Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
381 of 583

Christine A wrote:

Wow. Virus, earthquakes, power outages - maybe watch out for that asteroid that's about to hit you?

It's snowing here, too (though not unusual for this time of year). If I lose access to coffee and the Internet, I don't what I'll do!

I've been perfectly zen about the whole thing so far, but I have to admit it was dark, it was cold, I had no coffee, I couldn't vape, it was incredibly unpleasant. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
382 of 583

And....things are happening in good old SA as well. Reported cases 907 (the numbers are much higher but our gov not going to admit that yet BECAUSE... country will be in lockdown as from 12 pm tonight. Police services and the army deployed across the country... People can't withdraw money anywhere in my area. All machines empty. Food sold out in stores - although they say they WILL restock. You will only be allowed to go to buy groceries or need urgent medical attention. Other than that..nada. On the down side...I have a male puppy in the house and a female that is not 'fixed' yet (various reasons, long story). Puppy is too young to be fixed yet...but dreading if and when the female goes on heat and what the little lighter might end up trying. Last thing I want or need is puppies. At least I have some anti-sexy spray for the female. Oh...and @Petra - the chicken named after you is the prettiest - white with grey flecks. Will post photo when able.

Highlighted
Community Guru
383 of 583

Irene B wrote:

And....things are happening in good old SA as well. Reported cases 907 (the numbers are much higher but our gov not going to admit that yet BECAUSE... country will be in lockdown as from 12 pm tonight. Police services and the army deployed across the country... People can't withdraw money anywhere in my area. All machines empty. 

Ironically, I have not (had a chance to) used used cash since early January...

Irene B wrote:

Oh...and @Petra - the chicken named after you is the prettiest - white with grey flecks. Will post photo when able.

I can't wait. Please don't let the fox get her or anything.... I'd hate to see a post "Sadly Petra was killed last night!"

New Italy numbers are out, more new cases than yesterday but significately less new deaths:  6153 new cases and 662 new deaths. I read a paper which showed that cold weather is traditionally followed with a rise in new cases, and it has been terribly cold here.

USA, Spain and Germany all have more new cases than Italy...

Back to Shopping: My quest to not have to go near a shop continues. My vitamins still come from the tangerine tree. They are perfect now but will start being over-ripe in a couple of weeks or less. The online supermarket I was using no longer offers delivery slots for my area (rural and South) but I found family businesses which still do. My meat and vegetable needs are covered.

I'll get a delivery from this shop (scroll around the pic for random Italian person sitting in the sun lol, you can also go into the shop and look around!) which has been in the same family for generations next week.

I get to eat lovely handmade food, a family business gets to keep going. 

Win-Win

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
384 of 583

"My vitamins still come from the tangerine tree. They are perfect now but will start being over-ripe in a couple of weeks or less"

Petra ... do you have sugar? Google "tangerine marmalade" ... this one is from Martha Stewart.

Tangerine Marmalade.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
385 of 583

The gyms closed here until April 6. I'm so pissed right now. 3 months of gains. Probably 3lbs of muscle gained. I'm going to rage so friggin hard if I have to reset and start over. My gains were amazing. I refuse to turn into the standard house frau that plague everywhere letting themselves go.

SO angry rn.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
386 of 583

Jennifer M wrote:

The gyms closed here until April 6. I'm so pissed right now. 3 months of gains. Probably 3lbs of muscle gained. I'm going to rage so friggin hard if I have to reset and start over. My gains were amazing. I refuse to turn into the standard house frau that plague everywhere letting themselves go.

SO angry rn.

Gyms closed two weeks ago here...and no fitness equipment to be found at Target or online.... There are tons of great apps etc, but I feel your pain, so much...it's full on withdrawal. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
387 of 583

Irene B wrote:

And....things are happening in good old SA as well. Reported cases 907 (the numbers are much higher but our gov not going to admit that yet BECAUSE... country will be in lockdown as from 12 pm tonight. Police services and the army deployed across the country... People can't withdraw money anywhere in my area. All machines empty. Food sold out in stores - although they say they WILL restock. You will only be allowed to go to buy groceries or need urgent medical attention. Other than that..nada. On the down side...I have a male puppy in the house and a female that is not 'fixed' yet (various reasons, long story). Puppy is too young to be fixed yet...but dreading if and when the female goes on heat and what the little lighter might end up trying. Last thing I want or need is puppies. At least I have some anti-sexy spray for the female. Oh...and @Petra - the chicken named after you is the prettiest - white with grey flecks. Will post photo when able.

==============

Out in the sticks where I live the shops are still fully stocked, and all ATM's still have money in them.

However, we can only shop between 4AM and 9AM in the morning, and again from 4PM to 8PM in the afternoon/evening, and then you have to wait your turn if 50 people are in the shop already. Walking the dog outside of your own yard is prohibited, as is buying alcohol and tobacco products for the duration of the lockdown. The sale of all vaping products is banned, and you need a police-issued permit to travel even if you are classified as "emergency personnel".

I just hope all of this (and much else, besides) is enough to slow the rate of infctions, but given the fact that hundreds of thouands of people have fled to their traditional homesteads, I don't have much hope that we won't experience a cataclysmic infection rate. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
388 of 583

Today's charts...  Italy is no longer leading in terms of number of cases.

When I said at the start of this thread that people need to watch the Italian curve because that is where other countries are heading, people didn't believe me. Yet, here we are.

cases 27 March.pngdeaths 27 March.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
389 of 583

And let's just take a look at what happens when a country tests aggressively, isolates confirmed cases and their contacts decisively, and still keeps things (the economy) going reasonably smoothly (in comparison)

I added in South Korea, who crossed the "75+ confirmed cases - day one" line a day before Italy

with South Korea.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer R Member Since: Sep 15, 2017
390 of 583

I received a call from my my GP on Wednesday. Apparently he had no appointments on Wednesday afternoon and used it to reach out to some patients that need to come in for regular check-ups. I then had to go to the hospital for some bloodtest. The doctors are not allowed to do them at them moment but have to send everybody to the hospital. They only asked if I had been to a risk region before letting me in. Noone used protective equipment after I said I did not leave Norway. Anyway, my test (No CV test!) were fine and my GP call the next morning to tell me I'll be on sickleave two days just to make sure I did not catch something while at the hospital.

He told me that the low numbers in Norway are due to the lack of testing. The only people being tested are people working in healthcare or those that are about to be hospitalized. My GP only allows people with an appointment to come into his practice because he has several patience his is sure are infected but so far all tests he had requested had been denied. He has special hours for these patience now.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS