Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Community Guru Shaming

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
1 of 53

Has anyone besides me wondered why some people fixate on the community titles when they are irritated about what we post?  

 

It's always some variation of "I would expect more from a community guru!"

 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 53

Mark:
You pose an interesting question.

 

I really don't think much of it. The people who say something like this typically don't know that the titles are attached to our names automatically, based purely on the number of posts we have posted in the Forum.

 

Such a comment is not really logical. It's personal and emotional. It's like saying "I would expect something more from someone with a moustache."

 

I don't find it to be an interesting or substantive comment.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
3 of 53

Preston H wrote:

Mark:
You pose an interesting question.

 

I really don't think much of it. The people who say something like this typically don't know that the titles are attached to our names automatically, based purely on the number of posts we have posted in the Forum.

 

Such a comment is not really logical. It's personal and emotional. It's like saying "I would expect something more from someone with a moustache."

 

I don't find it to be an interesting or substantive comment.


The first time I noticed it used in that derogatory fashion, the very next day someone else used it that way and I my immediate thought it was two accounts.  It just seemed such an odd expression.  It is probably just that thing where once you notice something you can't stop noticing it (which google tells me is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baader%E2%80%93Meinhof_effect).

 

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 53

I have a bit of a Nihilist outlook on life, but I generally think the people who rant about gurus would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place. Maybe that's why I LOL so much when I read their rants. They're on reddit too but on reddit I get to play with them.

 

It's like Jay Z says, with the same sword they knight you

they gon good night you with

 

 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 53

re: "would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place."

 

They want to take our place as forum addicts?

 

Be careful what you wish for.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
6 of 53

Preston H wrote:

re: "would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place."

 

They want to take our place as forum addicts?

 

Be careful what you wish for.


Don't ask me why people want to be Upwork forum famous, but they do. They even want to be moderators on their first post.

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
7 of 53

Jennifer M wrote:

I have a bit of a Nihilist outlook on life, but I generally think the people who rant about gurus would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place. Maybe that's why I LOL so much when I read their rants. 

It's such a tough club to get into...just post a lot.  Try to be helpful maybe a bit.

They're on reddit too but on reddit I get to play with them.

I haven't read anything on there yet that I was like, that's J but I want to figure it out.  I don't even look at usernames because that is cheating.  I think it will be hard to figure out because you are almost certainly more unrestrained.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 53

Mark F wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

I have a bit of a Nihilist outlook on life, but I generally think the people who rant about gurus would stab us in the back figuratively and literally if it meant they could take our place. Maybe that's why I LOL so much when I read their rants. 

It's such a tough club to get into...just post a lot.  Try to be helpful maybe a bit.

They're on reddit too but on reddit I get to play with them.

I haven't read anything on there yet that I was like, that's J but I want to figure it out.  I don't even look at usernames because that is cheating.  I think it will be hard to figure out because you are almost certainly more unrestrained.


She is easy to identify because she calls everybody sweaty just like in the forum. (Gotcha, girl!)

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
9 of 53


She is easy to identify because she calls everybody sweaty just like in the forum. (Gotcha, girl!)


No, now I can't not look, it is like knowing a cheat code for a video game.

Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
10 of 53

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here. I think their forum naming convention is not particularly intuitive.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS