cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy Ideas for Video

Community Guru
Marissa S Member Since: Feb 6, 2008
1 of 13
I just learned that we can add videos to our profile, haha.. must be old stuff. So, I'm thinking of me singing to the tunes of Backstreet Boys with the line: 'I don't care who you are, where you're from, what you did... as long as you pay me' hehe Smiley Happy
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
2 of 13

When I click on Marissa’s photo or name, it just takes me to her forum activity. What if it’s a client wanting to check the profile? I’m curious to know why for some it displays the profile and for others just the forum activity.

Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
3 of 13

Both of y'alls display forum data.

My work profile is private.

I assume it just shows my forum data also.

had a look at vesna's profile and it took me to her work one.

Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
4 of 13

This is really annoyingSmiley Mad I don't want to see people's forum activity, want to see their oDesk profile.

Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
5 of 13

Yep - it's more than annoying - how canwe contribute or understand anything if we can't see anything about the contributor as a freelancer/client? It's like the forum is now a great big social network in its own right, and I didn't come here for social networking - I avoid it like the plague. I talk to people on here not so they can be my friends and I can like them if they like me - did that in primary school and got over it. I talk to people on here about our freelancing experiences - so I want to be linked to their freelancing profiles, and I'm not bothered who they like or don't like, or who likes the things they say to who else.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
6 of 13

Guys, the freelancer and client profile is only visible from the forum if their profile's privacy setting is set to public. If the profile is set to private or oDesk users only, the forum link goes to the user's forum profile instead. I checked this with my own profile and some lurkers I know Smiley Happy

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
7 of 13

So if a profile is set to "oDesk users only" (like mine), oDesk users (who are the only people who use the forum) can't see the profile when linking to it from the forum? Well that's really intuitive! (in a strange oDesky kind of way)

Could someone check mine and see if that's true?

Now, where's that list I'd just put down?

*** not a guru, just tell it like it is..***

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
8 of 13

Stephen, are you sure it's set to oDesk users only? I can see your work profile. Mine is set the same way but my link only goes to my forum profile. I give up trying to understand this!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
9 of 13

OK Diane - thanks for that. You're right - my profile was set to public. Who set it to public? Not me. I set it to oDesk users only. A robot has been in and changed it. This happens a lot - something on your profile randomly changes and you may know nothing about it until some good person (not a guru  Smiley WinkSmiley Wink alerts you to it. Another example - if you answer an interview request by ticking "too busy", a robot goes and marks you off as unavailable for jobs (and may, or may not, tell you about it).

Ha ha - so I just changed it back to "oDesk users only" - and now you only see my Facebooky "let's be friends with everyone in the world and share my whole life and the colour of my underpants with anyone who likes me, and especially if I Iike them back,and what I said about how much I liked them (except anything about my professional life as a  proofreader and copyeditor)" profile.

So - where does that leave us??

a) whatever way you set your profile visibility, you need to check it regularly, because it may randomly be changed, and

b) if you decide that you don't want your oDesk profile to be visible on an external (eg) Google search, but only to oDesk users, then that means it's not visible when linking from a forum only accessible through oDesk, and only accessible to oDesk users.

And the solution - choose to make it public to the world ( see above...) just so you can participate fully in the private forums.

You couldn't make it up   Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
Lyam B Member Since: Nov 3, 2014
10 of 13

Haha, I've been thinking of uploading a video too, but I'd like something different. If you've ever watched How I Met Your Mother, the you'll know Barney's CV video - that's my idea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao036CaZLng

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS