cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country eligibility

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
1 of 17

There are a few countries that are barred from Upwork, but I imagine that others in potential conflict areas could also be barred, if temporarily. Could a mod tell me if Palestine/Gaza is one of these.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 17

Unless they have a crystal ball, I very much doubt anyone knows which country the US government will initiate sanctions against......

Community Guru
3 of 17

These are on the prohibited list:

• Iran
  • North Korea
  • Sudan
  • Syria
  • Crimea
  • Cuba
  • Individual nationals of Cuba
  • Any other country restricted by law (this changes occasionally)

But there is also the SDN list (link given by Upwork) and it seems as if there is considerable doubt about Palestine/Gaza - but it is not clear. I have just had an invitation from this country, hence my question.

Community Guru
4 of 17

Is the client's payment method verified? In that case I would not worry about it. That only concerns specific individuals or organisations of political / criminal standing as far as I am aware, and personally I would not worry about it as long as their payment method is verified and you have a contract.

Community Guru
5 of 17

@Petra R wrote:

Is the client's payment method verified? In that case I would not worry about it. That only concerns specific individuals or organisations of political / criminal standing as far as I am aware, and personally I would not worry about it as long as their payment method is verified and you have a contract.

It's weird. There is nothing about payment at all.

Palestinian Territories
Gaza 08:54 PM

8 Jobs Posted
0% Hire Rate, 4 Open Jobs

This is all that is on the RHS of the page. The client has been a member since June 2017.

Afnane H Member Since: Oct 23, 2019
6 of 17

My friend is a competent freelancer and we have plenty of dedicated freelancers who want to move to upwork and even move their clients to use upwork but still the website rejects their profiles 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 17

re: "My friend is a competent freelancer and we have plenty of dedicated freelancers who want to move to upwork and even move their clients to use upwork but still the website rejects their profiles"

There are many freelancers on Upwork from the Palestinian Territories. Including yourself.

Upwork rejects freelancers every day, from all over the world. This is because Upwork has too many freelancers in many categories and does not have opportunities for new people working in those categories.

Your friend who lives in the Palestinian Territories is not being rejected as a new freelancer because of where they live.

Community Guru
Kanwal F Member Since: Apr 20, 2015
8 of 17

On the other side of coin, In case of having your country listed as prohibited, the freelancers will suffer the most. There are thousands of freelancers runnning their businesses through this platform, in case one country is banned, what those freelancers will do?

Even if its temporarily, it will create adverse impact. 

Community Guru
9 of 17

@Kanwal F wrote:

On the other side of coin, In case of having your country listed as prohibited, the freelancers will suffer the most. There are thousands of freelancers runnning their businesses through this platform, in case one country is banned

Even if its temporarily, it will create adverse impact. 

Indeed. This was the exact case when Crimea was sanctioned..... All those freelancers had their accounts put on hold. Nothing Upwork could do about it Smiley Sad

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
10 of 17

And the Upwork list is wrong, at least for Sudan.  Those prohibitions were lifted by Executive Order of Obama last January and do not appear to have been put back into place.

I suggest you check the US Department of State website which should list those countries which are prohibited.  Here is a helpful site:  https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Sanctions/Pages/ques_index.aspx

I assume that Upwork is following the US sanctions list...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS