Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covid 19

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
1 of 14

So,I am partcipating in a Covid 19 vaccine test of the AstraZeneca stuff.  Got my first shot yesterday - no bad effects so far except a very minor headache and some nasal allergies. Not unusual for me this time of year anyway.  Second shot in 29 days.

Should be interesting.  I was one of the first to test the Salk polio vaccine around 1954when I was in second grade.  Got the placebo so then got the real shots.  Of course, it was just a couple of years later that the Sabin sugar cube vaccine came out.  I've always been pretty proud of my participation, although it was my parents' and pediatrician's decision.

So, we'll see.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 14

If you grow an extra arm or go blind, let us know Mary. I'm waiting for everyone else to do it before I do. lol

I have 3 people I hang out with all the time and we were saying there is just no way all four of us haven't been exposed. We're either really lucky or asymptomatic idk. But all four of us are going to push our luck and wait for everyone else to test out the vaccine lol

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
3 of 14

This is a Phase III trial, primarily looking at allergic reactions to the vaccine.  And they pay me, so there's that.  Already paid for yesterday on a debit card.  $100 per visit, $25 per telephone call.

I actually think I had it last November in Wisconsin.  I had travelled within 2 weeks, ran a high fever, was totally debilitated and developed the worst cough ever.  The dr. gave me cough pills, steroids and antibiotics which didn't help at all.  I was on the sofa pretty much full time for 2 1/2 weeks.  I had already gotten the flu shot and I never, ever get sick.  Although it was out of the "time frame", they have discovered cases in Chicago last Nov.  And I went through 3 airports so...

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
4 of 14

And for all you know, I'm already a one-armed blind old lady...

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
5 of 14

Mary W wrote:

And for all you know, I'm already a one-armed blind old lady...

<3

I'm glad to hear you have a chad immune system though and might have had it and survived. My sister's in-laws had it and he is a recent cancer survivor. They made it too and I was all 'dayummm that's pretty awesome.'

I hear ya about blindness. It's the one thing I feel like went to crap overnight after 40. Like one day I could see things close-up just fine and the next day I couldn't. lol I'm kinda excited to get glasses though (inb4 google glasses jokes lol)

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
6 of 14

I wore glasses from the time I was 7 until 2007 when I got cataract surgery.  20/20 and 20/40.  Wonderful stuff.

luce-neidert
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
7 of 14

Mary W wrote:

So,I am partcipating in a Covid 19 vaccine test of the AstraZeneca stuff.  Got my first shot yesterday - no bad effects so far except a very minor headache and some nasal allergies. Not unusual for me this time of year anyway.  Second shot in 29 days.

Should be interesting.  I was one of the first to test the Salk polio vaccine around 1954when I was in second grade.  Got the placebo so then got the real shots.  Of course, it was just a couple of years later that the Sabin sugar cube vaccine came out.  I've always been pretty proud of my participation, although it was my parents' and pediatrician's decision.

So, we'll see.

Mary, you must be extremely brave. I would never do that. I hid in the toilets when the pupils in my primary school were being given vacines against the polio, and I haven't evolved much since.

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
8 of 14

Luce, I did my research first.  I carefully read the information given me about the specific test, which was also explained verbally by a nurse.  I really don't think I'm being brave, just proactive.  And I may well be getting the placebo anyway.

As a child, I got alllergy shots, 3 at a time and sometimes 3 times a week.  Shots don't faze me after that!

luce-neidert
Community Guru
Luce N Member Since: Oct 9, 2016
9 of 14

Mary W wrote:

Luce, I did my research first.  I carefully read the information given me about the specific test, which was also explained verbally by a nurse.  I really don't think I'm being brave, just proactive.  And I may well be getting the placebo anyway.

As a child, I got alllergy shots, 3 at a time and sometimes 3 times a week.  Shots don't faze me after that!

All right, you've convinced me. I'm glad there are people like you, willing to volunteer for that type of things. Thank you, Mary!

mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
10 of 14

Got my second shot yesterday.  No reaction at all so far. Perhaps I got the placebo. 

The vaccine I am testing has been released in the UK and India.  It doesn't need super refrigeration and it's quite inexpensive compared to the other two that are out so it's perfect for a country like India.

Meanwhile, one of my sons tested positive (2 out of 3 tests), quarantined appropriately, but never had a single symptom, thank God. What a strange disease.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS