🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: COVID-19 is rearing its ugly head again
Page options
ravi_iitian
Community Member

COVID-19 is rearing its ugly head again

Things seemed to under control.

But, in the last few weeks, the number of cases has gone up quite dramatically.

Today, the festival Holi was celebrated.

The close contact during Holi could make it a super-spreader event.

https://www.holifestival.org/

"Certa bonum certamen"
17 REPLIES 17
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Oh Ravi,I am so sorry. I have been thinking about you in these crazy times.  Have you had a chance to get vaccinated yet?  I live in what is considered a very backward state, but vaccinations are open to anyone over 16,  we have had mass vaccination locations for months now.  I am in the Astra Zeneca US trial so I won't know if I got the real stuff until it's gotten US approval, which now looks like late April or early May.  Sigh.

We've had a lot of Covid - 3 kids in the family have it now - but no one has been terribly ill, although I did lose several friends early on in New Orleans.

Prayers for you, your family and your countrymen.  God bless.

Mary W wrote:

I am in the Astra Zeneca US trial so I won't know if I got the real stuff until it's gotten US approval, which now looks like late April or early May.  Sigh.

That is terrible (the not knowing).

Yes, I get the AstraZeneca vaccine a couple of weeks ago.

Lost some relatives, but my wife and kids are fine.

Take care. God bless.

"Certa bonum certamen"

I could drop out of the test and get one of the other vaccines right away but that really seems like a chicken thing to do, especially since they reimburse me for time and travel.  I got my first shot in December, second in January and I'll just wait it out.  

I was one of the first children to test the Salk polio vaccine in the early 50's.  (Turned out I got the placebo).  I am a firm believer in helping when I can.  AstraZeneca was looking for elderly volunteers and I figured I might as well do it.

Am so glad to hear your wife and kids are good.  One son had it but never had any symptoms.  My daughter has had at least one shot.  My son who lives with me is dragging his feet a bit but being a good Irish mother, I shall eventually grab him by the ear and drag him to Walgreen's for the shot.

Mary W wrote:

I was one of the first children to test the Salk polio vaccine in the early 50's.  (Turned out I got the placebo).  I am a firm believer in helping when I can.  AstraZeneca was looking for elderly volunteers and I figured I might as well do it.

Kudos, Mary!

"Certa bonum certamen"

Mary W wrote:

My son who lives with me is dragging his feet a bit but being a good Irish mother, I shall eventually grab him by the ear and drag him to Walgreen's for the shot.

Haha! I have had firsthand experience with some Irish people (my teachers).

"Certa bonum certamen"

Mary W wrote:

I could drop out of the test and get one of the other vaccines right away but that really seems like a chicken thing to do, especially since they reimburse me for time and travel.  I got my first shot in December, second in January and I'll just wait it out.  

How long do you have to wait for? Hope nothing bad happens to you while you're waiting...

I finally decided I would accept to be vaccinated, but I still have to wait for my turn. I'm so tired of these never ending confinements, curfews and the such...

luce-neidert
Community Member

I saw the Holi festival on the news here in France two days ago. A beautiful festival, but extremely dangerous under the circumstances. If I got it right, it was forbidden in most places, though.

Luce N wrote:

I saw the Holi festival on the news here in France two days ago. A beautiful festival, but extremely dangerous under the circumstances. If I got it right, it was forbidden in most places, though.

Yes, Luce, there were restrictions imposed on gatherings, but when the festival spirit kicks in, caution is flung to the winds.

"Certa bonum certamen"

I'm afraid you're right!

Here in France, an illegal carnival was organised by some group In the streets of the city of Marseille, a few days ago !

Luce, once AstraZeneca applies for, and gets, emergency approval in the US, I will be un-blinded and get the real stuff if I didn't already.  I suspect late April or early May sometime.  I'm not terribly concerned about catching it - everyone in my city is still masking, voluntarily, and being extremely careful.

ravi_iitian
Community Member

Ravindra B wrote:

Things seemed to under control.

But, in the last few weeks, the number of cases has gone up quite dramatically.

https://www.holifestival.org/

And India is now in really bad shape!

"Certa bonum certamen"

I read that in the news just today.  Ravi, I am so sorry.  Prayers for the upswing to reverse quickly.

Ravi, stay safe and that means going out as little as possible. If you need masks I can send you some. Also - not kidding here, and no, I am not a conspiracy theorist - take as much vitamin D 3 as you are allowed and add zinc to the mix, this will at least strengthen your immune system.  

(They are so hot on vit D 3 in my part of  France, that my local pharmacies have, temporarily,  run out of it!) 

Thank you, Nichola.

I will heed your advice.

"Certa bonum certamen"

Ravi, the US media is full of horror stories about India.  Please take very, very good care.  You are in my thoughts and prayers daily.

Mary,

Things are pretty bad out here.

My family and I are safe.

"Certa bonum certamen"

I echo Mary's thoughts Ravi. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths