🐈
» Forums » Coffee Break » Re: Covid 19
Page options
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Covid 19

So,I am partcipating in a Covid 19 vaccine test of the AstraZeneca stuff.  Got my first shot yesterday - no bad effects so far except a very minor headache and some nasal allergies. Not unusual for me this time of year anyway.  Second shot in 29 days.

Should be interesting.  I was one of the first to test the Salk polio vaccine around 1954when I was in second grade.  Got the placebo so then got the real shots.  Of course, it was just a couple of years later that the Sabin sugar cube vaccine came out.  I've always been pretty proud of my participation, although it was my parents' and pediatrician's decision.

So, we'll see.

13 REPLIES 13
lysis10
Community Member

If you grow an extra arm or go blind, let us know Mary. I'm waiting for everyone else to do it before I do. lol

I have 3 people I hang out with all the time and we were saying there is just no way all four of us haven't been exposed. We're either really lucky or asymptomatic idk. But all four of us are going to push our luck and wait for everyone else to test out the vaccine lol

This is a Phase III trial, primarily looking at allergic reactions to the vaccine.  And they pay me, so there's that.  Already paid for yesterday on a debit card.  $100 per visit, $25 per telephone call.

I actually think I had it last November in Wisconsin.  I had travelled within 2 weeks, ran a high fever, was totally debilitated and developed the worst cough ever.  The dr. gave me cough pills, steroids and antibiotics which didn't help at all.  I was on the sofa pretty much full time for 2 1/2 weeks.  I had already gotten the flu shot and I never, ever get sick.  Although it was out of the "time frame", they have discovered cases in Chicago last Nov.  And I went through 3 airports so...

And for all you know, I'm already a one-armed blind old lady...

Mary W wrote:

And for all you know, I'm already a one-armed blind old lady...

❤️

I'm glad to hear you have a chad immune system though and might have had it and survived. My sister's in-laws had it and he is a recent cancer survivor. They made it too and I was all 'dayummm that's pretty awesome.'

I hear ya about blindness. It's the one thing I feel like went to crap overnight after 40. Like one day I could see things close-up just fine and the next day I couldn't. lol I'm kinda excited to get glasses though (inb4 google glasses jokes lol)

I wore glasses from the time I was 7 until 2007 when I got cataract surgery.  20/20 and 20/40.  Wonderful stuff.

luce-neidert
Community Member

Mary W wrote:

So,I am partcipating in a Covid 19 vaccine test of the AstraZeneca stuff.  Got my first shot yesterday - no bad effects so far except a very minor headache and some nasal allergies. Not unusual for me this time of year anyway.  Second shot in 29 days.

Should be interesting.  I was one of the first to test the Salk polio vaccine around 1954when I was in second grade.  Got the placebo so then got the real shots.  Of course, it was just a couple of years later that the Sabin sugar cube vaccine came out.  I've always been pretty proud of my participation, although it was my parents' and pediatrician's decision.

So, we'll see.

Mary, you must be extremely brave. I would never do that. I hid in the toilets when the pupils in my primary school were being given vacines against the polio, and I haven't evolved much since.

Luce, I did my research first.  I carefully read the information given me about the specific test, which was also explained verbally by a nurse.  I really don't think I'm being brave, just proactive.  And I may well be getting the placebo anyway.

As a child, I got alllergy shots, 3 at a time and sometimes 3 times a week.  Shots don't faze me after that!

Mary W wrote:

Luce, I did my research first.  I carefully read the information given me about the specific test, which was also explained verbally by a nurse.  I really don't think I'm being brave, just proactive.  And I may well be getting the placebo anyway.

As a child, I got alllergy shots, 3 at a time and sometimes 3 times a week.  Shots don't faze me after that!

All right, you've convinced me. I'm glad there are people like you, willing to volunteer for that type of things. Thank you, Mary!

Got my second shot yesterday.  No reaction at all so far. Perhaps I got the placebo. 

The vaccine I am testing has been released in the UK and India.  It doesn't need super refrigeration and it's quite inexpensive compared to the other two that are out so it's perfect for a country like India.

Meanwhile, one of my sons tested positive (2 out of 3 tests), quarantined appropriately, but never had a single symptom, thank God. What a strange disease.

Mary W wrote:

Got my second shot yesterday.  No reaction at all so far. Perhaps I got the placebo. 

The vaccine I am testing has been released in the UK and India.  It doesn't need super refrigeration and it's quite inexpensive compared to the other two that are out so it's perfect for a country like India.

Meanwhile, one of my sons tested positive (2 out of 3 tests), quarantined appropriately, but never had a single symptom, thank God. What a strange disease.

I'm so pleased your son has no symptoms - even more pleased he quarantined. Covid is weird and is becoming weirder. The UK is bending under the new strain - the two new strains - which have reached other countries in Europe. With your second shot, you will be safe. The discussion now is the length of time before getting the booster. Stay safe despite the vaccine. 

My son works in a medical office.  After his diagnosis, he had to report online daily to the state of Wisconsin, with his symptoms.  He had to do the same thing daily with the large healthcare corporation that he works for.  I wonder if not having symptoms would affect whether he can get it again but I believe he will get the vaccination soon no matter what.

Mary, thank you for participating in the trials. Without you and hundreds of thousands of others like you we'd be nowhere. The Astra-Zeneca vaccine differs from Moderna and Pfizer in that it's a much more traditional vaccine. It uses an adenovirus to carry a snipped of the COVID9 virus and enter the cell, necessary to stimulate the immune system. It is probably very safe.

It has two drawbacks the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines don't share: If you have been infected earlier with adenovirus, there's a chance you'll have antibodiies that will kill it before it can deliver the snippet to the cell. Much more likely in men over 50 than women of any age. Also, adenoviruses produce symptoms nearly identical to COVID19 at the beginning, so the patient may undergo needless worry.

I've been hesitant to post on the pandemic; two former friends have cut me off for (1) disagreeing with experts at WHO about the disease (I was right), and (2) saying that the disease was serious but no reason for panic, which the former friend said meant I was trying to downplay it. I'm one of the few former physicians on UW and have decided people can choose to read what I write or not. Best of luck, and thanks again.

shariful_siraji
Community Member

Thanks for the contribution dear. Live long. Heart

Latest Articles
Learning Paths