Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Guru Shaming

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
11 of 53

Kelly B wrote:

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here. I think their forum naming convention is not particularly intuitive.

That's what I wonder to.  I have definitely seen some people go after people because they thought they were being treated rude by an employee.  There is also plenty of consiperacy theories that many of them are and are just posing as FL's.  I think people who think like that are what Jennifer M calls "sweaties"...but I am not positive.

Community Guru
Sergio S Member Since: Dec 19, 2017
12 of 53

Kelly B wrote:

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here.

Well, I was indeed going to mention that there are a great number of people who believe we are Upwork representatives.

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
13 of 53

Kelly B wrote:

Speaking for myself, when I first logged on I thought Community Gurus were Upwork representatives. I hope I'm not the only naive person here. I think their forum naming convention is not particularly intuitive.

Same here. Picture my sheer delight when I realized that frequent posting assigns fancy titles!

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 53

Kelly B wrote:

Some of us pray nightly for the utter abolition of the forum "ranks." We've given up on asking Upwork to do that very sensible thing.

Ace Contributor
Sheila F Member Since: Apr 6, 2017
15 of 53

Martina P wrote:

She is easy to identify because she calls everybody sweaty just like in the forum. (Gotcha, girl!)

About "sweaty".

Is that a typo of "sweetie"? First time I saw "sweaty" I took it to be a prejorative,

then wondered why it wasn't "Edited for Community Guidelines".

Community Leader
Ivan L Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
16 of 53
Such a comment is not really logical. It's personal and emotional. It's like saying "I would expect something more from someone with a moustache."

It's only illogical once you understand that the title is automatically assigned by a simple software algorithm. I don't think a lot of folks know that though.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
17 of 53

My purely subjective, anecdotal take on it is people who fly off the handle at evil gurus consistently exhibit one or more of the following:

- They are not hearing what they want to hear (which is usually endorsement of their complaint and sympathy at their plight).

- They perceive everything negative as something that happens to them, rather than a result of choices they have made.

- They tend to have an "us v. them" mentality in general, displayed most often in rants about the evils of UW which spills over onto anybody who doesn't jump on their rant-wagon or, even worse, disagrees or challenges their reasoning.

- They are not interested in learning how others have addressed whatever problem they are experiencing, they just want to rant about it.

- They take everything personally, experiencing constructive criticism and/or disagreement with their stated position as personal attacks.

- They reduce every discussion to an ad hominem argument.

- They are unnecessarily belligerent, even in the face of calm and empathetic responses.

- They can be entertaining as all get-out.

Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
18 of 53

Phyllis G wrote:

My purely subjective, anecdotal take on it is people who fly off the handle at evil gurus consistently exhibit one or more of the following:

- They are not hearing what they want to hear (which is usually endorsement of their complaint and sympathy at their plight).

- They perceive everything negative as something that happens to them, rather than a result of choices they have made.

- They tend to have an "us v. them" mentality in general, displayed most often in rants about the evils of UW which spills over onto anybody who doesn't jump on their rant-wagon or, even worse, disagrees or challenges their reasoning.

- They are not interested in learning how others have addressed whatever problem they are experiencing, they just want to rant about it.

- They take everything personally, experiencing constructive criticism and/or disagreement with their stated position as personal attacks.

- They reduce every discussion to an ad hominem argument.

- They are unnecessarily belligerent, even in the face of calm and empathetic responses.

- They can be entertaining as all get-out.

That last point Phyllis...is why I come to the forums lol.

Community Leader
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
19 of 53

Oh crap. I just became a "Community Leader." Let me make it clear now. I know nothing. Smiley Very Happy

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
20 of 53

Amanda L wrote:

Oh crap. I just became a "Community Leader." Let me make it clear now. I know nothing. Smiley Very Happy

Actually the reason I even knew I had changed to Community Leader is that someone called me out saying I would expect more from a "community leader".

Just a title man, I didn't ask for it or even want it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS