Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

California Assembly Bill 5 - Upwork Comment

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
81 of 88

California's AB5 is definitely not something that ONLY Californians are concerned about... I think the whole country is watching what is going on there. This is an interesting article from New Jersey...

https://www.insidernj.com/press-release/fight-freelancers-anti-independent-contractor-law-ab5-not-wo...

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 9.19.26 AM.png

Highlighted
DJ B Member Since: Feb 23, 2018
82 of 88

Thanks, Mary. This is the first time I've seen that. It's a great workaround until AB5 is changed.

Upwork should send an email so everyone knows it's available.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
83 of 88

Just wanted to add to this that today the U.S. House of Representatives passed a federal bill (HR 2474) with a test identical to the AB5 "ABC Test," but WITHOUT the long list of exemptions the California statute offers. 

Even with the exemptions, huge numbers of California freelancers have been thrown out of work. (You can read some of their stories here: https://rolls.bublup.com/Anderson/AB5-Personal-Stories

It's unlikely that the federal bill will become law during this session, as the Republican-dominated Senate won't likely support it. But, it's out there, and if it does pass will have a much more significant impact than AB5 has (in scope in addition to the fact that it will impact the whole country rather than just one state).

Highlighted
Community Guru
84 of 88

Obviously the best way to prevent the federal bill from becoming law is for Americans who oppose that law to not vote for whichever party put forth that law. If the Senate and executive branch were to be controlled by the party that passed the law in the House, then there is a good chance that this and other anti-freelancing laws would become law.

Highlighted
Community Guru
85 of 88

re: "huge numbers of California freelancers have been thrown out of work"

I believe this will continue to happen a long as AB5 is in effect.

This is how the law is intended to work.

It is an anti-freelancing law.

Even if the law were rescinded today, California freelancers would continue to be impacted because momentum from such a thing can't be reversed or halted immediately.

I no longer California, but that is where I'm from (San Ramon). I am a strong supporter of Californians and California freelancers. But as a freelancer myself, of course I don't support AB5.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
86 of 88

Preston H wrote:

Obviously the best way to prevent the federal bill from becoming law is for Americans who oppose that law to not vote for whichever party put forth that law. If the Senate and executive branch were to be controlled by the party that passed the law in the House, then there is a good chance that this and other anti-freelancing laws would become law.

Organized pushback seems to be having an impact in California, and it's fair to assume that the spectacular failure of the California law will inform federal lawmakers and those in other states if it gets enough attention.

Highlighted
Jennifer M Member Since: Jan 13, 2016
87 of 88

Hey all. I am a freelance writer in California and everyone has been talking about this new measure. Are any of you in California as well? Are you concerned? I have heard all kinds of different things about it but I am not letting myself freak out.

Yet. 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Jason B Member Since: Jan 3, 2020
88 of 88

Search AB5 in these forums.  There's a few threads highlighting people's concerns and issues.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS