🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Community Leader (Part 2!)
Page options
alphazomgy
Community Member

Community Leader (Part 2!)

Since this is becoming a thing, I'd like to announce that I'm Upwork's newest Community Leader.

 

It's my time to shine now.

 

My first decree is freelancers shall be allowed to message other freelancer using the actual Upwork platform, without having to use their client accounts.

 

My second decree is connects shall be refunded to freelancers who applied to a job posting where a client invites and hires a freelancer whom they've previously hired within the past 3 months. 

 

My third decree is the establishment of the annual "Million Upworker March", which shall take place every July 4th infront of Upwork's headquarters in California. 

 

Now go, go into the world and spread this gospel. 

30 REPLIES 30
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Congrats on your achievement! Life as you knew it will never be the same. 

OP, really now?  Eons ago there was used car dealer in LA who used a similar gimmick ... to 'auction' off kids up for adoption.  

 

"If I don’t respond to your invite within 24 hours, I promise to send you $100 through mail, Cash App, PayPal, or whatever service you prefer."

 

Yes, those words are on his profile ...

I can't believe you read all the way to the bottom!


Mark F wrote:

I can't believe you read all the way to the bottom!


Well, so did I now! And now I know he climbs without a harness. So do I, btw, daily, my stairs. How's your Bollywood career coming along?

Lots of LOLing at your comment, Mark.  Good snark.  🙂 

 

P.S. Speed reading can save your sanity -


Martina P wrote:

Mark F wrote:

I can't believe you read all the way to the bottom!


Well, so did I now! And now I know he climbs without a harness. So do I, btw, daily, my stairs. How's your Bollywood career coming along?


I didn't until I saw Wendy's post. I got bored early and then thought, "Should that really happen with a copywriter's profile? That can't be a good sign."

Sue me, lmao. 

Slowly

Lol that's hillarious. Yes I realize the $100 thing may seem gimmicky.

 

I'm testing the idea out. And yeah my profile is really long, also testing that length.

 

Perhaps, as far as copywriters are concerned, letting your portfolio (results) and Upwork feedback (social proof) do most of the talking is better?

 

I appreciate your observations Wendy. 

Alexander, I like that you are testing.  Testing is good, although hard in this case to determine results.  If you end up getting hired more is it because of that.  It is way below "the fold" as they used to say and how can you be even sure someone sees it.

 

I think everyone's experience here is different but the question I would ask myself is...

Would I even want a client who wants that $100.00?

I think most clients realize they will never get that $100 anyway. I'm pretty sure everyone thinks it's somewhat humorous. 

 

But yes you're right, the type of clients I'm going for probably wouldn't be enticed by a mere $100. 

 

Perhaps I should up the antee to $1000?

 

I'd really be making a statement then! 


Alexander B wrote:

 I'm pretty sure everyone thinks it's somewhat humorous. 


Nope. It sounds somewhere between "cheap gimmick" and "desperate" with a touch of "used car salesman in Texas" thrown in for free - It also directly contradicts the "I don't respond to template invites" thing.

 

Its only saving grace is that hardly anyone reads that far.

Well I took out because someone reported me, and apparently offering to PAY clients outside of Upwork is a violation of the ToS! 


Alexander B wrote:

Well I took out because someone reported me, and apparently offering to PAY clients outside of Upwork is a violation of the ToS! 


Aw, I missed out on the hilarious part.

 

 

"Certa bonum certamen"

MURGA

Make Upwork Really Great Again
colettelewis
Community Member


Alexander B wrote:

Since this is becoming a thing, I'd like to announce that I'm Upwork's newest Community Leader.

 

It's my time to shine now.

 

My first decree is freelancers shall be allowed to message other freelancer using the actual Upwork platform, without having to use their client accounts.

 

My second decree is connects shall be refunded to freelancers who applied to a job posting where a client invites and hires a freelancer whom they've previously hired within the past 3 months. 

 

My third decree is the establishment of the annual "Million Upworker March", which shall take place every July 4th infront of Upwork's headquarters in California. 

 

Now go, go into the world and spread this gospel. 


________________

Somewheeeeeere over the rainbow ... ROFL Alexander - I wonder if some freelancers do, in fact, pay clients in return for you know what.

 


Nichola L wrote:

Somewheeeeeere over the rainbow ... ROFL Alexander - I wonder if some freelancers do, in fact, pay clients in return for you know what.

 


You know what what Nichola?


Luce N schrieb:

Nichola L 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**


What the freak? This got auto-translated to German, without my consent, what's going on please?

Hi Martina,

 

I sent you a private message so we can discuss the quoted text being translated further.

~ Vladimir
Upwork


Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Martina,

 

I sent you a private message so we can discuss the quoted text being translated further.


Thank you Vladimir, but I didn't receive it.

Hi Martina,

 

I just checked and see my pm in the inbox on your Community page, could you please take a look and in case you still don't see it try refreshing the page and other standard troubleshooting steps?

 

Text.jpg

~ Vladimir
Upwork


Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Martina,

 

I just checked and see my pm in the inbox on your Community page, could you please take a look and in case you still don't see it try refreshing the page and other standard troubleshooting s

Text.jpg


______________________

It's funny that Vladimir - I also sent this freelancer a pm re her profile being attributed to other freelancers on Google (not copied, which I thought at first) and I never received so much as an acknowledgemnent, so I am assuming the German translation to be some kind of hostile gesture. 


Nichola L wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Martina,

 

I just checked and see my pm in the inbox on your Community page, could you please take a look and in case you still don't see it try refreshing the page and other standard troubleshooting s

Text.jpg


______________________

It's funny that Vladimir - I also sent this freelancer a pm re her profile being attributed to other freelancers on Google (not copied, which I thought at first) and I never received so much as an acknowledgemnent, so I am assuming the German translation to be some kind of hostile gesture. 


Are you suggesting that German language can be used as a weapon?


Luce N wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Martina,

 

I just checked and see my pm in the inbox on your Community page, could you please take a look and in case you still don't see it try refreshing the page and other standard troubleshooting s

Text.jpg


______________________

It's funny that Vladimir - I also sent this freelancer a pm re her profile being attributed to other freelancers on Google (not copied, which I thought at first) and I never received so much as an acknowledgemnent, so I am assuming the German translation to be some kind of hostile gesture. 


Are you suggesting that German language can be used as a weapon?


No. Perhaps you should re-read my post. It has nothing to do with the German language per se. 

Hi Nichola,

 

I'm sorry about not acknowledging your post, could you please confirm if that's the one Goran followed-up with you about? I responded and communicated with Martina regarding her report that the quoted text was auto-translated, in order to check where the translation stems from. If you're referring to a different report that you haven't received a response on please let me know.

~ Vladimir
Upwork


Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Nichola,

 

I'm sorry about not acknowledging your post, could you please confirm if that's the one Goran followed-up with you about? I responded and communicated with Martina regarding her report that the quoted text was auto-translated, in order to check where the translation stems from. If you're referring to a different report that you haven't received a response on please let me know.


_____________________

Thanks Vladimir,

But I am not sure why you  are combining two completely different issues. I am referring to my post in this thread  being translated "strangely" into German. Martina may well have a glitch.  She has already told you that she did not receive your pm and she has certainly not responded to my pms to her re profile misdirection. I took this as being deliberate.  There is no reason why she should reply, but at the same time, it was surprising. 

 

The forum rules state that foreign languages are not allowed. I asked for this to be addressed and it hasn't. 

 

So perhaps Upwork could do something about this. I am talking only about this thread. 

 

OT As to our UW profiles on Google (not just mine) being misdirected, I am still awaiting a response from this. I can't believe that this is only down to Google. 

Hi Nichola, Martina and others,

 

I did some testing and I could replicate a case where a quote would be translated. It happens when the language of the browser (Chrome in my case) is not English and the browser is also set to offer to translate a page. The original post as well as the quote is then translated to the language of the browser. Martina, is it possible that's the way your browser is set up? That would explain why the quote of Nichola's post was translated. We'll also monitor in case this happens again.

 

We don't have any known issues with private messages. Martina, could you please check again if the messages show on your end here?

 

Nichola, I believe you and I have communicated about the way profiles show in Google before. I'd looked into it and discussed it with our engineers. They confirmed that Google indexes and maps pages to determine how they are displayed in search.

 

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you Valeria,

 

And of course that lets Upwork out nicely - it is all Google's fault. I have had to set my profie to Upwork users only  so that it is not "used" on Google to highlight other Upwork freelancers (even though those freelancers have not copied my profile).This would not be so bad if eventually the Google-copied profile led to me, but it doesn't. So one more downward notch for Upwork - and don't tell me that Upwork couldn't take this up with Google - it most certainly could. (I am definitely not the only Upwork freelancer concerned).

 

Since we discussed this, Valeria, the problem has become much worse. 

As to the reasons behind the "quote" whatever they are - language other than English is supposedly not allowed on the forums. I must remember to do all my quotes in French as anything goes now. 

 


Martina P wrote:

Luce N schrieb:

Nichola L schrieb:

Irgendwann über dem Regenbogen ... ROFL Alexander - Ich frage mich, ob einige Freiberufler tatsächlich Kunden dafür bezahlen, dass Sie wissen, was.

 


Weißt du was was Nichola?


What the freak? This got auto-translated to German, without my consent, what's going on please?


Could this magic trick have something with our new community leader rules?


Luce N wrote:

Martina P wrote:

Luce N schrieb:

Nichola L schrieb:

Irgendwann über dem Regenbogen ... ROFL Alexander - Ich frage mich, ob einige Freiberufler tatsächlich Kunden dafür bezahlen, dass Sie wissen, was.

 


Weißt du was was Nichola?


What the freak? This got auto-translated to German, without my consent, what's going on please?


Could this magic trick have something with our new community leader rules?


Very likely, I guess the criminal energy needs an outlet after they couldn't overrun area 51...

Latest Articles
Learning Paths