Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Huge Impact Of Corona Virus on Mankind

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandr S Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
811 of 842

Vladimir G wrote:

Aleksandr S wrote:

There is actually a way to stop the virus: everybody stays locked down for two weeks (or better a month).


Been there, done that for 1.5 months, failed to meet the goal. Seeing how none of the predictions really amounted to anything tangible, hoping that the virus makes a stage exit in the same way it came on the international stage, fast and furious and leaving everyone speechless. Then we can all go back to discussing Upwork's color scheme choice and again perceive Petra's choice of home abroad as perfect.


As far as I could see it in my city, the lockdown was fake. Lots of people walking, going about their business, children playing with other children, queues on bus stops, crowds in churches and in metro, not keeping distance in shops. The criteria were not met. Can't say the same for other countries and cities though.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
812 of 842

Aleksandr S wrote:


As far as I could see it in my city, the lockdown was fake. Lots of people walking, going about their business, children playing with other children, queues on bus stops, crowds in churches and in metro, not keeping distance in shops. The criteria were not met. Can't say the same for other countries and cities though.


It was very widely observed here in Italy (I think the overall death and carnage of the early days really hit home hard.)

 

Restrictions have largely been lifted but numbers are staying low in Italy simply because people learned to socially distance responsibly. I've been worried with the rise in Spain and worry about the usual August madness here in Italy making people act irresponsibly. Germany is worried too because cases are creeping up. 

 

To be honest, I am still shielding. I go to the beach before dawn so the dog can run. I have not been in a shop of any kind since... February I believe. Let alone a bus etc.

 

This will not go away until there is a vaccine and a treatment.  We might as well get used to a "new normal"

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
813 of 842

Petra R wrote:


It was very widely observed here in Italy (I think the overall death and carnage of the early days really hit home hard.)

 

Restrictions have largely been lifted but numbers are staying low in Italy simply because people learned to socially distance responsibly. I've been worried with the rise in Spain and worry about the usual August madness here in Italy making people act irresponsibly. Germany is worried too because cases are creeping up. 

 

To be honest, I am still shielding. I go to the beach before dawn so the dog can run. I have not been in a shop of any kind since... February I believe. Let alone a bus etc.

 

This will not go away until there is a vaccine and a treatment.  We might as well get used to a "new normal"

 


I think, for now, it is the best thing to do, if you can do it, of course.
We are also maintaining a "confinement" as much as possible.
We have no choice but to take buses to go shopping, but very few people move in them and we are all very aware to be careful. Actually, we are all like family.
Spain, I am afraid, will end with a new confinement. Things are going wrong, and August has not started Smiley Frustrated

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
814 of 842

Maria T wrote:


We have no choice but to take buses to go shopping, but very few people move in them and we are all very aware to be careful. 

I am now 100% shopping online, while still supporting family owned businesses Smiley Happy

 

Trying to buy as much from those as possible, the rest comes from Amazon.

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
815 of 842

We have been in lockdown since March this year. You are not allowed outside your home without a mask. Govt. has clamped down on just about most freedoms. Luckily, my daughter could go back to work a month ago...She (actually I as my name is on the registration documents) owns a one-man business. She is still trying to catch up on the rental payments that she could not make due to not being able to work.

 

But this lockdown has impacted my family tremendously. My husband cannot work. He is only cleared for work at post level one of lockdown. This means no work, no pay. And as he runs his own business...well... it's getting lame talking to the bank about home payments and such. AND his job sees him flying to Botswana, Namibia, and Mozambique. So... ha! He CAN go, but for one day's work, for example, he has to come back and go into 14 days' quarantine. And this is if he is there for one day only (usually about 2-5 days). So, in effect, they say he can work 2 days per month. How the heck do you run a business that sees you having to go to meetings (can't do it via the internet because his work entails him having to physically BE at a place, do the needed inspections, and make the necessary recommendations and such)... and dealing with people all over the globe at the same time. And if he has to work here, he can't do it outside the province without permission. But if he DOES get permission, he has to be home the same day because he can't stay over because it has to be at a PERMITTED hotel or such and not a B&B as he usually does - because most hotels and all B&B's are still closed. Of course, the PERMITTED accommodation is hellishly expensive. 

 

Catch-22, no?

 

And he can't get a local job because of our country's 26 years' BEE restrictions. 

 

At present, my income is what puts food on the table, pays our electricity, water, rates and taxes, and of course, internet and such. It is a S^&&tshow. 

 

And then something was just published about limiting freedom of speech (internet and otherwise) with hefty fines or possible jail time involved. 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
816 of 842

Irene B wrote:

We have been in lockdown since March this year. You are not allowed outside your home without a mask. Govt. has clamped down on just about most freedoms. Luckily, my daughter could go back to work a month ago...She (actually I as my name is on the registration documents) owns a one-man business. She is still trying to catch up on the rental payments that she could not make due to not being able to work.

 

But this lockdown has impacted my family tremendously. My husband cannot work. He is only cleared for work at post level one of lockdown. This means no work, no pay. And as he runs his own business...well... it's getting lame talking to the bank about home payments and such. AND his job sees him flying to Botswana, Namibia, and Mozambique. So... ha! He CAN go, but for one day's work, for example, he has to come back and go into 14 days' quarantine. And this is if he is there for one day only (usually about 2-5 days). So, in effect, they say he can work 2 days per month. How the heck do you run a business that sees you having to go to meetings (can't do it via the internet because his work entails him having to physically BE at a place, do the needed inspections, and make the necessary recommendations and such)... and dealing with people all over the globe at the same time. And if he has to work here, he can't do it outside the province without permission. But if he DOES get permission, he has to be home the same day because he can't stay over because it has to be at a PERMITTED hotel or such and not a B&B as he usually does - because most hotels and all B&B's are still closed. Of course, the PERMITTED accommodation is hellishly expensive. 

 

Catch-22, no?

 

And he can't get a local job because of our country's 26 years' BEE restrictions. 

 

At present, my income is what puts food on the table, pays our electricity, water, rates and taxes, and of course, internet and such. It is a S^&&tshow. 

 

And then something was just published about limiting freedom of speech (internet and otherwise) with hefty fines or possible jail time involved. 

 

 

 

 


Irene, I am very sorry for what you are going through. You, your family and the country.
I hope that, inside the bad, all of you are well (including the hens)
At least, is work coming to you?
Take care!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
817 of 842

Yes, I fortunately have some long-term clients that are keeping me slightly afloat for the most part. Thanks for asking. I appreciate it.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
818 of 842

Irene, your story should make more than few of the whiners and grousers start appreciate what they have.  Beautiful as South Africa is ... that is untenable.

 

Maria, it beaks my heart to have to agree with you; at the current rate Spain is headed into a serious 2nd wave. Yes, tourism is crucial to the economy ... but the govt. need to stop visitors from coming.  Especially anywhere along the  . For some reason common sense flees when confronted with sun and surf.  Take care, my friend.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
819 of 842

¡Gracias Wendy!
The numbers are increasing rapidly.
The central government and that of the autonomies may not be doing very well, but, in the end, those responsible are the people.
Each of us must do it well, and it is not being done.
Take care of yourself too.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
820 of 842

Things are on the increase here, too.  We are heavily a tourist economy and the casinos, restaurants, bars and beaches are open, although with restrictions.  The locals seem to be behaving pretty well except for the very vocal minority who believe that the whole thing is a scam.  You cannot go into a store, office or anywhere indoors without a mask and people are being escorted out because of this.  I actually went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago and the precautions were very complete.

 

I'm not so concerned about the increases in numbers of cases as testing is ongoing daily in my town.  I am, however, terribly concerned about the increase of deaths.  And then you hear that everyone with Covid who dies is being counted, even if they had a mild case and died of cancer or something else. So who knows what's really going on?

 

School is open here.  You either go virtually or in person, no splitting it up.  All kids are wearing masks and after one week open, 200 kids are in quarantine already because of a teacher.  You can't play with other kids at recess, you can't sit with anyone on the bus, physical education classes are calisthentics - no balls or other equipment.  No sitting with your friends at lunch.  Sounds dreadful,  frankly.

 

Dear Lord, please let this be over.  Sooner rather than later.  I think we've learned our lesson.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS