Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Brother

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
11 of 17

Richard S wrote:

An editor or a proofreader who makes typos or grammar mistakes, that's always embarrassing. Editors and proofreaders, however, work in different languages. Upwork forums are English only, an editor working in another language may not have a full command of English.

That's just the kind of 'Professional Translator (Eng) and Proofreader' I would want to hire....

You need to learn how to quote message properly on this forum, because the way you do this makes you look **Edited for Community Guidelines** for answering to yourself.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
12 of 17

Richard S wrote:

Hi Tiffany, would that not be making fun of another poster, which has been pointed out to me is against the site's Guidelines? And if even if that was the case, why could the poster simply not be able to point out to me my misunderstanding, as opposed to the post being edited, which implies that I had a valid point?

Quoting someone? I think we'll all be in a lot of trouble if verbatim stating back what someone claimed is considered making fun of them. 

Obviously, I can't read minds. However, it's worth noting that the poster in question had nothing to do with removing your post--that was the independent judgment of a moderator who noticed that you were derailing the direction of the thread with irrelevant personal criticism.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
13 of 17

I thought reopening a discussion on a deleted post, was against the community guidelines? 

Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
BEST ANSWER
14 of 17

Do you know I've caught English presenters on the BBC quite a few times in errors.

But did that make me like and respect them any less? No.

Did I brand them as incompetent? No.

In fact, I continue to follow those podcasts quite faithfully.

If anything, I love the fact the fact that

- they are humans, and

- that I can catch them in errors (albeit subtle, albeit rare and far in between).

Am I, the one detecting the errors, capable of them? Absolutely, in fact I do make a tonne of them.

There is absolutely no need to brand a proofreader even if it's an English proofreader as incompetent because of an error that occured on the Upwork community, the home of professional banter.

Don't also expect the mods to support you when you do that. Allow the freelancer's clients and the JSS algorithm to do their respective jobs.

Obsess not over this.

Community Leader
Richard S Member Since: Mar 12, 2019
15 of 17

I promise to never, ever do this again.

Community Leader
sandra w Member Since: Apr 11, 2016
16 of 17

I feel your pain. On a non-professional note, I belong to a slimming site and every second entry is about "loosing weight", "how much should I loose?" etc. Aagh! I want to correct them every time but fear I'll be thrown off the site, lol.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 17

Richard and others,

I'd like to note that personal attacks based on a user's English, accusations of incompetence as well as discussing or reposting deleted posts are against the Community Guidelines. 

Please, refer to this link to find out more about what content may be edited or removed. This thread will be closed from further replies.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS