Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
51 of 842

Julie J wrote:

Yep I'm over here near Seattle, the mayor declared a state of emergancy for the city.  I'm being super careful and brought my 89 year old mom to my house since she lives close to where the outbreak was in the nursing home. 

I'm being very strict about hand washing before you enter the house and hand sanitizer when you are out and about.

You've got hand sanitiser? You're lucky. It's impossible to buy it here. People here are buying vodka instead. I think they're planning to use it on their hands, but I think it would be better taken internally.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Julie J Member Since: Jan 28, 2019
52 of 842

Richard W wrote:

You've got hand sanitiser? You're lucky. It's impossible to buy it here. People here are buying vodka instead. I think they're planning to use it on their hands, but I think it would be better taken internally.

I only had a small travel size bottle so I bought 3 8oz size bottles from Amazon at a ridiculous price of about $20 each. Felt stupid doing it but now don't feel too stupid when you can't even get it at any price. I needed one for every member of my household's car and one for my Mom who has none. Locals tell me when they inquired about when the store might have some in stock, they were told all shippments are being diverted to medical facilities.

Ask friends in other places to buy some and ship it to you. I also bought ingredients to make my own if I have to.

Apparently vodka doesn't work as it's 40% alcohol, has to be 60%. Everclear will work if your area sells it.

Saving vodka to drink as well.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
53 of 842

Everclear could come in handy in several scenarios - LOL.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
54 of 842

I used to know a lovely poem which I cannot find on Google but the important part was "wipe your rump on any old stump"... Just saying

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
55 of 842

Mary W wrote:

I used to know a lovely poem which I cannot find on Google but the important part was "wipe your rump on any old stump"... Just saying

Smiley Very Happy There's a similar one about Moses when he was a little boy and paper not invented, but I won't write it here as it would get zapped ...  

Highlighted
Aaron C Member Since: Nov 20, 2016
56 of 842

Over the last few weeks, I have experienced challenges in communicating with some clients. Given the global situation, I expect this could be a continuing trend, one which may have a negative impact on how our freelancer success scores are calculated. This could be due to a rising number of open projects which become inactive or those which are closed without a review due to non-communication. 

Is anyone else wondering about this? Has Upwork considered temporarily lowering its succes score weighting for closed projects without a review or current projects that have become inactive? Otherwise, success scores could drop platform wide, ultimately having an adverse effect on Upwork's reputation as a whole.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
57 of 842

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Projects closed without feedback have no affect on the JSS at all if money was paid and frankly using the Coronavirus outbreak to manipulate JSS is a bit pathetic!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
58 of 842

Aaron:

I appreciate the fact that coronavirus is much in the news, and many organizations are reacting to it.

I can assure you that Upwork will not be changing its site functionality or JSS score agorithms based on this.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
60 of 842

The original poster's JSS is currently 100%.

I'm not sure what he is worried about.

In all seriousness... It IS reasonable for some companies and industries to make changes due to coronavirus. Examples: cruise ships; concert promoters in areas affected by the disease; medical supply companies.

On the other hand, there are companies which don't need to change their core processes due to something like this. Example: a company which is literally based - from the ground up - on people NOT coming into physical contact with each other.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
60 of 842

Hi Aaron,

I'm not aware of any plans to make further changes to JSS calculation. I'd also like to note that contracts with no client feedback, including ones you ended or left open and inactive, do not affect your score unless you have excessive contracts with no feedback.

I would like to note though that Upwork will be cancelling all in-person events in March and you can find more information about it here.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS