🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Community Guru Shaming
Page options
florydev
Community Member

Community Guru Shaming

Has anyone besides me wondered why some people fixate on the community titles when they are irritated about what we post?  

It's always some variation of "I would expect more from a community guru!"

59 REPLIES 59
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mark:
You pose an interesting question.

I really don't think much of it. The people who say something like this typically don't know that the titles are attached to our names automatically, based purely on the number of posts we have posted in the Forum.

Such a comment is not really logical. It's personal and emotional. It's like saying "I would expect something more from someone with a moustache."

I don't find it to be an interesting or substantive comment.

Preston H wrote:

Mark:
You pose an interesting question.

I really don't think much of it. The people who say something like this typically don't know that the titles are attached to our names automatically, based purely on the number of posts we have posted in the Forum.

Such a comment is not really logical. It's personal and emotional. It's like saying "I would expect something more from someone with a moustache."

I don't find it to be an interesting or substantive comment.

The first time I noticed it used in that derogatory fashion, the very next day someone else used it that way and I my immediate thought it was two accounts.  It just seemed such an odd expression.  It is probably just that thing where once you notice something you can't stop noticing it (which google tells me is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baader%E2%80%93Meinhof_effect).

lysis10
Community Member

I have a bit of a Nihilist outlook on life, but I generally think the people who rant about gurus would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place. Maybe that's why I LOL so much when I read their rants. They're on reddit too but on reddit I get to play with them.

It's like Jay Z says, with the same sword they knight you

they gon good night you with

re: "would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place."

They want to take our place as forum addicts?

Be careful what you wish for.

Preston H wrote:

re: "would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place."

They want to take our place as forum addicts?

Be careful what you wish for.

Don't ask me why people want to be Upwork forum famous, but they do. They even want to be moderators on their first post.

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

I have a bit of a Nihilist outlook on life, but I generally think the people who rant about gurus would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place. Maybe that's why I LOL so much when I read their rants. 

It's such a tough club to get into...just post a lot.  Try to be helpful maybe a bit.

They're on reddit too but on reddit I get to play with them.

I haven't read anything on there yet that I was like, that's J but I want to figure it out.  I don't even look at usernames because that is cheating.  I think it will be hard to figure out because you are almost certainly more unrestrained.

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I have a bit of a Nihilist outlook on life, but I generally think the people who rant about gurus would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place. Maybe that's why I LOL so much when I read their rants. 

It's such a tough club to get into...just post a lot.  Try to be helpful maybe a bit.

They're on reddit too but on reddit I get to play with them.

I haven't read anything on there yet that I was like, that's J but I want to figure it out.  I don't even look at usernames because that is cheating.  I think it will be hard to figure out because you are almost certainly more unrestrained.

She is easy to identify because she calls everybody sweaty just like in the forum. (Gotcha, girl!)

She is easy to identify because she calls everybody sweaty just like in the forum. (Gotcha, girl!)

No, now I can't not look, it is like knowing a cheat code for a video game.

kbadeau
Community Member

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here. I think their forum naming convention is not particularly intuitive.

florydev
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here. I think their forum naming convention is not particularly intuitive.

That's what I wonder to.  I have definitely seen some people go after people because they thought they were being treated rude by an employee.  There is also plenty of consiperacy theories that many of them are and are just posing as FL's.  I think people who think like that are what Jennifer M calls "sweaties"...but I am not positive.

Kelly B wrote:

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here.

Well, I was indeed going to mention that there are a great number of people who believe we are Upwork representatives.

Kelly B wrote:

Same here. Picture my sheer delight when I realized that frequent posting assigns fancy titles!

Kelly B wrote:

Some of us pray nightly for the utter abolition of the forum "ranks." We've given up on asking Upwork to do that very sensible thing.

sein_mac
Community Member

I had the same experience here at first thinking "Gurus" where represenitive of Upwork.  I think a better naming system would be more transparent and better for newcomers.

People can hide behind whatever titles.

Pay more attention to the tone and character.

It will help separate the sheep from the wolves.

And for the wolves:

There is just one Alpha. He protects his sheep by eating your heart.

so do better or become a feast for the lambs.

Martina P wrote:

About "sweaty".

Is that a typo of "sweetie"? First time I saw "sweaty" I took it to be a prejorative,

then wondered why it wasn't "Edited for Community Guidelines".

It's only illogical once you understand that the title is automatically assigned by a simple software algorithm. I don't think a lot of folks know that though.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

My purely subjective, anecdotal take on it is people who fly off the handle at evil gurus consistently exhibit one or more of the following:

- They are not hearing what they want to hear (which is usually endorsement of their complaint and sympathy at their plight).

- They perceive everything negative as something that happens to them, rather than a result of choices they have made.

- They tend to have an "us v. them" mentality in general, displayed most often in rants about the evils of UW which spills over onto anybody who doesn't jump on their rant-wagon or, even worse, disagrees or challenges their reasoning.

- They are not interested in learning how others have addressed whatever problem they are experiencing, they just want to rant about it.

- They take everything personally, experiencing constructive criticism and/or disagreement with their stated position as personal attacks.

- They reduce every discussion to an ad hominem argument.

- They are unnecessarily belligerent, even in the face of calm and empathetic responses.

- They can be entertaining as all get-out.

Phyllis G wrote:

My purely subjective, anecdotal take on it is people who fly off the handle at evil gurus consistently exhibit one or more of the following:

- They are not hearing what they want to hear (which is usually endorsement of their complaint and sympathy at their plight).

- They perceive everything negative as something that happens to them, rather than a result of choices they have made.

- They tend to have an "us v. them" mentality in general, displayed most often in rants about the evils of UW which spills over onto anybody who doesn't jump on their rant-wagon or, even worse, disagrees or challenges their reasoning.

- They are not interested in learning how others have addressed whatever problem they are experiencing, they just want to rant about it.

- They take everything personally, experiencing constructive criticism and/or disagreement with their stated position as personal attacks.

- They reduce every discussion to an ad hominem argument.

- They are unnecessarily belligerent, even in the face of calm and empathetic responses.

- They can be entertaining as all get-out.

That last point Phyllis...is why I come to the forums lol.

Oh crap. I just became a "Community Leader." Let me make it clear now. I know nothing. Smiley Very Happy

Amanda L wrote:

Oh crap. I just became a "Community Leader." Let me make it clear now. I know nothing. Smiley Very Happy

Actually the reason I even knew I had changed to Community Leader is that someone called me out saying I would expect more from a "community leader".

Just a title man, I didn't ask for it or even want it.

lysis10
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Actually the reason I even knew I had changed to Community Leader is that someone called me out saying I would expect more from a "community leader".

You're a community guru now. I expect more from you.

There is a lifecycle for every doe-eyed little noob that shows up on the forum. They start off all cute and precious and optimistic, and then after a few weeks of reading the people on here it's down the sarcasm path. It's the only path that keeps people sane when reading some of these people's post. 

kbadeau
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

There is a lifecycle for every doe-eyed little noob that shows up on the forum. They start off all cute and precious and optimistic, and then after a few weeks of reading the people on here it's down the sarcasm path. It's the only path that keeps people sane when reading some of these people's post. 

Sooo.... what exactly IS a sweaty? Inquiring minds want to know.

Signed, FL whose brain is boiling in the AZ desert.

shefen
Community Member

Central Texas here. "Sweaty" is what happens when you live in place that looks like this:

7dayforecast.png

Typical August. I'm working this week so I can pay my electric bill this month. Last week it was to pay for the AC repair.

florydev
Community Member

My kids use the term sweaty tryhard:

Sweat” literally means that after a fight, the player was surely trying so hard to make a flashy play that they're sweating.

More detail here:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sweaty%20Tryhard

Not positive that is what Jennifer means...

lysis10
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

I'm a really bad speller! We need a rule that nobody can make fun of my spelling.

kbadeau
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Mark F wrote:

I'm a really bad speller! We need a rule that nobody can make fun of my spelling.

lol I am not trying to shame you I swear! I've just never heard the word used the way you use it. For example: "Yikes, sweaty. Freelancer shoulda run if you indeed said it wasn't complicated and simple to do for a competent coder. haha that's textbook "client to avoid." "

lysis10
Community Member

Kelly B wrote:

lol I am not trying to shame you I swear! I've just never heard the word used the way you use it. For example: "Yikes, sweaty. Freelancer shoulda run if you indeed said it wasn't complicated and simple to do for a competent coder. haha that's textbook "client to avoid." "

It's ok I deserved to be shamed. 

Here I am bustin my hump for da man and you guys shame me. Don't you know who I am? I'm a community guru gdammit.

Jennifer M wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

Here I am bustin my hump for da man and you guys shame me. Don't you know who I am? I'm a community guru gdammit.

At last! I only joined this thread to see some community gurus being shamed.

Richard W wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

At last! I only joined this thread to see some community gurus being shamed.

According to https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sweaty you were using the word correctly.

I guess I just un-shamed you. D--n.

Jennifer M wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

Naw, honest to gawd, nobody was shaming you. Us little freelancers were just wispering amongst ourselves about the meaning of sweaty, being in awe of your command of the language, suspecting you invented a word maybe that will be in standard use very soon? Besides, it's just fun to follow a thread with my tribe, the gurus, no lowly aces or such, just us elite!

florydev
Community Member

Jennifer M wrote:

Kelly B wrote:

Walk Of Shame GIF

Mark, the video snippet you posted is very short. I think I remember the scene was longer. And way more interesting.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Amanda L wrote:

@Amanda 

I notice that you haven't become a "solutions author" yet. Good for you!!!!
I think it's a little easier going if you don't come across as a "Community Learder" who can solve anything. So just keep focusing on not solving anything, and you should be fine. 🙂

Renata S wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

@Amanda 

I think it's a little easier going if you don't come across as a "Community Learder" who can solve anything. So just keep focusing on not solving anything, and you should be fine. 🙂

I had no idea there was a method to my (statistically verified) unhelpfulness.

Renata S wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

@Amanda 

Awesome. I'll make sure to keep making pointless comments that are completely unhelpful. Every forum needs a few of those...

Amanda L wrote:

Renata S wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

@Amanda 

Awesome. I'll make sure to keep making pointless comments that are completely unhelpful. Every forum needs a few of those...

Very true. Without unhelpful comments there'd be nothing to criticise. And where's the fun in that?

Richard W wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

Renata S wrote:

Amanda L wrote:

@Amanda 

Very true. Without unhelpful comments there'd be nothing to criticise. And where's the fun in that?

Apparently I'm also top kudoed now. Is there a monetary prize for that? Or does UpWork charge for that honor too?

Yeah, its a simplistic algorithm which doesn't take into account the quality of our contribution, just the quantity. 🙂
Latest Articles
Learning Paths