Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Clients who give paid holidays/ national holidays

menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
1 of 11

Greetings everyone,

Just wondering, on the eve of US Independence day, does anyone have a client who provides paid holidays/ national holiday? So even if you don't work on that particular day, he pays you the average daily wages.

Has anyone come across so generous? Or am I living in the world of unicorns, fairies, wizards and what not Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 11

Nikhil, I appreciate your willingness to think outside the box... but why would a client do that? It doesn't make any sense.

Contractors aren't employees. They are independent business owners who make arrangements with other businesses and provide a service.

menikhildesai
Community Guru
Nikhil D Member Since: May 28, 2015
3 of 11

True true....

But sometimes the mind does crazy things, and out comes the stupidity Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley LOL

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
4 of 11

My client does pay on international holidays such as Christmas and Easter, and lets us clock a week or two of manual time. Same for two-three weeks of vacation. Paying me for US holidays makes no sense as I am not in the US, but friendly clients appreciative of their team do exist.

m_njari
Community Guru
MERCY N Member Since: May 6, 2015
5 of 11

Wow! Are you lucky, Krisztina or what!

If only there was a queue to join, I'd ask you to put my name on the list. Cling to that one - you can be sure there aren't many like those anywhere...

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 11

Wow, Krisztina... thanks for sharing your experience with this.

I think it is GREAT.

So I'm absolutely 100% supporting a client's right to do this.

(although I find it completely bizarre)

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
7 of 11

@Preston H wrote:

(although I find it completely bizarre)

Why is it bizarre? Just because I am a freelancer does not mean I am any less integral to my client's team or success, so while I don't take his kindness for granted, I do think it makes perfect sense for him to do this and it's not entirely unselfish. After all, we give a little, and we take a little. This applies to clients and freelancers alike, or at the very least, should.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
8 of 11

The most generous customer I ever had was actually a cancellation. lol

The guy hired me to do some SEO tweaking for him in his .NET project. $770 funded in escrow. He said he needed to finish up. I told him no problem and to take his time.

A week goes by and he says he needs more time. No problem.

3 weeks later and I'm about to ping him and he gives me $150 for my time and asks for a refund for the rest. Kinda sucked but still really nice of him to give me something just for talking with him.

tahsin-f-hossain
Tahsin H Member Since: May 8, 2015
9 of 11

This is not totally related but since we are on the topic of generous clients, I have to share the story of one my most recent experiences. This contract started in April and after completing about 1/3rd I fell sick and could not work for almost a month. I proposed to my client that he finds another contractor to finish the remaining work and would not need to pay me anything since we were close to the deadline and he would have to take on the hassle of finding another contractor. He said he could afford to and would wait for me to get better and finish the work because he liked my work so much. Then further down the month he knocked me proactively and said he wants to pay me 50% since I have worked on it a long time (inlcuding the time I was sick). So even though I completed only 1/3 of the job, he paid me 50% and then waited for me patiently. I finally completed the job more than a month after the agreed deadline. The final surprise came when he made the remaining payment. The contract was for $1,000 and he paid me additional $250 as bonus. Smiley Happy

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
10 of 11

I have one from two years back (as I stopped freelancing for two years and only resumed this Feb 2015).

We were hit by Typhoon Haiyan last November 2013. Two of my favorite clients thought I was in peril but my part of the country is an entire flight's distance from where the storm hit. We were still hit but not so much. We only suffered blackouts but resumed normal work two days later.

Nonetheless they gave me $100 each as help. 

As for those clients who pay holidays, I've known other freelancers in my country who often cite clients paying them bonuses for Christmas. These freelancers, though, often work in the VA or CSR category which means they are often discussing projects with their clients. These types of jobs generate a level of professional intimacy which then translates to good rapport and a chance to land a bonus on some holidays.

My point is, if you are able to somehow establish a decent relationship with your client, there's a good chance you'll get a bonus (or a donation in my case).

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS