Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
61 of 583

Oddly*, Germany with its over 1100 confirmed cases, has 0 fatalities and very few (compared to Italy, especially) serious/ critical cases to date.

 

I expect a sharp increase of new cases in Italy after that ridiculous mass "escape" south after the news of the exclusion zone was leaked...

 

eta: * I say "oddly" - because whilst Germany has what's amongst the best health systems in the world, I am not sure that completely explains it.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
62 of 583

I suspect that the reports from various countries are quite different from one another.  Some may be contemporaneous, some a day behind, some a bit untruthful.  I don't pay much attention to any of it except to track my part of the world (which at this moment is virus free - YAY!)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
63 of 583

Mary W wrote:

I suspect that the reports from various countries are quite different from one another.  Some may be contemporaneous, some a day behind, some a bit untruthful.  I


This uses the official reports and appears accurate, but also lags behind. Germany's figures are updated more than once a day, Italy's only in the evening for the previous day.

 

I expect another sharp increase today, maybe not quite as catastrophic as yesterday's which was nearly 1500 new cases in such a small country.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
64 of 583

It is odd that, apart from being age-related, it does seem to hit certain groups of people more seriously than others.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
65 of 583

Nichola L wrote:

It is odd that, apart from being age-related, it does seem to hit certain groups of people more seriously than others.


YES! Isn't it just!

 

I've been trying to find common denominators between harder and less hard hit countries.

The rapid and massive impact in Italy especially has been interesting. 

 

It's combination of economic, cultural and societal factors.

 

The (so far) complete absence of deaths (spoke too soon. now 2 deaths in Germany Smiley Sad )  still very low number of serious and critical cases in Germany still puzzles me. Maybe something to do with Germans generally not living in family groups and keeping their distance from others naturally (more than the French for example) may be a contributing factor.

 

Edited to add:  1,797 new cases and 97 new deaths in Italy in 24 hours.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
66 of 583

Petra R wrote:

Nichola L wrote:

It is odd that, apart from being age-related, it does seem to hit certain groups of people more seriously than others.


YES! Isn't it just!

 

I've been trying to find common denominators between harder and less hard hit countries.

The rapid and massive impact in Italy especially has been interesting. 

 

It's combination of economic, cultural and societal factors.

 

The (so far) complete absence of deaths (spoke too soon. now 2 deaths in Germany Smiley Sad )  still very low number of serious and critical cases in Germany still puzzles me. Maybe something to do with Germans generally not living in family groups and keeping their distance from others naturally (more than the French for example) may be a contributing factor.

 


Do the German shake hands when they meet? Are they good at washing hands? I can tell you that the Fench I have observed (I'm not one of them) are not too good at washing hands and excellent at kissing each othe when they meet - the bisou habit.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
67 of 583

Luce N wrote:


Do the German shake hands when they meet? Are they good at washing hands? I can tell you that the Fench I have observed (I'm not one of them) are not too good at washing hands and excellent at kissing each othe when they meet - the bisou habit.


The Germans tend to (in most social situations) most either just say hello or shake hands. Not much of the bisu stuff. They also tend to (on average) keep a larger personal space around them. (You know that bubble people like to keep around themselves before instinctively retreating; what's called the "flight initiation distance" in wild animals.)

 

I think most at risk are cultures where generations are living together or are very close and meet constantly. (As is the case in Italy.) The younger, more social and active ones have the greatest chance of getting infected and they then pass it on to the older people, who are then more likely to get very ill or die.

 

I'm sure that's why it is spreading so incredibly rapidly and why there is such a high rate of deaths and seriously ill people here. There are also more old people altogether, Italians have a very high life expectancy.

 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
68 of 583

Petra R wrote:


The Germans tend to (in most social situations) most either just say hello or shake hands. Not much of the bisu stuff. They also tend to (on average) keep a larger personal space around them. (You know that bubble people like to keep around themselves before instinctively retreating; what's called the "flight initiation distance" in wild animals.)


As do Norwegians. It's a natural instinct for us to keep as much of a physical distance to other people as possible. Unless we're drunk. So the only precaution I have to take to stay relatively safe is to stay sober. (I'll still have some wine though. No point surviving if I lose all will to live.)

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
69 of 583

Eve L wrote:

So the only precaution I have to take to stay relatively safe is to stay sober. (I'll still have some wine though. No point surviving if I lose all will to live.)

PERFECT advice! We can have wine together virtually.

Red or white? Usually it's "winter = red" and "summer = white" but this is kind of a "red wine" situation.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
70 of 583

Petra R wrote:

Eve L wrote:

So the only precaution I have to take to stay relatively safe is to stay sober. (I'll still have some wine though. No point surviving if I lose all will to live.)

PERFECT advice! We can have wine together virtually.

Red or white? Usually it's "winter = red" and "summer = white" but this is kind of a "red wine" situation.


It is still winter, so I'm having red. Cheers/Skål/Saluti! Smiley Happy

________________________
Freelancing is a gamble - To win you need skill, luck and a strategy
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS