Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Huge Impact Of Corona Virus on Mankind

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
801 of 842

Well...the C-wrap has truly hit the fan in good olde RSA. Economy shattered - and the virus causing havoc with hospitals not having the capacity to deal with everything. And this is the truth, not the propaganda.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
802 of 842

Hi Irene, take good care of yourself and stay safe!

Spain has more than 100 active regrowths now.
Some areas have returned to phase 2.
People are behaving really stupid here (domestic and foreign)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
803 of 842

Maria T wrote:

It is such a SHAME when all the hard work and sacrifice goes to waste.

It's happening in many places. I'm still limiting contact to trusted delivery drivers and avoid any supermarkets and so on. 

The gated community where I live consists to 80% of holiday homes, which are empty most of the year (making it very peaceful from September to May) and usually it's a circus by mid July, but I noticed that around half are still empty, so people aren't even visiting their own (second) properties.

With the darned thing still exploding in the Americas, it will unfortunately be a very long time before we get anywhere near anything approaching the new normal.

Happy to see New Zealand has is contained. I looked at them with admiration from the start.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
804 of 842

It's increasing dramatically in my county - not just new cases, but also deaths.  We are now required to wear masks pretty much everywhere and all the time.  The bars in New Orleans have walked back and now only have pick-up and curbside delivery.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
805 of 842

I wish they would make masks in supermarkets (at least) mandatory here in France. Most women wear them - but I have noticed a sort of macho refusal among men from the age of about 50 upwards. Sorry guys, that is not meant to be sexist - just what I have observed. 

The very young of either sex don't care. They think they are immune and that they are the only ones that count. But it is becoming increasingly obvious that the younger generation are being affected and are dying, not at the same rate as older people, but it is increasing.  

Highlighted
Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
806 of 842

Petra R wrote:

Happy to see New Zealand has is contained. I looked at them with admiration from the start.

We are indeed very lucky, but in all fairness, it's been a lot easier for us to contain it than for the rest of the world. That said, we are now facing the problem of people escaping from isolation facilities to go shopping.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
807 of 842

So much for the nonsense concept of "herd immunity"

I copped a lot of heat from the start for saying the idea is deeply flawed and likely won't work, and even if it could theoretically work (it turns out it can't), trying to achieve it would cost millions of lives.

Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
808 of 842

Maria T wrote:

Hi Irene, take good care of yourself and stay safe!

I'll put my two cents in it.

The growth is totally fine as long as medical system can cope with it. If hospitals are overflowed with those who ill of pneumonia, that's really bad. If hospitals are alright, then nothing to worry about.

The virus cannot be stopped. The creation of vaccine is vague. I've been hearing news for many months: we're close, here it will come soon, yes, yes, just wait a little bit, so many candidates already, blabla. Vaccine is not coming.

There is actually a way to stop the virus: everybody stays locked down for two weeks (or better a month). But that's obviously not possible.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
809 of 842

Aleksandr S wrote:

There is actually a way to stop the virus: everybody stays locked down for two weeks (or better a month).

Been there, done that for 1.5 months, failed to meet the goal. Seeing how none of the predictions really amounted to anything tangible, hoping that the virus makes a stage exit in the same way it came on the international stage, fast and furious and leaving everyone speechless. Then we can all go back to discussing Upwork's color scheme choice and again perceive Petra's choice of home abroad as perfect.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
810 of 842

Vladimir G wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

There is actually a way to stop the virus: everybody stays locked down for two weeks (or better a month).

Been there, done that for 1.5 months, failed to meet the goal. Seeing how none of the predictions really amounted to anything tangible, hoping that the virus makes a stage exit in the same way it came on the international stage, fast and furious and leaving everyone speechless. Then we can all go back to discussing Upwork's color scheme choice and again perceive Petra's choice of home abroad as perfect.

I did it for three months and am still cautious. Vlad, it will pass. It's not a flu virus, I know, but Spanish flu, which was truly catastrophic did eventually take a back seat. The plague that decimated Europe in the 14th century still left enough people to  create the world as we know it. We just need to be sensible and get through it.

If we can't jump on a plane or go to discos for the moment - so be it. But you will be OK. Things are going to get more difficult before they get better, but it will get better. 

There are positive things about this fléau - we have cleaner air, if only temporarily, but it should make us stop and think. 

Colour scheme: green ( I remember snarling about this at the merger. I have changed my mind!). 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS