (which I actually prefer) and some of it was confusing but it was here.  But I stayed, and became it's King, because it is a community.

 

A relatively free...relatively open...community.  And it should stay that way.  The kind of community that should allow people to come in and say that people are not helpful and the kind of community that allows me to respond.


If somebody asks nicely and has done his/her homework before asking (like not having a sloppy profile), I try to be helpful. If not, I just try to have fun. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
15 of 21

I used to try to be helpful. And I do still try to be helpful for people who are professionals and just need a little assistance here and there, because Upwork does have a bit of a learning curve. But as Mark alluded to, in the end we *are* competitors, *and* it is in our best interests to make sure Upwork puts its best foot forward. Which is to say, when I see a profile that looks like it was written by a third grader, claiming skills the person clearly does not have, and at a rate that is never going to do any of us any favors, I figure what's the point? That person needs to flame out.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
16 of 21

Kelly B wrote:

 That person needs to flame out.


Best comment of the week. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
17 of 21

Kelly B wrote:

I used to try to be helpful. And I do still try to be helpful for people who are professionals and just need a little assistance here and there, because Upwork does have a bit of a learning curve. But as Mark alluded to, in the end we *are* competitors, *and* it is in our best interests to make sure Upwork puts its best foot forward. Which is to say, when I see a profile that looks like it was written by a third grader, claiming skills the person clearly does not have, and at a rate that is never going to do any of us any favors, I figure what's the point? That person needs to flame out.


You are probably such a meanie because you are a community guru.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
18 of 21

Mark F wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

I used to try to be helpful. And I do still try to be helpful for people who are professionals and just need a little assistance here and there, because Upwork does have a bit of a learning curve. But as Mark alluded to, in the end we *are* competitors, *and* it is in our best interests to make sure Upwork puts its best foot forward. Which is to say, when I see a profile that looks like it was written by a third grader, claiming skills the person clearly does not have, and at a rate that is never going to do any of us any favors, I figure what's the point? That person needs to flame out.


You are probably such a meanie because you are a community guru.


I am such a meanie because I learned from the masters.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
19 of 21

Kelly B wrote:


I am such a meanie because I learned from the masters.


It's about time I'm finally recognized for the unique value I bring.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
20 of 21

Jennifer M wrote:

Kelly B wrote:


I am such a meanie because I learned from the masters.


It's about time I'm finally recognized for the unique value I bring.


and me Smiley Very Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS