Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Country eligibility

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
11 of 17

@Mary W wrote:

And the Upwork list is wrong, at least for Sudan.  Those prohibitions were lifted by Executive Order of Obama last January and do not appear to have been put back into place.

I suggest you check the US Department of State website which should list those countries which are prohibited.  Here is a helpful site:  https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Sanctions/Pages/ques_index.aspx

I assume that Upwork is following the US sanctions list...

Thanks Mary, Upwork does give a link and if the country is off limits, I can't quite understand how he was able to create a profile in the first place.

I am sick to death of getting unsuitable job suggestions in my emails, unsuitable jobs in my job feed and now I have to put up with "invitations" which I have to reply to from clients who do not have a right to a profile.

I have just had another invitation for a translation job, which is clearly a breach of coypright. I couldn't be bothered to report it.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 17

Nichola,

People located in Palestinian Territories are allowed to register on Upwork.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
13 of 17

Thanks for this,  Valeria,

Given there is no payment on the client's profile, verified or unverified, I applied with caution. I don't think I will get a reply, but we'll see.

Omg C Member Since: Oct 2, 2018
14 of 17

Hi Valeria,

Are these lmitation by location or nationality ?

For examole if somebiody from syria but living on London, still can not work?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
15 of 17

Hi Omg,

Unfortunately we can't advise you on whether you are eligible to work on Upwork. Regardless of where you are living, you are responsible for ensuring you can lawfully do so. If you are not clear on whether you can use Upwork to find and perform services for clients, you may wish to discuss your situation with an immigration attorney or other trusted adviser.

Thanks!

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
16 of 17

You can also take a look at the US Treasury Department website which has a wealth of information about sanctions.

Community Guru
17 of 17

@Omg C wrote:

Hi Valeria,

Are these lmitation by location or nationality ?

For examole if somebiody from syria but living on London, still can not work?

Omg,

If you are in Britain legally, you will be allowed to work on Upwork. The best thing you could do though is to go to Citizen's Advice who will help you to understand how taxation works for freelancers, which is quite lenient in the UK. You will find a CA in almost any city in the UK. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS