Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Contract cheating just made the New York Times

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
11 of 23

Preston H wrote:

re: "If it's so easy for us to recognize these frauds, why is it so difficult for UW?"

 

Don't underestimate the superiority of human intelligence relative to computers.

 


Yes, but we flag and ticket them for human consideration on UW and nothing happens.  You can see obvious instances of clients continually asking for projects where they've attached their assignment sheets.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
12 of 23

Renata S wrote:

Preston H wrote:

re: "If it's so easy for us to recognize these frauds, why is it so difficult for UW?"

 

Don't underestimate the superiority of human intelligence relative to computers.

 


Yes, but we flag and ticket them for human consideration on UW and nothing happens.  You can see obvious instances of clients continually asking for projects where they've attached their assignment sheets.

_____________________________________


It would seem that human consideration on Upwork condones academic fraud despite the lip service paid to fraud in the ToS which is ambiguous to say the least. It is possible to weed out the fraudsters,the farmers and the essay mills. Unfortunately many of these people are generating doubtful income for this company and so at the risk of rocking the corporate boat - nothing whatsoever is done to stop this. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
13 of 23

Nichola L wrote:

Renata S wrote:

Preston H wrote:

re: "If it's so easy for us to recognize these frauds, why is it so difficult for UW?"

 

Don't underestimate the superiority of human intelligence relative to computers.

 


Yes, but we flag and ticket them for human consideration on UW and nothing happens.  You can see obvious instances of clients continually asking for projects where they've attached their assignment sheets.

_____________________________________


It would seem that human consideration on Upwork condones academic fraud despite the lip service paid to fraud in the ToS which is ambiguous to say the least. It is possible to weed out the fraudsters,the farmers and the essay mills. Unfortunately many of these people are generating doubtful income for this company and so at the risk of rocking the corporate boat - nothing whatsoever is done to stop this. 


I will say that the posts sometimes get shut down, at least temporarily. This normally provies the clients with enough information about what not to say that they can successfully repost their requests moments later with less obvious wording. Clients aren't shut down for posting them and nothing happens to the FLs who take them. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
14 of 23


It would seem that human consideration on Upwork condones academic fraud despite the lip service paid to fraud in the ToS which is ambiguous to say the least. It is possible to weed out the fraudsters,the farmers and the essay mills. Unfortunately many of these people are generating doubtful income for this company and so at the risk of rocking the corporate boat - nothing whatsoever is done to stop this. 


I have recently become more and more vexed at the farmer outsourcing issue that has been going on forever but is getting perpetually worse.

The algorithms favor the farmers whose profiles are showcased or highlighted to new clients both via direct email and in search.

I know the ToS allows for outsourcing in Fixed Price contracts, but I found this clause which might be able to stop them:

1.3 ACCOUNT PROFILE
To register for an Account to join the Site, you must complete a User profile (“Profile”), which you consent to be shown to other Users and, unless you change your privacy settings, to be shown to the public. You agree to provide true, accurate, and complete information on your Profile and all registration and other forms you access on the Site or provide to us and to update your information to maintain its truthfulness, accuracy, and completeness. You agree not to provide any false or misleading information about your identity or location, your business, your skills, or the services your business provides and to correct any such information that is or becomes false or misleading.
 
Surely claiming to have done thousands of hourly jobs without having actually done them yourself is enough evidence to prove that you're a farmer?
 
I've brought this up with the Trust and Safety team, but only using a CS rep as an intermediary and although he is brilliant and perseveres, there's still the second language English barrier in the way.
 
This same team refuse to communicate with me directly.
 
I've got 3 profiles on the platform who have been doing this for many years and are simply allowed to get away with it because they're making so much money.
 
Why is it that they can keep both the clients and the other FLs whom they employ in the dark, at the detriment to others who stick to the rules?
 
I've even traced one of these farmers who at one stage worked for another farmer and then clicked, hey, why don't I also do this, it's so easy, I can make all the money without actually doing any of the work?
 
How is it that they're amazing polyglots who can speak and translate 13 languages somehow, but continue to post jobs looking for other freelancers who speak those same languages?
 
Why are these farmers not forced to become agencies?
 
Is it because the clients wouldn't hire them and want to work with FLs directly?
 
Is it not the client's right to know their work is being outsourced and they're effectively working through several middle men?
 
I wish this problem was restricted to only India/Pakistan/Bangladesh/Philipphines, but unfortunately it's not, as I have evidence of FL's hiding behind their fake profiles.
 
Any suggestions on how we as a community can collectively complain and find a solution to these farmers?
 
Evidence is pretty hard to obtain as most of it is hidden behind PTCs (private talent clouds).
 
Any negative feedback due to poor work is simply removed by the farmer as they have that privilege due to their extensive history and earnings.
 
I'm not looking for Kudos here, I want to here from others who have done anything more than simply flagging a farmers profile or post.
 
Perhaps the newbies can be informed about their actual worth and to avoid working for farmers.
 
How this can be done without bringing the platform into disrepute is a difficult one to navigate.
 
Naming and shaming isn't allowed.
 
I cannot mention anything about the posts or profiles of these farmers.
 
Upwork will not take the matter further.
 
I feel as hopeless as telling the COVIDIOTS to stay the f. home and wear a mask when they're out to protect others - it's like wasting your breath and getting annoyed without any chance of fixing anything!
 
Deep sigh after getting that off my chest, now back to my feed to find/flag job postings...
Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
15 of 23
This seems like an awful waste of time.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
David M Member Since: Jul 12, 2015
16 of 23

Mark F wrote:
This seems like an awful waste of time.

I agree, it is a waste of time especially if it doesn't affect one personally.

 

I'm hoping to see some responses from those who it does affect and any feedback towards a solution going forward.

 

In other words I don't simply want to ignore the issue as it's not going to go away, it's only getting worse...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
17 of 23

David M wrote:

Mark F wrote:
This seems like an awful waste of time.

I agree, it is a waste of time especially if it doesn't affect one personally.

 

I'm hoping to see some responses from those who it does affect and any feedback towards a solution going forward.

 

In other words I don't simply want to ignore the issue as it's not going to go away, it's only getting worse...


Sounds like an interesting hobby.

 

I don't see how it affects you.  I can see how you might think it does but my guess is that anyone willing to hire them wouldn't hire you and, most likely, you wouldn't want to work with someone who would hire them.  It is easy to imagine you are losing clients but are they really clients if they never would work with you in the first place.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
18 of 23

David M wrote:


How is it that they're amazing polyglots who can speak and translate 13 languages somehow, but continue to post jobs looking for other freelancers who speak those same languages?
13 languages is nothing, try 31.
Deep sigh after getting that off my chest, now back to my feed to find/flag job postings...
Don't waste your time on that.
The clients get what they pay for.

 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cat L Member Since: Dec 13, 2019
19 of 23

I need to understand the issue further. What is a "farmer" and a "Private Talent Cloud"?

 

TY.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
20 of 23

Preston H wrote:

re: "If it's so easy for us to recognize these frauds, why is it so difficult for UW?"

 

Don't underestimate the superiority of human intelligence relative to computers.

 

Ultimately, the only thing inside a computer is zeros and ones.

What you may think is easy can be quite difficult to do using only zeroes and ones.


Ultimately, the only thing inside a brain is protons, neutrons and electrons. What you may think is easy can be quite difficult to do using only protons, neutrons and electrons. It's a good thing that natural selection is smarter than Upwork.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS