cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid determination philosophy

mo7aa
Moh M Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
1 of 13

I always ask how the customer sees the bids, especially if the skills are similar among the job applicants, as I see a big gap between the bids submitted. This is my attempt to understand the market because I have the impression that we are about to work for free to win the job.

moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
2 of 13

Moh M wrote:

I always ask how the customer sees the bids, especially if the skills are similar among the job applicants, as I see a big gap between the bids submitted. This is my attempt to understand the market because I have the impression that we are about to work for free to win the job.

What gaps? 

What gives you the impression you have to work for free?

mo7aa
3 of 13
I meant the gap between the higher bid and the lowest one ,
When I see some interior designer willing to design and make a 3d Visualizing to a full apartment for 30$ it's making me sad and unfortunately most clients now like that,
That's why I said we almost going to work for free to win a jop
kinector
Community Guru
Mikko R Member Since: Dec 26, 2015
4 of 13

Moh M wrote:

I think the time spent on trying to figure out what the market rates are would be spent better on developing a stunning, way superior service than what 99% of your competitors offer.

The recipe for victory. 😉

Even if I saw other people's bids, why would I let it affect MY pricing?

mo7aa
5 of 13
I agree , but from my point of view I have to be flexible with the market changes.
I think some skills has a limit ,after that limit you can't level up anymore, i think I have to make career shafting.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 13

re: "I always ask how the customer sees the bids, especially if the skills are similar among the job applicants, as I see a big gap between the bids submitted. This is my attempt to understand the market"

There is not just "one way" that clients make a determination.

As a client, I have hired over 120 freelancers. I know that writing a good job posting is key to successful hiring. I wrote very specific, clear job postings. So the freelancers who apply to my jobs tend to self-select and be people who know they can do the work.

When I post jobs for short-term work, I often hire the first person who applies. Or if I am hiring multiple people, I will hire the first batch of people who apply, and then close or hide the job posting.

That means that most freelancers will never see my job post, because it is online for a very short time.

I know there are other clients who hire in a similar manner, but this is not the norm.

mo7aa
7 of 13
Sir you are so professional in what you do, unfortunately most of the clients are not , I know I have to wait to the golden client but that kind of clients very unique
moonraker
Community Guru
Jamie F Member Since: Mar 7, 2010
8 of 13

Moh M wrote:
Sir you are so professional in what you do, unfortunately most of the clients are not , I know I have to wait to the golden client but that kind of clients very unique

Not in my experience.

There are MANY clients on Upwork who are willing to pay well for good quality. Just look at some of the profiles of other freelancers on the platform. Look at the profiles of some of the freelancers in this community, even. 

Freelancers who have the skills and the necessary wherewithal can and do rise above the competition and charge what they think they are worth. 

You have excellent feedback so far, Moh. You should consider raising your prices to lift yourself up out of the bottom categories and start competing for some of the better-paid jobs. 

kamalanand25290
Kamal A Member Since: Feb 20, 2018
9 of 13

I am totally agree with Jamie F. There are many clients who do not focus much on cost, they focus on quality of freelancer and the quality of work.
Although the competetion is much because of availability of freelancers at low price, yet you shoud not lower your price to win that competetion.
Moh M, Keep your skills and price up, and keep looking for your level jobs. I wish you a very Good Luck for your future!!

2a05aa63
Community Guru
Viacheslav K Member Since: Sep 9, 2015
10 of 13

Moh M wrote:

Be the first ones who send a proposal. Sending one after there's 10+ application is a waste of connects, unless you were invited.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS