Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: Crazy Job Postings Part II

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
91 of 653

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
92 of 653

@Renata S wrote:

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 


Mystery novel! LOL good one. Whats with all the music jingle jobs today? And on that note, Renata, I have no idea what you do, because your profile is private.

 

And, staying on topic - Thanks...but heck, if we want to go of on tangents, that's fine too, heh. The old Crazy Jobs thread was a little boring sometimes.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
93 of 653

@Pandora H wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 


Mystery novel! LOL good one. Whats with all the music jingle jobs today? And on that note, Renata, I have no idea what you do, because your profile is private.

 

And, staying on topic - Thanks...but heck, if we want to go of on tangents, that's fine too, heh. The old Crazy Jobs thread was a little boring sometimes.


The IT jingle job showed up in my job feed. I've stopped asking why things like that happen (might be my keywords or theirs). It made me curious about what other opportunities might exist for jingle writers since I'm just sitting around waiting for instructions from a client. As for me, I mainly copyedit IT and acadmic stuff. I don't mind doing other types of work, but I don't know if I tend to get pigeon-holed because people see the words "academic" and "technical" and quietly freak out if it's a fiction contract. Also, there's whole a lot of competition for editing jobs, so these days, people are asking for very specific qualifications. I miss the Wild West days of ODesk when you could apply for just about anything and sometimes even get some things you didn't expect to land.  

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
94 of 653

@Renata S wrote:

@Pandora H wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

Hi, Pandora. I'm going to make an attempt to stay on track and stick to the topic.

 

I just saw this one. The first line of the job description is as follows:

I will try and give some detail without giving away too much.

 

Oh, please, I do love a contract that unfolds like a mystery novel. 

 

 

Also seen in passing: 

 

Technology firm (network, security, software) wants a musical jingle. A dental clinic specializing in orthodontics is also looking for a jingle. And if you are a jingle writer who specializes in Hindi, Urdu or Tagalog, there are curently jobs available. 

 

 


Mystery novel! LOL good one. Whats with all the music jingle jobs today? And on that note, Renata, I have no idea what you do, because your profile is private.

 

And, staying on topic - Thanks...but heck, if we want to go of on tangents, that's fine too, heh. The old Crazy Jobs thread was a little boring sometimes.


The IT jingle job showed up in my job feed. I've stopped asking why things like that happen (might be my keywords or theirs). It made me curious about what other opportunities might exist for jingle writers since I'm just sitting around waiting for instructions from a client. As for me, I mainly copyedit IT and acadmic stuff. I don't mind doing other types of work, but I don't know if I tend to get pigeon-holed because people see the words "academic" and "technical" and quietly freak out if it's a fiction contract. Also, there's whole a lot of competition for editing jobs, so these days, people are asking for very specific qualifications. I miss the Wild West days of ODesk when you could apply for just about anything and sometimes even get some things you didn't expect to land.  


 You are in a tough niche!

Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
95 of 653

Google Hangouts, Skype, and Webcams, oh my!

 

Got a new Digital Agency VA job in my feed a little while ago. It's a big job post, but during my initial scan I saw Google Hangouts (but in this context, no reason for alarm). They want to conduct the Interview over Skype, which is normal for this kind of client.

 

Not normal, and downright WTF: They want the winning freelancer to run Google Hangouts for 6 hours a day (sorta spcific schedule), with the freelancers webcam running the entire time.

 

Pay Rate: crappy. they hire a lot of 3rd world country members, and pay them peanuts.

 

Between the lines: they want someone for 6 hours each day, at probably $6.00 an hour, while the freelancer runs something really intrusive on their end, to prove they are actually at their computer. Client has MAJOR trust issues.

 

I''m seriously tempted to bid and say "yo, thats what the Upwork Time Tracker does. Do you want help hiring for this position? I'd love to give you some advice."

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
96 of 653

Fresh in the listings is an "artist" looking for someone to design their portfolio to present to a certain late night talkshow host whose name vaguely rhymes with Reebin Mold-hair.

 

Yeah, right, dude. In ya dreams.

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
97 of 653

@Jess C wrote:

Fresh in the listings is an "artist" looking for someone to design their portfolio to present to a certain late night talkshow host whose name vaguely rhymes with Reebin Mold-hair.

 

Yeah, right, dude. In ya dreams.


I think that one deserves some extra special marks for the virtuosity of the rhyming effort.  

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
98 of 653

@Renata S wrote:

@Jess C wrote:

Fresh in the listings is an "artist" looking for someone to design their portfolio to present to a certain late night talkshow host whose name vaguely rhymes with Reebin Mold-hair.

 

Yeah, right, dude. In ya dreams.


I think that one deserves some extra special marks for the virtuosity of the rhyming effort.  


That was all me. :-) The job title contains the actual name... the chutzpah of some people!

Community Guru
Renata S Member Since: Jun 10, 2014
99 of 653

@Jess C wrote:

@Renata S wrote:

@Jess C wrote:

Fresh in the listings is an "artist" looking for someone to design their portfolio to present to a certain late night talkshow host whose name vaguely rhymes with Reebin Mold-hair.

 

Yeah, right, dude. In ya dreams.


I think that one deserves some extra special marks for the virtuosity of the rhyming effort.  


That was all me. :-) The job title contains the actual name... the chutzpah of some people!


 I totally meant you. I find the forum messages are far more entertaining as a result of people trying to figure out what they can and can't say. I think we should have the "best of" people not saying stuff as a forum post. It makes me feel like I'm at a [denomination I'm not sure I can mention] Bible camp some days. [steer manure. Am I allowed to say Bible? I know I get shut down for politically recognizable stuff.] 

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
100 of 653

I saw one this morning that said "60 blog posts for only $50!" as if the selling point was how low the budget was. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS