Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clients Hiring Based on Country

Ace Contributor
Taha A Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
1 of 16

Hi all,
Do you think that clients care about the freelancer's country when making the hiring decision? Do they take that fact into consideration? Do you think that freelancers from Arab/Asian countries might get rejected just because they are from Arab/Asian countries?

Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
2 of 16

Taha A wrote:

Hi all,
Do you think that clients care about the freelancer's country when making the hiring decision? Do they take that fact into consideration? Do you think that freelancers from Arab/Asian countries might get rejected just because they are from Arab/Asian countries?

Taha,

the answer to all your questions is: Yes, but not all of them.

Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
3 of 16

There are so many clients, so many situations that I would not try to be in the clients' minds.

They are mostly looking for someone to do their job properly, and it's easier if you are available when they are up. Apart from that, I would not expect all clients to avoid the same countries.

Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
4 of 16

Upwork is not different from real life and therefore, yeah some clients don't want to work with people depending on their origin, their country, their color, their s e x (...). Don't think about that, try to focus on clients needs and on what you could offer to them.

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
5 of 16

Hi Yazid,

Yazid M wrote:

Upwork is not different from real life and therefore, yeah some clients don't want to work with people depending on their origin, their country, their color, their s e x (...). Don't think about that, try to focus on clients needs and on what you could offer to them.

Just to confirm that the above is a violation of our TOS and we don't support any type of discrimination. If you see any jobs like this feel free to send us (Moderators) the job post link and our team will investigate it further. Thank you.

Untitled
Ace Contributor
Yazid M Member Since: Jan 8, 2019
6 of 16

Goran V wrote:

Hi Yazid,

Yazid M wrote:

Just to confirm that the above is a violation of our TOS and we don't support any type of discrimination. If you see any jobs like this feel free to send us (Moderators) the job post link and our team will investigate it further. Thank you.

Hello Goran,

Yes I know that and trust me, I take no prisoners when it come with a discrimination (every types of discriminations). But, most of the time, you don't know if you're victim of the discrimination because you're just not being interviewed and that could be a reason among others and then, it's better to move on and not think about it.

Also sometimes, it's more subtle. For example, a client has already said to me that he would not rise my rate because it was his rate with his others freelancers... from Africa. And I'm a frenchman living in France. That's not for me a direct form of discrimination but a way to maintain low rates with the excuse to be a part of a global marketplace.
And btw, I have only seen one time a job offer with a discriminate element but it was removed really fast.

Have a nice day mate

Community Guru
7 of 16

Goran V wrote:

Hi Yazid,

Yazid M wrote:

Does that mean all the jobs exclusive to people in the US violate the ToS?

Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
8 of 16

Hi Jennifer,

Upwork does not allow discrimination against color, race or national origin. If a client expresses a preference in a job post that is discriminatory, they are in violation of our Terms of Service and we will take action and remove those job posts. We allow clients to search and hire based on the freelancer’s location because we recognize that some projects may require localized knowledge, work within certain time zones, or other factors that require the freelancer be in a specific location. Thank you.

Untitled
Community Guru
9 of 16

Goran V wrote:

Hi Jennifer,

Upwork does not allow discrimination against color, race or national origin. If a client expresses a preference in a job post that is discriminatory, they are in violation of our Terms of Service and we will take action and remove those job posts. We allow clients to search and hire based on the freelancer’s location because we recognize that some projects may require localized knowledge, work within certain time zones, or other factors that require the freelancer be in a specific location. Thank you.

So it is ok to write: I only want freelancers living in Europe. But it is against the Tos to write: I do not want freelancers living outside Europe.

Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
10 of 16

Jennifer R wrote:

So it is ok to write: I only want freelancers living in Europe. But it is against the Tos to write: I do not want freelancers living outside Europe.

Terms of Use

4.1 EXAMPLES OF PROHIBITED USES OF THE SITE

(...)

Expressing an unlawful preference in a job post or proposal or otherwise unlawfully discriminating on a protected basis;

(...)

Unless unlawful in California, both are allowed.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS