Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coronavirus

Highlighted
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
71 of 792

Petra R wrote:

The (so far) complete absence of deaths (spoke too soon. now 2 deaths in Germany Smiley Sad )  still very low number of serious and critical cases in Germany

Considering the quality of the wine that Germany produces, I'm not surprised you guys are hard to kill. I'm not even sure COVID-19 can survive in an organism containing German wine. I don't even understand how people who drink it can survive.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
72 of 792

For the dog lovers:

image.png

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
73 of 792

Petra R wrote:

Oddly*, Germany with its over 1100 confirmed cases, has 0 fatalities and very few (compared to Italy, especially) serious/ critical cases to date.

I expect a sharp increase of new cases in Italy after that ridiculous mass "escape" south after the news of the exclusion zone was leaked...

eta: * I say "oddly" - because whilst Germany has what's amongst the best health systems in the world, I am not sure that completely explains it.

You gotta be old, very young, or a smoker for it to kill you.

So, my neighbors went on a cruise even though we kept making fun of them and said they gonna die from beer virus if they go. Now they are saying that people who went on cruises should self-quarantine. Guess who is "working from home" in the house next to me. lmao

We always hang out on Friday nights and I want to hear her stories so badly but I'm kinda wondering if I should tell her to stay away from me for 2 weeks. lmao

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
74 of 792

Jennifer M wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Oddly*, Germany with its over 1100 confirmed cases, has 0 fatalities and very few (compared to Italy, especially) serious/ critical cases to date.

You gotta be old, very young, or a smoker for it to kill you.

Not necessarily. "very young" is actually a good way not to die from it. No infected children under the age of 9 have died so far. The problem with them is that they may infect others who might die.

Old is bad (the huge number of old people in Italy must be in part due to the high death rate)

Smoker is bad (loads of Italians smoke)

Personally, I am not so worried about dying from it. I am worried about 1. getting sick enough to end up in an Italian hospital, which are truly unbelievably horrible, and 2. infecting others.

I am staying put. I am staying away from all humans for the time being.

(Just) under 1000 new cases in Italy yesterday, but a record number of new deaths with 168 in 24 hours.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
75 of 792

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 15.16.58.png

Red dots: Virus
Blue dot: Me

Think I'm good.

Petra, if you get too bored, travel south and come and visit. Bring some cats. Smiley Happy

Eve L Member Since: Feb 17, 2017
76 of 792

I spoke too soon. The virus is now in Malta. Not on my little island, but guess it's just a matter of time. It had to happen at some point, so perhaps it's just as well to get it over with sooner rather than later. 

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
77 of 792

Eve L wrote:

I spoke too soon. The virus is now in Malta. 

IT WASN'T ME!!!! 

Interesting thing one of my Facebook friends wrote today:

"People aren't surprised when I tell them there are 13,000 Covid-19 cases outside China, or when I tell them this number doubles every 3 days. But when I tell them that if growth continues at this rate, we'll have 1.7 million cases in 3 weeks, they're astonished."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Miriam H Member Since: May 16, 2017
78 of 792

Petra R wrote:

Eve L wrote:

I spoke too soon. The virus is now in Malta. 

IT WASN'T ME!!!! 

Interesting thing one of my Facebook friends wrote today:

"People aren't surprised when I tell them there are 13,000 Covid-19 cases outside China, or when I tell them this number doubles every 3 days. But when I tell them that if growth continues at this rate, we'll have 1.7 million cases in 3 weeks, they're astonished."

https://www.propublica.org/article/i-lived-through-sars-and-reported-on-ebola-these-are-the-question...

I found this article incredibly interesting from a "disease management" and "reporting" standpoint - particulary with how we consider data/numbers. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
79 of 792

Miriam H wrote:

https://www.propublica.org/article/i-lived-through-sars-and-reported-on-ebola-these-are-the-question...

I found this article incredibly interesting from a "disease management" and "reporting" standpoint - particulary with how we consider data/numbers. 

Indeed, it's an excellent article. However, it doesn't tackle the point that seems the strangest to me: why are people desperately trying to stock toilet paper. Just heard on the French radio about people fighting over supplies of toilet paper in a supermarket, somewhere in the States. To me, food would be more important for survival, I've never heard of people eating toilet paper.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
80 of 792

There are 8 presumptive cases in my county. Had an eye appointment today and thought about canceling. Wanted to ask if any of his staff had been skiing, which is what one guy who definitely has it was doing ... he had contact with a lot of people.

Like Petra, I don't usually freak out - but I have medical stuff coming up that will involve poking and prodding and hospital stays. So yeah, I'm a bit freaked. Ordering things online is helpful, but then I start to think about where most product is coming from. Going to make an effort to "buy local".

Scary stuff. Even scarier is how our idiot president is handling this thing.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS