🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Community Guru Shaming
Page options
florydev
Community Member

Community Guru Shaming

Has anyone besides me wondered why some people fixate on the community titles when they are irritated about what we post?  

It's always some variation of "I would expect more from a community guru!"

59 REPLIES 59

Exactly! Amanda.

Knowing nothing is the answer: Factorization.

versailles
Community Member

Mark F wrote:

Has anyone besides me wondered why some people fixate on the community titles when they are irritated about what we post?  

It's always some varaition of "I would expect more from a community guru!"

Wait till they post enough rants so they get this stupid label too.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Wait until someone throws a dart that lands on your photo and suddenly you're the Featured Contributor. Then freelancers assume you MUST be an upwork employee and send all their customer service requests to you.

Bill, you do / did have the right to decline ...  😉

Wendy C wrote:

I declined the honor and they still sent me a mug. That was nice.

dagnabbit, I want a mug!

Martina P wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

Michael S. has been the "Featured Contributor" ever since I joined the forum - is that because everybody else is declining this honour as well?

Christine A wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

Michael S. has been the "Featured Contributor" ever since I joined the forum - is that because everybody else is declining this honour as well?

I am almost said this exact same thing.

Christine A wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Wendy C wrote:

Would you (or have you) do it if they asked?  I am, um, asking for a friend.

Mark, alert your "um ... friend" that the honor of featured contributor subjects you to a gazillion + some pleas and demands for help from group of freelancers. In other words, your personal message area explodes - and according to prior contributors, sadly some of the messages are neither PC, entertaining, nor Upwork related.

Wendy C wrote:

Mark, alert your "um ... friend" that the honor of featured contributor subjects you to a gazillion + some pleas and demands for help from group of freelancers. In other words, your personal message area explodes - and according to prior contributors, sadly some of the messages are neither PC, entertaining, nor Upwork related.

Trust me, nobody is going to want to see this guy's bobs.  He is a truly pathetic creature that might enjoy that kind of attention even as much as he would rail against it.  If I am being generous to him, and I have no cause to be, he might also want to help if he can.

datasciencewonk
Community Member

Mildly philosophical question: What if the guru has no shame? Then what?

I'm not naming names. Indeed, none specifically came to mind. 😉

Kat C wrote:

Well, shaming people is more fun if they actually feel ashamed. But if they don't, you still have the pleasure of feeling self-righteous. Usually, instead of feeling ashamed, they just get self-righteous right back at you. So everybody gets to feel self-righteous, and it's a win-win. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

Richard W wrote:

Kat C wrote:

Well, shaming people is more fun if they actually feel ashamed. But if they don't, you still have the pleasure of feeling self-righteous. Usually, instead of feeling ashamed, they just get self-righteous right back at you. So everybody gets to feel self-righteous, and it's a win-win. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

It's more entertaining than strolling the Vegas Strip...

Totally serious.

@ Kelly re sweaty. I think one has to understand Jen-speak. I doubt it was a spelling error ...

😉

Almost spat my tea over the keyboard a few times reading this thread this morning...gave me some much-needed giggles.

lysis10
Community Member

Hey there has been a lack of guru shaming these days and it's unacceptable. We need more guru shaming inclusion because it amuses me.

varungs
Community Member

The Guru tag should be re-evaluated at certain time intervals. I've seen so-called "Gurus" that abandon Upwork and the forum for months on end. Preposterous behaviour.

reinierb
Community Member

Varun G wrote:

The Guru tag should be re-evaluated at certain time intervals. I've seen so-called "Gurus" that abandon Upwork and the forum for months on end. Preposterous behaviour.

So you want us to be shamed publicly a number of times per week/month, or we lose our status as gurus? Preposterous! 

Varun G wrote:

I imagine this was tongue-in-cheek as you are also a so-called "Guru"? 

IMO - all tags should be jettisoned. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths