🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Can the time tracking dropdowns be more i...
Page options
jack_lyons11
Community Member

Can the time tracking dropdowns be more intuitive?

I really hate the time tracking dropdowns when logging hours. I wish it would be simpler. Here's a suggestion:

When you enter your start time (say 3pm), the end time dropdown should only have hours from 3pm downards.

This saves me having to scroll alllllll the way down (because it starts  at 12am) to find the time beyond 3pm.

Hope this makes sense, and hopefully this can be done?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Jack and Jennifer,

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked and it seems that the option you are referring to actually exists on the Desktop App. After selecting the start time, the end time will only show time frames after the start time as shown in the screenshot here. However, the same option on the website is slightly different as it will only select the next time frame, but the time frames before will still exist in the dropdown. As background, on the Work Diary on your account, the time frames originally worked in the same way you suggested and the process was updated to the current flow based on the request and feedback we were receiving from Freelancers. I will make sure to send the feedback to our team for consideration.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
mcpilot
Community Member

Are you referring to when you enter time manually? 

Yes

If I were you, I would not use manual hour much.
You know they're not protected for payment, right?

Also, you would save yourself looking for the hours in the drop-down menu 🙂

That’s not really a productive answer... I think it would be nice to have the fix anyway...
lysis10
Community Member

hahaha YES finally a complaint I agree with. It really is a pain.

Mine flips back to UTC time too and you can't flip it back when you realize it after you've already opened the window, so I just say "fook it, just leaving the wrong time there who cares" and move on with my day. 

Yeah me too, I end up just putting in random times ... I bet this change could be done.. Upwork team, please listen and add this to your feature list 🙂 thank  you

Jack L wrote:

Yeah me too, I end up just putting in random times ... I bet this change could be done.. Upwork team, please listen and add this to your feature list 🙂 thank  you

That's what I do too. So far, nobody has complained. Only time it's a pain though is if I put in a random time and then I use the time tracker and there is conflict. blah.

Hi Jack and Jennifer,

Thanks for your suggestion. I checked and it seems that the option you are referring to actually exists on the Desktop App. After selecting the start time, the end time will only show time frames after the start time as shown in the screenshot here. However, the same option on the website is slightly different as it will only select the next time frame, but the time frames before will still exist in the dropdown. As background, on the Work Diary on your account, the time frames originally worked in the same way you suggested and the process was updated to the current flow based on the request and feedback we were receiving from Freelancers. I will make sure to send the feedback to our team for consideration.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Aleksandar D wrote:

Hi Jack and Jennifer,

Thank you.

I use my browser to enter time. I'm kinda surprised freelancers would actually ask to see and scroll all the way down on the End Time dropdown, because there is no reason to enter a time previous to the start time. As a matter of fact, if you try it gives you an error. So yeah, I have some doubts about that.

Also, my complaint is also if you open the screen to enter time and realize you're in UTC later, you have to close the screen, change it, and then go back and redo the time.

tta192
Community Member

These dropdowns used to work much better: you were able to enter the time from the keyboard, in 24H format. So for "8am" you would select the dropdown and just type "08". For "6pm" it was "18". 

For some reason it doesn't work like that anymore.

Thanks for the helpful reply! I have now downloaded the desktop app and can see the functionality works as expected 🙂

elyannie
Community Member

I agree the time tracking system for logging manual labor hours is not ideal. It would be easier if we could click on the checkbox from the Work Diary page and input manual time worked from there. Of course, this would mean that all hours would need to be visible from the Work Diary page and I don't know how much of a revamp would need to take place for this request. Similar to the way we can select an existing time block from the work diary page and hit delete.

I also find it a struggle to not run into time logged for other clients, it would be helpful if those times would be "greyed" out so they can't be selected. Or perhaps an alternative to scrolling down to input our time, it could be possible to input the time by entering the numbers using the keyboard. Scrolling down from 12am every time is clunky.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths